DIEP flap plastic breast reconstruction with own tissues (program ID: 248769)
University Hospital Halle (Saale)
Christoph TomssenSpecialized in: gynecology, mammology
Department of Gynecology and Mammology
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- physical examination
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- biochemical analysis of blood
- tumor markers
- inflammation indicators
- indicators blood coagulation
- MRI of the breast
- breast mammography
- breast sonography
- biopsy with histological analysis
- consultation of related specialists
- preoperative care
- diep-flap plastic breast reconstruction with own tissues
- symptomatic treatment
- control examinations
- the cost of essential medicines and materials
- nursing services
- full hospital accommodation
- explanation of future recommendations
- Medical records
- MRI/CT scan (not older than 3 months)
- Biopsy results (if available)
You may also book
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Gynecology and Mammology at the University Hospital Halle (Saale) ranks among the top German departments specializing in breast cancer treatment!
The department offers the full range of accurate diagnostics, conservative and surgical treatment of diseases of the female reproductive system, breast. The department’s state-of-art infrastructure, advanced diagnostic equipment and the highest professionalism of doctors allow for the achievement of excellent treatment results. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Christoph Thomssen.
The department has several certified specialized centers, in particular the Breast Center, the Center for Gynecologic Oncology and the Center for Pelvic Diseases. The Breast Center specializes in the treatment of benign and malignant breast diseases. In the patient needs radical breast resection, she will be offered modern reconstructive techniques to restore the aesthetic appearance of the breast. The Center for Gynecologic Oncology has exceptional experience in the treatment of uterine, cervical, vulvar, ovarian cancers, etc.
The service range of the department includes:
- General gynecology
- Counseling and therapy in malformations of the external and internal female reproductive organs
- Chronic infections of the vagina, uterus or ovaries
- Benign tumors of the lower abdomen (for example, fibroids, cysts)
- Chronic pain in the lower abdomen (endometriosis), up to surgical treatment
- Treatment of secondary pathological changes (in the context of cancer treatment)
- Planning of outpatient operations
- Ultrasound diagnostics for cancer prevention
- Surgical treatment of various types of urinary incontinence
- Surgical treatment of pelvic organ prolapse
- Benign breast disease
- Palpable and nonpalpable nodes in the mammary gland
- Correction of breast malformations (asymmetry, breast augmentation and reduction)
- Cosmetic surgery
- Malignant breast diseases
- Diagnostic imaging (in collaboration with the Department of Radiology)
- Punch biopsy
- Histological examination (in collaboration with the Institute of Pathology)
- Surgical treatment (organ-sparing surgery, radical and reconstructive surgery, lymphadenectomy)
- Radiation therapy (in collaboration with the Department of Radiotherapy)
- Follow-up monitoring of breast cancer patients
- Oncogenetic counseling (in collaboration with the Institute of Genetics)
- Benign breast disease
- Gynecological oncology
- Uterine cancer
- Cervical cancer
- Vulvar cancer
- Ovarian cancer
- Histological examination
- Imaging diagnostics
- Radiation therapy
- Surgical treatment
- Second opinion
- Outpatient surgery
- Diagnostic hysteroscopy
- Sclerotherapy in hemorrhages or miscarriage (curettage)
- Tissue sampling of external and internal genitals (biopsy)
- Conization/laser therapy in cervical pathologies
- Laparoscopic tubal ligation
- Mammary gland and lymph node tissue (axillary, supraclavicular, inguinal) sampling
- Removal of palpable nodes in the mammary gland (for example, fibroadenoma enucleation)
- Treatment of abscesses ( in the breast, genital organs)
- Implantation of Port-a-Cath system (provision of permanent central venous access for intravenous administration of drugs, such as chemotherapy, antibodies, bisphosphonates)
- Other diseases, diagnostic and therapeutic options
- 1976 - 1978 Medical School at the University of Göttingen (preclinical part).
- 1978 - 1983 Medical School at the Technical University of Munich (clinical part).
- 1982 - 1983 Medical internship.
- 1983 Doctoral degree (Doctor of Medicine).
- 1989 Dr. med. thesis (Supervisor: Prof. Dr. med. H. J. Möller), Department of Psychiatry, Technical University of Munich.
- 1998 Lecturer’s thesis (PD) at the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Hamburg.
- 2001 University Professor for Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of Hamburg.
- 2004 University Professor for Obstetrics and Gynecology at the Martin Luther University of Halle-Wittenberg (Ordinarius).
- 1984 - 1986 Residency in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the District Hospital Fürstenfeldbruck (Head: Dr. med. Sixtus Keck).
- 1986 - 1996 Residency and Fellowship in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology of the Technical University of Munich (Head: Prof. Dr. med. Henner Graeff).
- 1991 Board certification in Obstetrics and Gynecology (German National Board Examination).
- 1992 Senior Physician at the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology of the Technical University of Munich.
- 1996 Senior Physician and Deputy Head of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Hamburg (Head: Prof. Dr. med. Fritz Jänicke).
- 2003 Acting Head of the Department of Gynecology and Mammology at the University Hospital Halle (Saale).
- 2004 Head of the Department of Gynecology and Mammology at the University Hospital Halle (Saale).
Subjects of Research
- Clinical Oncology
- Breast cancer (treatment of primary diseases and recurrence): adjuvant and palliative therapy, prognostic and predictive factors, endocrine therapy, chemotherapy, including dose-intense chemotherapy, axillary dissection, quality of life.
- Ovarian Cancer: secondary surgery.
- Cervical Cancer: neoadjuvant chemotherapy, surgery.
- Clinical trials: participation in the development of design and coordination of 12 clinical trials; participation in more than 35 trials.
- Obstetrics: prenatal diagnostics, Doppler sonography.
Membership in Professional Societies
- American Association of Cancer Research (AACR).
- German Cancer Society (DKG).
- German Society of Gynecology and Obstetrics (DGGG).
- Working Group on Gynecological Oncology (AGO).
- EORTC Biomarker and Receptor Study Group (RBSG).
- EORTC Breast Cancer Cooperative Group (BCCG).
- Cancer Center Munich (Project Teams: "Endometrial cancer/cervical cancer", "Breast cancer", "Ovarian cancer").
- Cancer Center Hamburg (AKOG).
- North Eastern German Society of Gynecologic Oncology (NOGGO).
- Scientific and Practical Society of Gynecologists and Obstetricians Saxony-Anhalt.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Halle (Saale)