University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery (229505)
Specialized in: otolaryngology, head and neck surgery
About the department
The Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery at the University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf offers the full range of medical services for patients with diseases of the ear, nose and throat at the highest university level. Specialization also covers surgical procedures of varying complexity in the head and neck. The department has 38 beds for inpatient treatment, an advanced Section for Cochlear Implantation, Section for Functional Diagnostics and state-of-the-art operating rooms. The department annually treats about 9,000 outpatients, as well as provides medical care to more than 4,000 patients. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Christian Betz.
One of the department’s priorities is middle and inner ear surgery. The surgeons of the department annually perform more than 700 operations in this area, including cochlear implantation. In addition, there is vast experience in nasal and paranasal surgery, operations in the anterior part of the skull base (about 800 operations per year). The therapeutic options are complemented by plastic aesthetic surgery (for example, nose reshaping).
Another focus is head and neck surgery, especially in the case of cancers. The competence covers the surgical treatment of salivary gland and skull base tumors, scalp and neck tumors, as well as orbital and thyroid tumors, including reconstructive techniques. In this field, the surgeons of the department perform more than 1,000 inpatient and outpatient interventions every year. Thanks to the outstanding success in the treatment of otolaryngological oncopathologies, the department is certified by the German Cancer Society.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of hearing impairment (otology)
- Middle ear surgery (for example, in eustachian tube ventilation dysfunction, malformations of the middle ear)
- Inner ear surgery (installation of implantable hearing aids, cochlear implantation, including rehabilitation and follow-up care)
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the nose and paranasal sinuses (rhinology)
- Paranasal sinus surgery (mostly endoscopic procedures)
- Functional and plastic nasal surgery
- Allergies and acetylsalicylic acid intolerance
- Diagnostics and treatment of head and neck tumors (in close collaboration with the University Cancer Center Hamburg)
- Surgical treatment in combination with conservative methods (chemotherapy, drug therapy, radiation therapy, etc.)
- Patient follow-up care
- Diagnostics and treatment of sleep-related breathing disorders and obstructive sleep apnea
- Hypoglossal nerve stimulation
- Diagnostic and treatment of diseases of the salivary glands (impaired secretion outflow, salivary gland tumors)
- Endoscopic interventions
- Navigation surgery
- Plastic surgery
- Nose reshaping
- Correction of the shape and location of the ears
- Diagnostics and treatment of laryngeal and tracheal stenosis
- Robot-assisted surgery
- Removal of malignant pharyngeal and oral tumors
- Other medical services
- 10.1993 - 06.2000 Study of Human Medicine at Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 08.2000 Partial admission to medical practice.
- 02.2002 Admission to medical practice.
- 01.2006 Board certification in Otolaryngology.
- 04.2012 Additional qualification in Plastic Surgery.
- 10.2013 Optional advanced training in Special Otolaryngological Surgery.
- 10.2015 Additional qualification in Allergology.
- 08.2000 - 01.2002 Internship, Department of Otolaryngology, Hospital at the University of Munich.
- 02.2002 - 05.2006 Research Fellow, Department of Otolaryngology, Hospital at the University of Munich.
- 06.2006 - 05.2007 Research and Clinical Fellow, Department of Maxillofacial Surgery, Hospital at the University College London, London, UK.
- 07.2007 - 09.2009 Research Fellow, Department of Otolaryngology, Hospital at the University of Munich.
- 10.2009 - 06.2010 Senior Physician of the Department of Otolaryngology, Hospital at the University of Munich.
- 07.2010 - 06.2011 Head and Neck Surgery, Department of Otolaryngology, Princess Alexandra Hospital, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia.
- 07.2011 - 11.2013 Senior Physician of the Department of Otolaryngology, Hospital at the University of Munich.
- 12.2013 - 09.2017 Leading Senior Doctor of the Department of Otolaryngology, Hospital at the University of Munich.
- 10.2017 - 06.2018 Deputy Head of the Department of Otolaryngology at the University Hospital Tuebingen.
- Since 07.2018 Head of the Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery at the University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf.
- 12.2000 Doctoral thesis (Summa cum laude), Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich. Subject: "Combined fluorescent diagnostics (5-ALA-induced PpIX and autofluorescence) for diagnosing and determining the boundaries of oral carcinomas: fluorescence imaging, spectral analysis and kinetics ".
- 03.2010 Habilitation, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich. Subject: "The use of optical methods for the early diagnostics of tumors of the upper respiratory tract".
- Since 10.1996 Researcher in various projects.
- Since 12.1996 Active participation in numerous congresses, meetings and seminars.
- Since 10.1997 Numerous scientific publications.
- Since 08.2003 Work as a supervisor of medical students.
- Since 08.2006 Chief Researcher in the research projects.
- Since 03.2009 Organization of congresses and scientific seminars.
- Since 04.2015. Junior Editor of Lasers in Surgery and Medicine.
- Since 06.2016 Editor of the Laryngology and Tracheal Diseases column, HNO Journal.
- 06.2016 Extraordinary Professor of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 07.2018 University Professor, University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf.
Scholarships and Awards
- 04.1999 - 09.1999 Scholarship of the Federal State of Bavaria at Harvard Medical School (within the framework of the Munich and Harvard Medical Education Alliance).
- 05.1999 Video Award for the video work of the German Society of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery. The theme of the video: "Diagnostics of oral tumors using 5-ALA-induced PpIX fluorescence".
- 03.2009 Award for the Best Report in the field of Optical Diagnostics of Head and Neck Pathologies.
- 11.2012 Scholarship for training abroad of the German Society of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery (participation in the course on skull base surgery), University of Pittsburgh.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Since 2000 German Society of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery.
- Since 2001 Harvard Club Germany, Alumni Association of Harvard University in Germany (2001-2018 Section in Munich, 2018 Section in Hamburg).
- Since 2002 German Academy of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery.
- Since 2003 German Society for Laser Medicine (DGLM).
- Since 2007 Photonics21 (European Technology Platform).
- Since 2008 European Platform for Photodynamic Medicine (EPPM).
- Since 2008 Head and Neck Optical Diagnostics Society (HNODS).
- Since 2013 Society of Skull Base Surgery and European Society of Skull Base Surgery.
- Since 2015 European Laryngological Society.
- Since 2015 Working Group on Laryngology and Tracheal Diseases of the German Society of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery (Board Member).
- Since 2018 Working Group on Endoscopy of the German Society of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery (Board Member).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Hamburg-Eppendorf (UKE)
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery.
University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.