University Hospital Freiburg
Department of Cardiology, Angiology and Internal Intensive Care (467399)
Specialized in: cardiology, angiology, internal intensive care
About the Department of Cardiology, Angiology and Internal Intensive Care at University Hospital Freiburg
The Department of Cardiology, Angiology and Internal Intensive Care at the University Hospital Freiburg offers the full range of services in these medical fields. The medical team of the department has at its command the very latest methods of diagnostics and treatment of all cardiovascular diseases. In addition to general invasive and non-invasive methods of treatment of cardiac pathology, particular importance is attached to catheter techniques for managing patients with acute myocardial infarction and ischemic heart disease. Due to the unique clinical experience of the department’s doctors, patients are guaranteed optimal treatment results, as well as an individual approach to each clinical case. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c Christoph Bode.
The service range of the department includes:
- Cardiac catheterization (for diagnosis and treatment of coronary artery diseases and heart valve disorders, as well as for heart function assessment)
- Invasive blood pressure measurement in the area of vascular stenosis (fractional flow reserve)
- Intravascular ultrasound examinations
- Intravascular optical coherence tomography (for detailed imaging of the vessel lumen through a small catheter)
- Coronary sinus reducer implantation
- Installation of all types of modern stents (including drug-coated stents, totally bioresorbable stents)
- Minimally invasive interventions for structural cardiovascular diseases
- Transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI) for aortic valve diseases
- MitraClip technique in mitral insufficiency
- Minimally invasive mitral valve annuloplasty
- Mitral valvuloplasty
- Valve-in-Valve technique for degradation of previously installed bioprosthetic heart valves
- Treatment of tricuspid regurgitation
- Minimally invasive ventricular septal defect repair
- LAAC technique for the treatment of atrial fibrillation
- Renovascular ablation in high blood pressure
- Treatment of arrhythmias and heart failure
- Implantation of pacemakers in bradycardia
- Installation of implantable defibrillators in life-threatening clinical conditions (tachycardia, atrial fibrillation and ventricular fibrillation)
- Cardiac resynchronization therapy in heart failure
- Modulation of cardiac contractility
- Defi-West in dangerous tachycardias
- Electrophysiological investigations
- Sclerotherapy of the pulmonary veins for the treatment of arrhythmias and atrial fibrillation
- Transthoracic echocardiography
- 3D echocardiography
- Stress echocardiography
- Transesophageal echocardiography
- Internal intensive care
- Use of Impella® and VA-ECMO support systems in acute and chronic heart failure
- Artificial lung ventilation (invasive and non-invasive techniques)
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in severe pulmonary insufficiency
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic options
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h.c. Christoph Bode
- 1974 -1980 Study of Medicine in Cologne.
- 1980 American State Examination (ECFMG) and admission to medical practice.
- 1981 - 1982 Military service, Captain of the Medical Service, Andernach.
- 1981 Doctoral dissertation defense, under the supervision of Prof. Dr. Dr. W. Stoffel, University of Cologne.
- 1982 - 1983 Research Fellowship of the German Research Foundation, Institute of Physiological Chemistry at the University of Cologne (Prof. Dr. Dr. W. Stoffel).
- 1983 Assistant Physician of the Department of Cardiology, Pulmonology and Angiology at the University of Heidelberg (Prof. Dr. W. Kübler).
- 1984 - 1986 Research Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital (Cardiology) and Harvard Medical School, Boston (under the guidance of Prof. Dr. E. Haber).
- 1986 - 1992 Medical Assistant, Department of Cardiology, Angiology and Pulmonology at the University of Heidelberg (Prof. Dr. W. Kübler).
- 1991 Habilitation in Internal Medicine. Subject: "Clinical and experimental studies of special thrombolytic therapy in acute myocardial infarction", under the supervision of Prof. Dr. W. Kübler.
- 1992 Venia legendi (PD).
- 1992 - 1999 Senior Physician, Department of Cardiology, Angiology and Pulmonology at the University of Heidelberg (Prof. Dr. W. Kübler).
- 1998 Visiting Professor, University of Heidelberg.
- Since 1999 Full Professor and Head of the Chair of Cardiology and Angiology at the University of Freiburg.
- 2003 - 2011 Delegate (cardiovascular diseases), German Research Foundation.
- 2007 - 2015 Board Member of the of the Society of Thrombosis and Hemostasis Research.
- 2011 - 2015 President of the Society of Thrombosis and Hemostasis Research.
- 2008 - 2011 Advisor to the health authorities in the working group "Blood".
- 2008 - 2013 Task Force Member of the European Society of Cardiology.
- 2010 - 2012 Founder of the German Chapter of the American College of Cardiology.
- 2011 - 2013 Chairman of the Program Committee and Board Member of the German Society of Cardiology.
- Since 2012 Full Professor and Head of the Chair of Cardiology and Angiology at the University of Freiburg, Head of the Department of Cardiology, Angiology and Internal Intensive Care at the University Hospital Freiburg.
- 2013 - 2015 President of the Assembly of International Governors (AIG), American College of Cardiology.
- 2015 Honorary Doctor of the Maikop State Technical University.
- 2010 - 2016 European Publisher of the journal "Circulation".
- 1986 Boehringer Mannheim Award for "outstanding applied basic research."
- 1989 Heilmeyer Award of the German Society for Innovations in Internal Medicine.
- 1992 Alexander Schmidt Award, Society of Thrombosis and Hemostasis Research.
- 1994 Frerichs Award of the German Society of Internal Medicine.
- 2004 Franz Loogen Award, Society of Cardiology, Essen.
- 2013 Honorary Badge of the German Society of Cardiology.
- 2015 Presidential Award of ACC.
- 2016 Paul Morawitz Prize of the German Society of Cardiology.
Reviewer and/or Editorial Board Member of the Journals
- European Heart Journal (elite reviewer).
- American Heart Journal.
- American Journal of Cardiology.
- Cardiovascular Research.
- Thrombosis & Haemostasis.
- Clinical Research in Cardiology.
- International Journal of Cardiology.
- Basic Research in Cardiology.
- Intensivmedizin up2date.
- Nature Reviews Cardiology.
- Journal of Thrombosis and Thrombolysis.
- Critical Pathways in Cardiology.
Photo of the doctor: (с) Universitätsklinikum Freiburg
Department of Cardiology, Angiology and Internal Intensive Care.
University Hospital Freiburg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.