University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf
Department of General and Interventional Cardiology (289946)
Specialized in: general and interventional cardiology
About the department
The Department of General and Interventional Cardiology at the University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf offers the comprehensive diagnostics and modern therapeutic measures for the treatment of the entire range of heart diseases. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Stefan Blankenberg.
Of particular interest is the treatment of coronary artery disease, valvular pathologies and heart failure. The department's doctors have in their arsenal many modern catheter techniques, which allow to provide the most sparing, but at the same time effective treatment. In addition, the scope of competence covers special consultations and treatment of patients with congenital cardiovascular diseases, heart failure, as well as the prevention of cardiac pathologies. In addition to the planned treatment of complex heart diseases, the department's specialists provide emergency medical care (Chest Pain Unit).
The department annually treats more than 6,000, which is an indisputable confirmation of high-class medical care. The department's clinical practice is based on an interdisciplinary approach. Also, great importance is attached to the individual approach to each patient and his wishes.
The service range of the department includes:
- Cardiac catheterization procedures (4 ultramodern Cardiac Catheterization Laboratories)
- Coronary angiography for imaging vessels in the right and left heart
- Intravascular ultrasound diagnostics
- Fractional flow reserve measurement
- Stent implantation in complex types of сoronary artery stenosis, coronary artery disease and chronic coronary occlusion
- Extracorporeal life support systems (ECMO, Impella)
- Diagnostics and treatment of structural heart diseases
- Aortic valve diseases
- Open aortic valve replacement
- Drug therapy
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacement
- Mitral valve diseases
- Interventional catheter therapy
- MitraClip®, Cardioband®, biological mitral valve prostheses
- Tricuspid valve diseases
- Interventional therapy (Cardioband™ TR, TriCinch™)
- Pulmonary valve diseases
- Interventional pulmonary valve replacement
- Secondary lesions of the heart valves after previous diseases
- Catheter valve implantation (Valve-in-Valve or Valve-in-Ring)
- Closure of paravalvular leaks after the surgical valve replacement
- Atrial septal diseases
- Atrial septal defect
- Open oval window
- Aortic valve diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of heart failure
- Heart transplantation
- Implantation of circulatory systems/artificial heart (ventricular assist device)
- Diagnostic imaging of the heart
- Transthoracic echocardiogram
- Transesophageal echocardiography
- Stress echocardiography
- Cardiac MRI
- Cardiac CT
- Emergency medical care within the Chest Pain Unit
- Diagnostics and treatment of genetically determined diseases of the cardiovascular system
- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
- Fabry disease
- Marfan syndrome
- Bicuspid aortic valve
- Loeys-Dietz syndrome
- Familial intracranial aneurysm syndrome and thoracic aortic dissection
- Other medical services
- 1989 - 1996 Study of Medicine at the Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt and Mount Sinai Medical School, New York.
- 1996 State Examination, Doctoral Degree.
- 1996 - 2002 Resident and Fellow, Department of Internal Medicine II, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz.
- 2002 - 2003 INSERM Scholarship for postdoctoral training in Molecular Genetics and Genetic Epidemiology at INSERM U525, Faculté de Médecine Pitié-Salpétrière Paris, France.
- 2003 - 2005 Resident and Fellow, Department of Internal Medicine II, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz.
- 2004 Habilitation at the Department of Internal Medicine II, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz.
- 2005 - 2011 Senior Physician at the Department of Internal Medicine II, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz.
- 2005 - 2011 Full Professor of Medicine and Faculty Member of the Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz.
- 2007 - 2011 Leading Senior Physician and Deputy Head of the Department of Internal Medicine II, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz.
- 2008 - 2011 Speaker of the Interdisciplinary Task Force on Vascular Prevention of the Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz.
- Since 2011 Head of the Department of General and Interventional Cardiology, University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf.
Awards and Scholarships
- Since 1990 Member of the German Academic Scholarship Foundation (Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes).
- 2001 Young Investigator Award in Thrombosis of the European Society of Cardiology.
- 2001 Young Research Award of the German Heart Foundation.
- 2001 Young Investigator Award of the International Society of Thrombosis and Hemostasis.
- 2002 Robert Mueller Award of the Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz.
- 2002 Young Investigator Award in Clinical Science of the European Society of Cardiology (2nd winner).
- 2002 Research Award of the German Heart Foundation.
- 2004 Scientific Award of the German Society of Prevention of Cardiovascular Diseases.
- 2007 Albert Fraenkel Award of the German Cardiac Society.
Membership in Scientific Working Groups, Committees and Societies
- German Cardiac Society.
- German Society for Internal Medicine.
- Steering Committee Member "Functional Genomics" of the American Heart Association.
- Steering Committee Member of the MORGAM (MONICA, Risk, Genetics, Archiving and Monograph) Study.
- Steering Committee Member of the "Long-Term Intervention with Pravastatin" Study.
- Principal Investigator and Steering Committee Member of the Gutenberg HealthStudy.
Department of General and Interventional Cardiology.
University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home