University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Infectology (229497)
Specialized in: gastroenterology, hepatology, infectology
About the Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Infectology at University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf
The Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Infectology at the University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf offers the full range of medical services in these fields and specializes in the diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the digestive system (esophagus, stomach, intestines and pancreas, liver), acute and chronic infectious diseases, tropical infections and oncopathologies of the internal organs. To ensure the comprehensive and most effective treatment, there is maintained close cooperation with the Departments of Endoscopy, Hepatobiliary and Transplant Surgery, General Surgery and Radiology. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Ansgar Lohse.
The department operates the largest outpatient clinic for hepatitis and the only in Germany special outpatient clinic for autoimmune diseases of the liver. In addition, the department has won the status of one of the national medical centers specializing in the treatment of patients with life-threatening and highly contagious infections. The experts of the department widely use in their clinical practice their own developments in the field of mini-laparoscopy and intrahepatic portosystemic shunting. The medical facility is also the first center in Northern Germany, which offers a non-invasive liver elasticity measurement (FibroScan).
The doctors of the department are actively engaged in research activities aimed at studying the occurrence and course of various liver diseases and digestion. Thus, they have the opportunity to better examine each pathology and develop the most effective treatments. The research activities are mainly focused on the study of viral hepatitis, autoimmune liver diseases, liver and pancreatic tumors. Jointly with the Bernhard Nocht Institute of Tropical Medicine, the department conducts productive research on the study of infectious diseases, such as malaria and viral infections.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of liver diseases
- Autoimmune hepatitis
- Primary sclerosing cholangitis
- Primary biliary cholangitis
- Hepatitis A and E
- Hepatitis C
- Hepatitis B
- Non-alcoholic steatohepatitis
- Alcoholic steatohepatitis
- Acute kidney failure
- Decompensated cirrhosis (including intrahepatic portosystemic shunting)
- Portal hypertension
- Liver transplantation
- Diagnostics and treatment of cancers
- Hepatocellular carcinoma
- Neuroendocrine tumors
- Diagnostics and treatment of chronic inflammatory bowel diseases
- Crohn's disease
- Ulcerative colitis
- Diagnostics and treatment of pancreatic diseases
- Acute pancreatitis
- Chronic pancreatitis
- Diagnostics and treatment of infectious diseases, including tropical infections
- Familial Mediterranean fever
- Ultrasound diagnostics
- Ultrasound examination of abdominal organs, liver ultrasound with contrast enhancement
- Colon ultrasound using high-resolution sensors (15 MHz)
- Thrombosis diagnostics
- Thyroid ultrasound
- Lymph node ultrasound
- Ultrasound-guided puncture biopsy and drainage
- Other medical services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Ansgar Lohse
- 10.1978 - 08.1981 Study of Medicine and Philosophy at the University of Göttingen.
- 09.1981 - 12.1982 Scholarship of the German Academic Exchange Service, Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine, London.
- 01.1983 - 08.1983 Continued to study Medicine at the University of Göttingen.
- 1983 1st part of one-year practice at the Hospital of the College London (Pediatrics).
- 1984 2nd part of one-year practice at the Harvard Medical School, Boston (Internal Medicine).
- 1984 3rd part of one-year practice at the hospital in Bremen (Surgery).
- 10.1984 Medical examination.
- 11.1984 Admission to medical practice.
- 02.1987 Doctoral thesis defense. Subject: "Vasoactive intestinal peptide in colon biopsy in case of Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis".
Clinical Training and Professional Career
- 1985 - 1986 Center for Internal Medicine, Phillips University of Marburg.
- 1986 - 1987 Research Fellow, Department of Internal Medicine I, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz.
- 1987 - 1989 Research internship in the laboratory of Prof. Dr. med. I.R. Cohen, Department of Cell Biology, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel.
- 1989 - 1994 Research Fellow, Department of Internal Medicine I, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz.
- 1993 Board certification in Internal Medicine.
- 1994 Habilitation in Internal Medicine.
- 1994 - 2000 Senior Physician, Department of Internal Medicine I, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz.
- 1996 - 2004 University Lecturer (C2).
- 1998 Theoretical basics of specialty, laboratory research in the field of internal medicine.
- 2000 Extraordinary Professor.
- 2001 Optional advanced training in Special Internal Intensive Care.
- 2001 - 2004 Leading Senior Physician, Department of Internal Medicine I, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz.
- Since 01.2005 Head of the Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Infectology at the University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf.
- 2006 Additional qualification in Infectology.
- Since 2007 Medical Director of the Center for Internal Medicine at the University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf.
Scholarships, Awards and Honors
- 1976 - 1978 Fellow of the United World College of the Atlantic, Student Foundation of the German People.
- 1980 - 1984 Scholarship, Evangelischen Studienwerkes Villigst.
- 09.1981 - 12.1982 Scholarship of the German Academic Exchange Service, University of London.
- 1984 Scholarship for training abroad, Carl Duisberg Foundation, Harvard Medical School.
- 04.1987 - 03.1989 Educational scholarship of the German Research Foundation.
- 09.1989 Herbert Herxheimer International Scientific Prize of the European Academy of Allergology and Clinical Immunology.
- 10.1994 Young Clinicians Award, World Gastroenterology Congress, Los Angeles.
- 05.1995 Boehringer Ingelheim Prize.
- 09.1997 K.A. Ewald Prize of the German Society for Digestive and Metabolic Diseases.
- 09.1998 1st Poster Award and Presidential Poster Award of the 53rd Annual Meeting of the German Society for Digestive and Metabolic Diseases.
- 12.2000 Innovation Award for the Federal State of Rhineland-Palatinate.
- 05.2002 Visiting Professor, Yuan Clinic, Beijing Medical School, China.
- 2008 Member of the Hamburg Academy of Sciences.
Membership in Scientific Societies
- North German Society of Gastroenterology.
- German Society of Internal Medicine.
- German Society of Immunology.
- German Working Group on the Study of the Liver.
- German Society for Digestive and Metabolic Diseases.
- German Cancer Society.
- European Association for the Study of the Liver.
- European Society for Organ Transplantation.
- European Liver and Intestine Transplant Association.
- American Association for the Study of the Liver.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Hamburg-Eppendorf (UKE)
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Infectology.
University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.