Microsurgical removal of spinal cord lipoma (program ID: 397202)
University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf
Manfred WestphalSpecialized in: adult and pediatric neurosurgery
Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- review of medical records
- physical examination
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- general urine analysis
- biochemical analysis of blood
- inflammation indicators (CRP, ESR)
- indicators blood coagulation
- neurological examination
- functionality x-ray
- CT/MRI scan
- neuropsychological tests (on indications):
- ENMG (electroneuromyography)
- SEPs (somatosensory evoked potentials)
- postoperative control
- tumor resection under neuronavigation
- histologically and immunohistochemically
examination of the remote tissues
- postoperative control
- symptomatic treatment
- control examinations
- the cost of essential medicines and materials
- nursing services
- full hospital accommodation
- developing of further guidance by specialists
in oncology and radiotherapy
- Medical records
- MRI/CT scan (if available)
You may also book
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery at the University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf offers the diagnostics and comprehensive treatment of neurosurgical pathologies, including tumors of the central and peripheral nervous system. The department is the leading Center of Neurosurgery in Northern Germany and is responsible for the implementation of new algorithms for the treatment of patients with brain tumors. To this end, there is an active participation in the international researches and the development of new surgical methods, for example, operations in the waking state. Close interdisciplinary cooperation also contributes to the achievement of optimal treatment results. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Manfred Westphal.
The department has advanced experience in the treatment of injuries, pathologies and cancers of the brain and cranial bones, spinal cord and spinal column, degenerative diseases of the spinal discs and spinal stenosis, as well as diseases of the peripheral nervous system. The Department of Neuroradiology has been cooperating with the Center of Competence for Cerebrovascular Diseases for a long time. It is the only center of this kind in Northern Germany and it treats patients from all over Germany and other countries.
Special attention is paid to pediatric neurosurgery. In cooperation with the Department of Pediatrics, there is provided the treatment of the entire range of neurosurgical diseases in childhood. In particular, the department specializes in brain and skull base tumors, congenital malformations of the skull, hydrocephalus (cerebrospinal fluid circulation disorders), cerebrovascular diseases, as well as other neuropediatric pathologies.
In addition, the department uses deep brain stimulation to treat motor disorders, such as Parkinson's disease. In this field, the department is one of the most experienced in Germany. In collaboration with the Evangelical Foundation Alsterdorf, the department offers the very latest surgical treatments for epilepsy.
The therapeutic service spectrum is complemented with the microsurgical and minimally invasive treatments for spinal diseases with a focus on cervical and lumbosacral disc herniation, spinal canal narrowing (stenosis), as well as spinal cord tumors, especially the intradural ones.
The department’s medical services include:
- Surgery to treat chronic pain syndromes
- Trigeminal neuralgia
- Impingement syndromes
- Surgery to treat movement disorders
- Parkinson's disease
- Surgery to treat degenerative and traumatic lesions of the cervical, thoracic and lumbosacral spine
- Cerebral aneurysms
- Arteriovenous malformations
- Vascular spinal cord neoplasms
- Surgery for benign and malignant brain tumors
- Brain tumors
- Brain metastases
- Skull base tumors
- Tumors of the ventricular system, pineal gland and pituitary gland
- Surgery to treat tumors located near the vital centers of the brain (perofrmed in wakefulness)
- Adjuvant treatment of advanced brain tumors
- Spinal tumor surgery
- Surgery for brain and spinal cord malformations
- Pediatric hydrocephalus
- Treatment of myelomeningocele and spinal cord compression
- Treatment of brain tumors in children (neurosurgery)
- Peripheral nerve surgery
- Surgical correction of cranial malformations, such as complete cleft lip, jaw and palate
- Surgical and emergency treatment of traumatic brain injuries
- Stereotactic biopsy of brain tumours in unclear diagnostic cases
- Electrical stimulation of sensory and motor centers in pain syndromes and motor disorders (functional neurosurgery)
- Spinal surgery
- Surgical treatment of epilepsy
- Diagnostics and treatment of other neurosurgical pathologies
- Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery at the University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf.
Education and Professional Background
- 1975 - 1981 Medical School, University of Hamburg, Germany, including a one-year training at the University of Glasgow Medical School, UK (academic year 1978- 1979).
- 26.10.1981 Admission to medical practice.
- 1982 - 1984 Postdoctoral Fellow, UCSF Medical Center in San Francisco (USA) in the Hormone Research Laboratory, Director: Dr. med. C.H. Li.
- 1984 - 1986 Establishment of the Laboratory for Brain Tumor Biology within the Department of Neurosurgery at the University of Hamburg (Germany) Medical School (from 1980 to 1999, Director: Prof. Hans Dietrich Herrmann).
- Since 1986 Resident in the Neurosurgical Training Program in the above mentioned department.
- April 1992 Certified Neurosurgeon by the the Hamburg Health Authorities.
- July 1993 Lecturer for Neurosurgery (Habilitation), Associate Professor.
- 1995 - 2003 Chairman of the Committee for Neuro-Oncology of the EANS.
- Since 2003 Member of the Committee for Neuro-Oncology of the EANS.
- February 1999 Full Professor.
- April 1999 Acting Chairman, Department of Neurosurgery at the University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf.
- June 2002 Chairman, Department of Neurosurgery at the University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf.
- 2003 - 2007 Elected as a Secretary of the EANS.
- Since 2003 Board Member of the European Brain Council (Brussels).
- November 2003 Member of the Neuroscience Study Section of the DFG.
- Since October 2005 Member of the Scientific Council of the National Health Advisory Committee of the German Ministry of Research and Technology.
- February 2008 Re-election to the DFG Neuroscience Study Section.
- September 2008 Secretary General of the European Brain Council (Brussels).
Membership in Professional Societies
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS).
- American Endocrine Society.
- 2005 Programme Committee, Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS).
- German Society for Endocrinology (DGE).
- German Society for Neurosurgery (DGNC).
- German Academy for Neurosurgery (DANC).
- German Cancer Society (DKG).
- 2006 Programme Committee, European Association for Neuro-Oncology (EANO).
- European Association of Neurosurgical Societies (EANS).
- European Brain Council (EBC).
- European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO).
- Hamburg Cancer Society.
- International Society for Neuropathology.
- Neuroscience Society.
- Society for Neuro-Oncology (SNO).
- World Federation of Neuro-Oncological Societies (WFNO).
- World Federation of Neurosurgical Societies (WFNS).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Hamburg-Eppendorf (UKE)
Accommodation in hospital
- Program [Description]
Microsurgical removal of spinal cord lipoma
- Hospital: University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf
- access_time Duration:
There are 89 spinal cord lipoma treatment hospitals on Booking Health websiteShow all clinics