University Hospital Freiburg
Department of General and Abdominal Surgery (459044)
Specialized in: general and abdominal surgery
About the Department of General and Abdominal Surgery at University Hospital Freiburg
The Department of General and Abdominal Surgery at the University Hospital Freiburg offers treatment of all benign and malignant diseases of the internal organs. The department specializes in the treatment of diseases of the esophagus, gastrointestinal tract, liver, pancreas, bile ducts, endocrine glands, etc. Also, the department provides an effective treatment for a large number of patients with complications due to chronic inflammatory bowel diseases. Particular attention is paid to surgical and interdisciplinary treatment of cancers. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Stefan Fichtner-Feigl.
The team of the department offers the very latest surgical methods for malignant tumors of the esophagus and stomach, pancreas, liver, colon and small intestine, as well as hormone producing glands. Treatment is not limited to the removal of the primary tumor and includes the surgical treatment of metastases. The patients with metastases in the liver, peritoneum, as well as multiple metastases are treated in the specialized Center for Metastatic Surgery.
A distinctive feature of the department are comprehensive minimally invasive surgical techniques. Minimally invasive techniques are used not only to treat patients with benign diseases, but more often they also help patients with esophageal, stomach, liver, pancreatic, colon and rectum cancer.
In addition to the treatment of oncological diseases, the department also has special surgical teams specializing in bariatric surgery, surgical treatment of reflux disease, proctology, endocrine surgery, transplant surgery, endoscopy and modern surgical intensive care, which is of great importance for the treatment of patients before and after surgical intervention.
The service range of the department includes the diagnostics and treatment of the following diseases:
- Esophagus and stomach:
- Malignant esophageal tumors
- Malignant stomach tumors
- Gastrointestinal stromal tumors (GIST)
- Neuroendocrine tumors (NEO)
- Benign esophageal and stomach tumors
- Gastric and duodenal tumors
- Liver and gallbladder:
- Liver tumors (benign, malignant and infectious)
- Liver metastases
- Gallstone disease, inflammation and tumors of the biliary tract
- Biliary tract and pancreas:
- Pancreatic cancer
- Acute pancreatitis – acute inflammation of the pancreas
- Endocrine tumors – hormone-active pancreatic tumors
- Adenomas – benign tumors
- Cysts – fluid accumulations
- Cystic tumors
- Colorectal cancer
- Fecal incontinence and chronic inflammatory bowel disease
- Peritoneal diseases
- Minimally invasive surgery:
- Endocrine surgery and thyroid surgery
- Wound treatment
- Hernia plastic surgery
- Metabolic surgery and obesity surgery
- Transplant surgery
- Other services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Stefan Fichtner-Feigl
- 11/1993 - 05/2000 Study of Medicine, Julius Maximilian University of Würzburg.
- 09/2000 - 09/2002 Assistant Physician in the Department of Surgery at the University of Würzburg.
- 10/2000 PhD thesis defense, Julius Maximilian University of Würzburg.
- 10/2002 - 04/2005 Fellow, Section for Mucosal Immunity Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA.
- 05/2005 - 03/2009 Assistant Physician of the Department of Surgery, University of Regensburg.
- 03/2008 - 03/2009 Scholarship of a Doctoral Student at the University of Regensburg.
- 04/2009 - 12/2013 Senior Physician of the Department of Surgery at the University of Regensburg.
- 04/2009 Doctoral thesis defense in Surgery, University of Regensburg.
- 07/2009 Venia Legendi in Surgery at the University of Regensburg.
- 05/2014 - 06/2009 Specialist in General and Abdominal Surgery (professional skill improvement, Bavarian Medical Association).
- Since 05/2011 Professor (W2) in Abdominal Surgery and Chronic Immune Pathology – attached at the University of Regensburg.
- Since 01/2012 Clinical Cooperation Partner of the Regensburg Center for Interventional Immunology.
- 02/2013 - 12/2013 Leading Senior Physician in the Department of Surgery at the University of Regensburg.
- 01/2014 - 09/2016 Deputy Head of the Department of Surgery at the University of Regensburg.
- Since 10/2016 Chief Physician of the Department of General and Abdominal Surgery at the University Hospital Freiburg.
Photo of the doctor: (с) Universitätsklinikum Freiburg
Department of General and Abdominal Surgery.
University Hospital Freiburg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.