University Hospital Freiburg
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology (462170)
Specialized in: gastroenterology, hepatology
About the department
The Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology at the University Hospital Freiburg offers the full range of services in these medical fields. The medical team of the department has at its command the very latest methods of diagnostics and treatment of all diseases of the digestive system, with a special focus on liver diseases. There are also conducted clinical trials in all these fields, which allow developing new treatment methods and saving lives of the patients of the department. Medical care is based on an interdisciplinary approach. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Robert Thimme.
The department offers patients state-of-the-art equipment for precise and efficient diagnostics, for example, it carries out endoscopy, ultrasound and functional diagnostics of the gastrointestinal tract (within the framework of the inhouse laboratory).
All doctors of the department have excellent qualifications and long experience. They have a particular interest in the treatment of acute and chronic intestinal diseases, gastrointestinal tumors, various forms of hepatitis, liver cirrhosis and their complications, for example, portal hypertension and hepatocellular carcinoma.
The service range of the department includes the diagnostics and treatment of the following pathologies:
- Diagnostics and treatment of stomach diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of esophageal diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of intestinal diseases
- Diagnositic and treatment of pancreatic diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of gastrointestinal cancers
- Diagnostics and treatment of viral hepatitis
- Diagnostics and treatment of metabolic, hereditary and autoimmune liver diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of inflammatory processes in the liver (due to alcohol abuse and for other reasons)
- Diagnostics and treatment of cirrhosis and its complications, including preparation for liver transplant and follow-up care
- Liver biopsy
- Diagnostics and therapy of hepatocellular carcinoma
- Diagnostics and treatment of cholangiocellular carcinoma
- Diagnostics and treatment of liver metastases
- Clarification of the nature of unclear liver neoplasms
- Diagnostics and treatment of liver diseases of unknown origin
- Treatment of portal hypertension (transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunting)
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic services
Academic Education and University Degrees
- 2011 Certified Endocrinologist.
- 2006 Doctoral dissertation defense in Internal Medicine.
- 2006 Certified Gastroenterologist.
- 2006 Certificate in Gastroenterologic Oncology of the German Society for Digestive and Metabolic Disorders (DGVS).
- 2005 Certificate in Internal Medicine.
- 1998 - 2001 Postdoctoral Fellowship in the Department of Molecular Medicine, Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA, USA.
- 1993 - 1994 Dissertation defense in the Department of Virology, Albert Ludwig University of Freiburg. Grade: with honors (summa cum laude).
- 1996 3d State Examination, Dissertation in Human Medicine.
- 1991 - 1996 Study of Medicine at the Albert Ludwig University of Freiburg.
- 1989 - 1991 Study of Medicine at the Free University of Berlin.
- 10/2013 Medical Director, Department of Internal Medicine II.
- 2012 - 2013 Assistant Medical Director, Department of Internal Medicine II.
- 2009 - 2013 Head of the newly founded Gerok Liver Centre of Freiburg.
- 2009 Heisenberg W2/W3 Professorship in Hepatology.
- 2007 - 2013 Leading Senior Physician in the Department of Internal Medicine II, University of Freiburg.
- 2005 - 2009 Invitation for Junior Professorship of the Chair of Hepatitis Viral Infection.
- 2001 - 2005 Assistant Physician in the Department of Internal Medicine II at the University Hospital Freiburg.
- 1996 - 1998 Intern and Assistant Physician in the Department of Internal Medicine II at the University Hospital Freiburg.
Projects, Committee Activities
- 2016 Spokesman of the Berta-Ottenstein-Program for Clinician Researchers.
- 2016 Speaker of SFB/TRR 179 Symposium.
- 2015 Coordinator of HEP-CAR Consortium (Horizon 2020 Project)
- 2013 Coordinator of Else-Kröner-Fresenius MD-Kolleg (MOTI-VATE) Project.
- 2011 Professional Board on Medicine of the German Research Foundation (DFG).
- 2009 DAAD Postdoctoral Fellow Evaluation Committee.
- 2009 Spokesman, EU Interreg IV, Hepato-Regio-Net (Freiburg, Basel, Strasbourg).
- 2009 Speaker of the Research Unit of the German Research Foundation (DFG), FOR1202.
- 2009 - 2012 Scientific Secretary of the German Association for the Study of Liver Diseases.
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology.
University Hospital Freiburg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.