University Hospital Frankfurt am Main
Department of Cardiology and Angiology (26146)
Specialized in: cardiology, angiology
About the department
According to the Focus magazine rating of 2017, the Department of Cardiology and Angiology at the University Hospital Frankfurt ranks among the top German departments in the treatment of heart diseases!
The Department of Cardiology and Angiology at the University Hospital Frankfurt offers the full range of services in the field of diagnosis and treatment of cardiological and angiologic disorders. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. Andreas M. Zeiher.
In addition, there are available modern invasive/interventional treatment procedures. Such clinical pictures as heart rhythm disorders, heart failure, cardiac valve disorders, hypertension, etc. can be treated on the outpatient basis.
A major focus of the department is the catheter-supported treatment of structural heart diseases. First of all, this includes the interventional therapy of congenital or acquired heart valve diseases. For elderly or seriously ill patients, as well as young patients and patients with multiple previous operations, the specialists of the department may offer interventional therapy for the aortic valve (TAVI), pulmonary valve, mitral valve (e.g. MitraClip) or tricuspid valve. The choice of treatment method in the field of interventional heart valve therapy is discussed by an interdisciplinary heart team and decided individually for each patient.
The range of medical services in the field of cardiology:
- Basic cardiac diagnosis
- Echocardiography (including 4D)
- Invasive cardiology / Cardiac Catheter Laboratory
- Heart valve treatment
- Treatment with heart pacemaker / defibrillator
- Invasive electrophysiology
- Adults with congenital heart defects
- Cardiovascular imaging (MRT / CT)
The field of angiology specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of patients with arterial and venous vascular diseases outside the heart. The department has at its disposal all the methods for non-invasive and invasive vascular diagnosis and specializes in the treatment of patients with peripheral arterial occlusive disease (“window shopper's disease”). Narrowing in the pelvic and leg arteries often cause pain in the thighs or calf muscles when walking, which forces the patient to stop. In most cases, these strictures can be treated by a minimally invasive method in the Catheter Laboratory.
The range of medical services in the field of angiology:
- Percutaneous transluminal angioplasty (PTA)
- Cutting balloon angioplasty
- Drug-coated balloon angioplasty
- Stenting, including drug-coated stents
- Recanalisation of long-term, chronic occlusions
- Local intraarterial lysetherapy
- Autologous bone marrow cell therapy in the therapy-resistant course of peripheral arterial occlusive disease (PAD) in Fontaine Stage III-IV
- 1974 – 1981 Medical School, Albert-Ludwigs-University Freiburg
- 1979 – 1981 Thesis
- 1981 License to practice medicine
- 1981 – 1983 Resident, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Cardiology (Head: Prof. Dr. H. Just), University of Freiburg
- 1983 – 1986 Clinical Fellow, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Cardiology, University of Freiburg
- 1986 – 1987 Research Fellowship of the German Research Foundation (DFG) at Cedars-Sinai, Medical Centre, School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA,
- 1988 – 1990 Clinical Fellow, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Cardiology, University of Freiburg
- 1990 Assoc. Professor of Medicine
- 1990 – 1995 Director of Interventional Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Cardiology (Head: Prof. Dr. H. Just), University of Freiburg
- Since 1995 Head, Department of Internal Medicine III, Division of Cardiology/Nephrology/Angiology at J. W. Goethe-University of Frankfurt
- 2002 – 2004 Chairman, Working Group Interventional Cardiology, European Society of Cardiology
- 2001 – 2006 Vice Chairman, Board of Directors at J. W. Goethe – University of Frankfurt am Main
- 1991 Rudolf-Thauer-Award / German Society of Cardiology and Circulation Research
- 1995 Franz-Loogen-Preis / Society of Heart and Circulation Research Essen e.V.
- 2001 Fritz-Acker-Preis / Fritz-Acker-Foundation Bad Homburg v.d.H.
- 2004 CARIM-Lecture, University of Maastricht, The Netherlands
- 2005 HJC Swan Professorship, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, University of California, Los Angeles
- 2006 Princess Lilian Professorship / Belgian Society of Cardiology, University of Brussels
- 2007 Ernst-Jung-Preis für Medizin
- 2009 Paul-Morawitz-Preis of the German Cardiac Society
- 2009 Princesses’ Lecture, Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute, Sydney
- 2010 ISCTR Award, International Society for Cardiovascular Translational Research
- 2010 Stanley Davidson Lecture, Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh, Scotland
- 2012 Krakoff International Lecture, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston
Department of Cardiology and Angiology.
University Hospital Frankfurt am Main:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home