University Hospital Frankfurt am Main
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery (26137)
Specialized in: cardiothoracic surgery
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery at the University Hospital Frankfurt am Main ranks among the top German medical institutions specializing in the surgical treatment of heart diseases!
The department offers the full range of first-class medical care for patients with diseases of the heart and thoracic organs that require surgical treatment. The availability in the department of advanced technical base allows for the most sparing treatment and minimally invasive surgery. The main focuses of clinical practice include coronary artery bypass grafting, modern procedures for heart valve reconstruction and replacement, treatment of diseases of the thoracic aorta, as well as treatment of heart failure by implanting an artificial heart. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Thomas Walther.
Interdisciplinary cooperation with the Departments of Cardiology, Anesthesiology, Intensive Care, Radiology, and others plays a key role in the successful work of the department. To guarantee patients optimal treatment results, due attention is also paid to the development of modern therapies in clinical and experimental research.
The range of the department’s medical services includes:
- Diagnostics and surgical treatment of coronary heart disease
- Coronary artery bypass grafting (classical method and minimally invasive surgery)
- Diagnostics and surgical treatment of valvular heart disease (aortic, mitral and tricuspid valves)
- Congenital heart valve diseases
- Degenerative diseases of the heart valves
- Calcification of the heart valves
- Inflammatory processes in the heart valves (endocarditis)
- Rheumatic heart valve lesions
- Secondary heart valve lesions
- Dilatation catheter techniques for heart valve stenosis
- Reconstructive interventions
- Heart valve replacement (mechanical, biological prostheses, homograft, pulmonary autografts (Ross procedure))
- Diagnostics and surgical treatment of aortic diseases
- Classic surgery
- Hybrid interventions
- Interventional procedures
- Diagnostics and surgical treatment of heart diseases in patients from high-risk groups
- Diagnostics and surgical treatment of heart failure
- Artificial heart implantation
- Diagnostics and surgical treatment of heart arrhythmias
- Implantation of pacemakers and defibrillators
- Cardiac resynchronization therapy
- Revision surgery after the implantation of pacemaker or defibrillator, including using an excimer laser
- Implantation of epicardial pacemakers
- Thoracic surgery
- Lung cancer
- Lung metastases
- Benign lung tumors
- Mediastinal tumors (for example, thymus tumors, swollen lymph nodes)
- Pulmonary fibrosis
- Pneumothorax (lung collapse)
- Pleural tumors and inflammatory processes (pleural effusion, empyema, pleural mesothelioma, pleural carcinomatosis)
- Benign and malignant chest wall tumors
- Congenital malformations (for example, funnel chest)
- Minimally invasive surgery (video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery)
- Lung resection
- Surgical interventions with lung tissue preservation (helps to avoid total lung removal)
- Surgical removal of lung metastases
- Lung volume reduction in pulmonary emphysema (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
- Surgical interventions for infectious diseases
- Minimally invasive correction of funnel chest deformity
- Diagnostics and surgical treatment of other diseases of the heart, thoracic organs
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery.
University Hospital Frankfurt am Main:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.