University Hospital Frankfurt am Main
Department of Radiation Therapy (279209)
Specialized in: radiation therapy
About the Department of Radiation Therapy at University Hospital Frankfurt am Main
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Radiation Therapy at the University Hospital Frankfurt am Main ranks among the top German medical facilities in the area of its specialization!
The department offers all types of modern radiation therapy for cancer treatment at the highest level of university medicine. The priorities of the department's work include the treatment of tumors of the gastrointestinal tract, urogenital system in men, gynecological tumors in women, oncopathologies of the nervous system, as well as head and neck tumors. Each department's specialist strives to ensure all the patients with the most effective and at the same time customized treatment. Due attention is also paid to radiation protection. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Claus Rödel.
Radiation therapy with chemotherapy and surgical treatment are the main treatment methods for many types of cancer. The chances of recovery are often increased due to a combination of different treatment methods. Thus, more than half of all cancers are curable today. The department's clinical activities are based on interdisciplinary collaboration of radiologists, medical physicists and radiobiologists. The department annually treats more than 1,300 patients with oncopathology, and this figure rises annually. As part of the University Cancer Center, the department guarantees each patient comprehensive treatment in accordance with the international standards.
The department is proud of its outstanding scientific achievements, which allow for the implementation of innovative treatments. Currently, the research activities of the specialists are focused on clinical research of targeted radiation therapy and interstitial brachytherapy, the combination of radiation with molecular targeted therapy and the concept of multimodal organ-sparing therapy.
The service range of the department includes:
- Organ-sparing radiochemotherapy in superficial or intramuscular sarcoma (as an alternative to surgical treatment)
- Preoperative radiochemotherapy in esophageal or cardial, pancreatic and rectal cancer
- Radiochemotherapy in anal canal cancer, as well as primary inoperable pancreatic cancer
- Postoperative radiochemotherapy in brain tumors
- Preoperative and postoperative radiochemotherapy of ENT cancers, bronchial cancer, as well as soft tissues
- Organ-sparing radiation therapy in breast cancer in women (with intraoperative radiation therapy)
- Consolidating or postoperative radiation therapy in prostate cancer
- Intraoperative (interstitial) radiation therapy (brachytherapy) in cancer of the prostate, cervix and uterus body
- CyberKnife (targeted radiosurgery)
- Other medical services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Claus Rödel
- 1987 - 1994 Study of Human Medicine at the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg.
- 1993 - 1994 Practical year in Jerusalem (Israel) and Glasgow (Scotland).
- 05.05.1994 State Examination.
- 07.1994 - 12.1995 Internship at the Clinic Bamberg and in the Department of Radiation Therapy at the University Hospital Erlangen.
- 01.1996 - 07.2002 Research Fellow in the Department of Radiation Therapy at the University Hospital Erlangen.
- 04.1996 - 12.1996 Research Fellowship at the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, USA.
- 09.2000 - 09.2001 Postgraduate training in Diagnostic Radiology at the Institute of Diagnostic Radiology of the University Hospital Erlangen.
- 14.05.2002 Board certification in Radiation Therapy, Bavarian Medical Association.
- Since 3.2007 W3 Professor and Head of the Department of Radiation Therapy at the University Hospital Frankfurt am Main.
- Since 04.2008 Clinical Director of the University Cancer Center (UCT) Frankfurt (Oncological Center of Excellence of the German Cancer Aid).
- 18.01.1995 Doctoral thesis defense, Medical Faculty of the University of Erlangen. Subject: "Effect of a simultaneous chemoradiation with cisplatin on the proliferation behavior of B14 cells in vitro".
- 06.02.2003 Habilitation, Medical Faculty of the University of Erlangen. Habilitation and Venia legendi in Radiation Therapy. Subject: "Prediction of tumor response in the simultaneous radiochemotherapy of rectal and bladder carcinoma".
Scholarships and Awards
- 1987 - 1994 Student Scholarship for highly gifted students from the State of Bavaria.
- 1996 Promotion Scholarship from the Bavarian Radiological Society.
- 2004 Hermann Holthusen Prize of the German Society for Radiation Oncology (DEGRO).
- 2005 ARO Award for Clinical Research in Radiation Oncology of the Working Group on Radiological Oncology (ARO) of the German Cancer Society.
- 2016 Research Award of the German Cancer Society (main prize winner).
- 2017 Breur Award of the European Society of Radiation Oncology (ESTRO).
Membership and Cooperation in Scientific Societies and Organizations
- Member of the "Principal Investigators" in Frankfurt as part of the German Consortium for Translational Cancer Research.
- Member of the German Society of Radiation Oncology (DEGRO), American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology (ASTRO) and Fellow of the European Society of Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology (ESTRO).
- Board Member of the Working Group on Radiation Oncology of the German Cancer Society.
- Founding Member of the Interdisciplinary Bladder Cancer Working Group (IABC) of the German Cancer Society.
- Expert Reviewer of the German Cancer Aid, Commission on Clinical Studies in Oncology.
- Collaboration in the S3 guidelines "Colorectal carcinoma" and "Bladder carcinoma" development process.
- Member of the Academy of Ethics in Medicine.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Frankfurt
Department of Radiation Therapy.
University Hospital Frankfurt am Main:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.