University Hospital Frankfurt am Main
Department of Radiotherapy and Oncology (279209)
Specialized in: radiotherapy, oncology
About the department
According to the Focus magazine rating of 2017, the Department of Radiotherapy and Oncology at the University Hospital Frankfurt ranks among the top German departments specializing in radiation therapy!
The Department of Radiotherapy and Oncology at the University Hospital Frankfurt offers the full range of modern methods for cancer treatment. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Claus Rödel.
It is staffed by 14 doctors, 10 physicians, 6 biologists, 16 radiology technical assistants, 14 medical personnel workers, 8 administrative officers and 3 research coordinators. The department treats about 1,300 patients every year.
Radiotherapy combined with chemotherapy and surgical treatment make up a cornerstone in cancer treatment. The combination of various treatment methods can increase the chances of recovery. Thus, almost a half of all cancers are curable today. The clinical activities of the department are based on the interdisciplinary cooperation of radiologists, medical physicists and radiobiologists.
The range of medical services of the department includes:
- Organ and function preserving radiochemotherapy for superficial or intramuscular sarcoma (as an alternative to primary cystectomy)
- Preoperative radiochemotherapy for cancer of the esophagus or cardia, pancreas and rectum
- Definitive radiochemotherapy for anal canal cancer and for primary inoperable pancreatic cancer
- Postoperative and definitive radiochemotherapy for brain tumors
- Postoperative and definitive radiochemotherapy of tumors of ear, throat and nose, cancer of bronchus and soft tissues
- Breast preserving radiotherapy for breast cancer in women (with intraoperative radiotherapy)
- Definitive or consolidation therapy for lymphomas
- Total body irradiation before the bone marrow transplant in children and adults
- Surgical (interstitial) radiation therapy (brachytherapy) for prostate, cervical and cervical body cancer
- CyberKnife (highly-precise radiosurgery)
- 1987 – 1994 Study of Human Medicine at the University of Erlangen–Nuremberg
- 1993 – 1994 Practical year in Jerusalem, Israel and Glasgow, Scotland
- 05/05/1994 State Examination
- 07/1994 – 12/1995 Internship at the Klinikum Bamberg and at the Radiation Therapy of the University Hospital Erlangen
- 1/1996 – 07/2002 Research Assistant at the Radiation Therapy of the University Hospital Erlangen
- 04/1996 – 12/1996 Research Fellowship at the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, USA
- 9/2000 – 9/2001 Postgraduate education in Diagnostic Radiology at the Institute of Diagnostic Radiology of the University Hospital Erlangen
- 14/05/2002 Recognition as medical specialist for radiotherapy (Bavarian State Chamber of Physicians)
- Since 3/2007 W3 Professor and Head of the Department of Radiotherapy and Oncology at the University Hospital Frankfurt am Main
- Since 4/2008 Clinical Director of the University Center for Tumor Diseases (UCT) Frankfurt (Oncological Center of Excellence of the German Cancer Aid)
- 18/01/1995 Medical Faculty of the University of Erlangen. Subject: "Effect of a simultaneous chemoradiation with cisplatin on the proliferation behavior of B14 cells in vitro"
- 06/02/2003 Medical Faculty of the University Erlangen: Lecturership and authorisation to teach in the field of Radiation Therapy. Subject: "Prediction of tumor response in the simultaneous radiochemotherapy of rectal and bladder carcinoma"
- 1987 – 1994 Study Scholarship for highly gifted students from the State of Bavaria.
- 1996 Promotion scholarship from the Bavarian Radiological Society
- 2004 Hermann Holthusen Prize of the German Society for Radiation Oncology (DEGRO)
- 2005 ARO Award for Clinical Research in the field of Radiation Oncology of the Working Association of Radiological Oncology (ARO) of the German Cancer Society
- 2016 DKG Research Award of the German Cancer Society (main prize winner)
- 2017 Breur Award of the European Society of Radiation Oncology (Estro)
Activities in Scientific Societies and Institutions:
- Member of the "Principal Investigators" in Frankfurt as part of the German Consortium for Translational Cancer Research
- Member of the German Society of Radiation Oncology (DEGRO), the American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology (ASTRO) and Fellow of the European Society of Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology (ESTRO)
- Board member of the Working Association for Radiation Oncology (ARO) of the German Cancer Society
- Founding member of the Interdisciplinary Bladder Cancer Working Group (IABC) of the German Cancer Society
- Expert reviewer of the German Cancer Aid, Commission on Clinical Studies in Oncology
- Scientific Advisory Board of the "Zeitschrift Strahlentherapie und Oncologie"
- Collaboration in the S3 guidelines "Colorectal carcinoma" and "Bladder carcinoma" development process
- Member of the Academy of Ethics in Medicine
Department of Radiotherapy and Oncology.
University Hospital Frankfurt am Main:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home