University Hospital Frankfurt am Main
Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine (279210)
Specialized in: pediatric and adolescent medicine
About the department
The Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine at the University Hospital Frankfurt specializes in 5 focuses and deals with the diagnosis and treatment of diseases in children and adolescents. The department has the best specialists and state-of-the-art medical equipment, which ensures the provision of high quality medical services. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. T. Klingebiel.
Neonatology: Treatment of premature and newborn babies
Neurology, Neurometabolics and Prevention: Pediatric neurological clinical pictures include:
- Epileptology (cerebral seizures and their differential diagnoses)
- Metabolic diseases that affect the nervous system
- Neuromuscular diseases (myopathies, diseases of the peripheral nerves)
- Congenital pathological diseases of the nervous system (spina bifida, hydrocephalus, neurofibromatosis)
- Developmental neurology (arrested development, cerebral palsy, speech development disorder, examination of premature babies)
- Neuro-oncology (brain tumors)
- Injuries of the nervous system (injuries of the skull base, spinal cord, peripheral nerves)
- Inflammatory diseases of the nervous system (meningitis, encephalitis, multiple sclerosis)
- Neuropsychological deviations
Allergology, Pneumology and Cystic Fibrosis: Treatment of infectious, allergic diseases and respiratory tract diseases
- Outpatient Cystic Fibrosis Clinic
- Outpatient Gastroenterology Clinic
Oncology, Hematology and Hemostaseology: Treatment of diseases of the hematopoietic system and malignant diseases in children and adolescents
- Outpatient Hematology and Oncology Clinic
- Outpatient Clinic for Blood-clotting Disorders
- Outpatient Clinic for Angioedema
- Outpatient Clinic for Thalassemia
Stem Cell Transplantation and Immunology: Treatment of benign and malignant diseases by stem cell transplantation and immunological diseases
- Outpatient Clinic for Immune Deficiency
The Outpatient Clinic for Pediatric Cardiology provides treatment to about 4,000 patients every year. The range starts with congenital heart defects, cardiological examination and the further monitoring of medication, for example, in oncological diseases or antipsychotic therapy, and ends up with the acquired heart defect. In cooperation with the University Hospital of Giessen (Prof. Scranz), the Pediatric Cardiology Center of Giessen offers an advanced experience in this field. The department also includes an interdisciplinary intensive care unit, which is supervised together with the Department of Surgery, in particular, with the Department of Pediatric Surgery (Prof. Rolle). Since 2014 the department has its own MRI machine, which is used to examine head and other organs. There can be carried out the procedures of sedation and anesthesia for young children.
The Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine offers the entire spectrum of non-invasive and invasive pediatric cardiologic diagnosis:
- Transesophageal echocardiography
- Continuous ECG
- 24-hour arterial pressure monitoring
- Pacemaker monitoring
- Load ECG (ergometry of bicycle and treadmill)
- Orthostatic test
In close collaboration with Prof. D. Schranz, since the moment of the foundation of the Pediatric Cardiology Center of Giessen, which consists of the Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine at the University Hospital Frankfurt and the Pediatric Cardiology Center of Giessen/Marburg, there have been used all interventional catheter diagnostic and treatment methods for the acquired heart defects. Therefore, in November 2009, one of the most advanced Cardiac Catheterization Stations in Germany was put into operation here.
- Study of Medicine at the Universities of Marburg and Lübeck
- 1980 Dr. med. degree
- 1980 Research Associate/Physician at the Institute of Pathology and at the Department of Pediatry, University Tuebingen
- 1992 Habilitation in Pediatrics at the University Tuebingen
- Since 2000, C4 Professor and Head of the Clinic III, Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine of the J.W. Goethe University of Frankfurt
- 1988 Board certification for Pediatrics
- 2006 Sub-specialization "Pediatric Hematology and Oncology”, Hessen State Chamber of Physicians, Frankfurt
- Since 2007, Vice-Dean of the Faculty of Medicine, Goethe University Frankfurt
- 2006 – 2012 Chairman of the Society of Pediatric Oncology and Hematology
Awards and Prizes
- Van Bekkum Award of the European Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation (EBMT)
- 2014 Rober Pfleger Research Prize
- Prize for excellent teaching of the Faculty of Medicine, University of Frankfurt
Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine.
University Hospital Frankfurt am Main:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home