University Hospital Freiburg
Department of Endocrinology and Diabetology (464393)
Specialized in: endocrinology, diabetology
About the Department of Endocrinology and Diabetology at University Hospital Freiburg
According to the Focus magazine 2017, the Department of Endocrinology and Diabetology at the University Hospital Freiburg ranked among the top German departments specializing in diabetes mellitus treatment!
The Department offers the full range of services in these medical fields. The main clinical focuses include the diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the endocrine system (thyroid gland, parathyroid glands, adrenal glands, pituitary and pancreas), as well as the diagnostics and treatment of type I and II diabetes mellitus. The outpatient clinic of the department annually treats about 5,000 patients, who receive medical care according to the strictest international standards. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Jochen Seufert, who has an excellent international reputation and long clinical experience. According to the Focus magazine 2017, he was included in the rating of top German physicians!
The most important focus of the department is the treatment of type I and II diabetes mellitus. For the outstanding achievements in this field, the department is recognized as a certified Diabetes Center (German Diabetes Society). The specialists of the department provide numerous consultations on all aspects of this pathology. A unique offer of the department is a special school for diabetes patients. The classes at school are aimed at teaching patients a new way of life with diabetes.
The main activities of the school include:
- Programs for patients with type II diabetes mellitus who do not receive insulin therapy
- Programs for patients with type II diabetes mellitus who receive insulin therapy
- Programs for patients with type II diabetes mellitus who receive intensive insulin therapy
- Programs for patients with arterial hypertension
- Programs for patients with type I diabetes mellitus who receive intensive insulin therapy
- Programs for patients with diabetes mellitus who use insulin pumps
- Individual courses on measuring blood glucose levels
- Individual courses on the use of insulin injections
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of type I and II diabetes mellitus
- Diagnostics and treatment of metabolic bone disorders (for example, osteoporosis)
- Measurement of bone mineral density (osteodensitometry) using CT, ultrasound and innovative DEXA method
- Ultrasound diagnostics and treatment of thyroid diseases, including goiter, Hashimoto thyroiditis, Graves disease and thyroid cancer
- Infusion and injection therapy for endocrine diseases and diabetes mellitus
- Continuous blood sugar measurement
- Self-help groups
- Special school for patients with diabetes mellitus
- Diagnostics and treatment of diabetic foot syndrome
- Diagnostics and treatment of lipid metabolism disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of neuroendocrine tumors
- Counseling on obesity
- Medical care for patients with gestational diabetes
- Other medical services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Jochen Seufert
- 1983 - 1989 Study of Medicine at the Universities of Würzburg (Germany) and Innsbruck (Austria).
- 1990 - 1995 Intern and Fellow in the Department of Endocrinology, Diabetology and Gastroenterology, University of Würzburg, Germany.
- 1995 - 1998 Research Fellowship and Instructor, Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts General Hospital, Joslin Diabetes Center, Boston, USA.
- 1998 - 2006 Fellow in the Department of Endocrinology, Diabetology and Gastroenterology. Habilitation, Consultant and Head of the Department of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Molecular Medicine, University of Würzburg, Germany.
- Since 2006 Full Professor (W3) of Internal Medicine, Head of the Department of Endocrinology and Diabetology, University Hospital Freiburg.
- Molecular and cellular biology of the endocrine pancreas.
- Regenerative strategies for the treatment of diabetes mellitus, stem cell therapy, pancreatic islet transplantation.
- Clinical trials in diabetes mellitus, gestational diabetes, osteoporosis, endocrine disorders.
- Schoeller Junkmann Research Prize of the German Society of Endocrinology.
- Theodor Frerich Prize of the German Society of Internal Medicine.
- Ernst Friedrich Pfeiffer Prize of the German Diabetes Society.
Photo of the doctor: (с) Universitätsklinikum Freiburg
Department of Endocrinology and Diabetology.
University Hospital Freiburg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.