University Hospital Frankfurt am Main
Department of Urology (26138)
Felix Kyoung-Hwan Chun
Specialized in: urology
About the Department of Urology at University Hospital Frankfurt am Main
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Urology at the University Hospital Frankfurt am Main ranks among the top German medical institutions specializing in prostate cancer treatment!
The department offers the full range of high-precision diagnostic studies and effective therapeutic options for men with diseases of the genitourinary system. The doctors of the department specialize in the treatment of prostate cancer, benign prostatic hyperplasia, kidney, testicular cancers, urolithiasis, erectile dysfunction and urinary incontinence. There are also excellent qualifications in the field of reconstructive urology. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Felix Kyoung-Hwan Chun.
The department has advanced infrastructure, excellent diagnostic equipment and state-of-the-art operating rooms. It is common practice for the department’s specialists to perform minimally invasive interventions using the da Vinci surgical system. Such operations are characterized by minimal trauma, small blood loss, low level of postoperative complications, and also provide a short period of hospitalization and speedy recovery of the patient.
It is worth noting that the department’s priority focus is prostate cancer treatment. If diagnosed with this pathology, the doctor will conduct a comprehensive consultation with the patient, during which he will inform him about the diagnosis, the stage of the disease, treatment options and the risks they may entail. The doctor necessarily takes into account all the individual wishes of the patient.
Depending on the clinical indications, the therapeutic spectrum covers open surgery, minimally invasive interventions and robotic surgery (da Vinci robot). Thanks to innovative treatment methods, the surgeons of the department manage to preserve potency and men's health. Also, the doctors of the department have at their disposal well developed effective treatment regimens for advanced prostate cancer. In elderly patients, the doctors often use an "active monitoring" technique, and in the case of slow progression the patient manages to avoid radical treatments.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of prostate cancer
- PSA test
- Prostate biopsy
- Imaging studies
- Open surgery
- Minimally invasive interventions
- Robot-assisted surgery
- "Active monitoring" technique for elderly patients
- Diagnostics and treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia
- Holmium Laser Enucleation of the Prostate (HoLEP)
- Transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP)
- Open surgery
- Prostate artery embolization
- Diagnostics and treatment of kidney cancer (laparoscopic, open and robot-assisted surgery)
- Radical nephrectomy
- Organ-preserving tumor resection
- Diagnostics and treatment of testicular cancer
- Surgical treatment with the possibility to preserve fertility
- Diagnostics and treatment of kidney stone disease
- Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy
- Endoscopic stone removal using rigid and flexible ureterorenoscopy, including laser therapy
- Percutaneous nephrolitholapaxy
- Diagnostics and treatment of urinary incontinence in men and women
- Stress incontinence
- Imperative urinary incontinence
- Mixed urinary incontinence
- Neurogenic bladder
- Extraurethral urinary incontinence
- Exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles
- Pessary use
- Vaginal and rectal electrostimulation
- Drug therapy
- Injection therapy (Botox)
- Sacral neuromodulation with bladder stimulator implantation
- Artificial sphincter implantation
- Surgical treatment using slings, Burch colposuspension, sacropexy
- Diagnostics and treatment of erectile dysfunction
- Drug therapy
- Vacuum pump therapy
- Penile prosthetics
- Arteriovenous shunt coiling (in collaboration with the Department of Radiology)
- Reconstructive urology
- Renal pelvis plasty (robot-assisted procedure)
- Artificial sphincter implantation in patients with urinary incontinence, as well as in patients after radical prostatectomy
- Interventions for urethral stenosis
- Endoscopic procedures for the treatment of urethral stricture
- Surgical correction of penile curvature
- Other medical services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Felix Kyoung-Hwan Chun
Prof. Dr. med. Felix Kyoung-Hwan Chun is the Head of the Department of Urology at the University Hospital Frankfurt am Main. His main clinical focuses include urologic oncology, especially prostate cancer treatment, laser surgery for benign prostatic hyperplasia and urethral reconstructive surgery. In addition, Prof. Chun is an expert in minimally invasive urologic surgery and has extensive experience in the use of modern surgical system da Vinci.
Prior to the position at the University Hospital Frankfurt am Main, he worked as a Senior Physician in the Department of Urology at the University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf. Many of his scientific works were distinguished with prizes and awards.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Frankfurt
Department of Urology.
University Hospital Frankfurt am Main:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.