University Hospital Heidelberg
Department of Cardiac Surgery (26066)
Specialized in: cardiac surgery
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Cardiac Surgery at the University Hospital Heidelberg ranks among the top German departments specializing in cardiac surgery!
The department offers the full range of surgical interventions for the treatment of cardiac pathologies. The main priorities of the department include aortic surgery, heart transplantation, minimally invasive bypass grafting and heart valve surgery. It performs more than 2,500 surgical interventions every year. In especially complex clinical cases, all necessary specialists from the related fields are involved. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Matthias Karck.
The operating range of the department varies from minimally invasive bypass grafting and heart valve surgery to vascular prosthetics and a miniature artificial heart transplantation. During the operations, doctors use the cutting-edge computer equipment, accurate monitoring systems and advanced surgical techniques, which contribute to optimal treatment results and the most rapid recovery of the patients. If necessary,a heart-lung machine may be used. Since the end of 2009, the department's doctors have at their disposal the state-of-art hybrid operating room, where the simultaneous angiography and surgery are possible in optimal hygienic conditions. Previously, these two procedures were carried out separately.
The therapeutic options of the department include:
- Coronary artery bypass grafting
- Traditional coronary artery bypass grafting with the use of the heart-lung machine
- Off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting
- Minimally invasive direct coronary artery bypass grafting
- Total arterial myocardial revascularization
- Hybrid coronary artery bypass grafting (combination of bypass grafting with catheter interventions)
- Heart valve surgery
- Mitral and aortic valve replacement with the use of biological and mechanical prostheses
- Minimally invasive aortic valve replacement
- Aortic valve replacement with a homograft in endocarditis
- Minimally invasive mitral valve replacement or reconstruction
- David procedure for aortic valve reconstruction
- Ross procedure with the replacement of the affected aortic valve using a similar in function valve of the pulmonary artery
- Tricuspid valve replacement or reconstruction
- Surgery of the large thoracic vessels
- Ascending aorta prosthetics according to David procedure
- Complete and partial descending aorta prosthetics
- Vascular prosthesis replacement after aneurysm surgery
- Partial and total aortic arch prosthetics
- Supracoronary prosthetics of the ascending and descending aorta, as well as its arches, using the hybrid prostheses
- Surgical treatment of heart arrhythmias
- Pacemaker implantation
- Defibrillator implantation
- Implantation of biventricular systems
- Implantation of innovative devices for heart failure treatment
- Surgical treatment of heart failure
- Heart transplantation
- Traditional heart interventions in patients with chronic heart failure
- Implantation of an artificial heart (for example, mechanical circulatory support systems)
- Other medical services
- 1980 - 1986 Study of Medicine at the Christian Albrechts University Kiel.
- November 1986 Medical Licensure, Ministry of Social Affairs, Schleswig-Holstein.
- December 1986 Doctorate at the Christian Albrechts University Kiel.
- January 1987 - March 1993 Surgical Residency in the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery at the Hannover Medical School (Head: Prof. Dr. H.G. Borst).
- 1988 Research Fellow at the same department.
- November 1989 - November 1990 Postdoctoral Fellowship at the Hadassah University Hospital, Jerusalem, Israel (Prof. J. Borman, Prof. G. Uretzky, Prof. G. Navon).
- April 1993 Surgical Residency in the Department of Cardiac Surgery, University Hospital Kiel (Head: Prof. Dr. A. Haverich).
- October 1995 Staff Surgeon (Senior Physician) in the same department.
- 1987 - 1996 Surgical training for the board certification in Surgery at the Hannover Medical School with rotations in the Departments of Abdominal Surgery (Head: Prof. Dr. R. Pichlmayr), Cardiothoracic Surgery (Head: Prof. Dr. H.G. Borst), Intensive Care Medicine (Head: Prof. Dr. H.G. Borst).
- 1987 - 1996 Surgical training for the board certification at the University Hospital Kiel, Germany, with rotations in the Departments of Trauma Surgery (Head: Prof. Dr. D. Havemann), General and Thoracic Surgery (Head: Prof. Dr. B. Kremer).
- July 1996 Board certification in Surgery, Hannover, Land of Lower Saxony, Germany.
- July 1996 Senior Staff Member in the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery at the Hannover Medical School (Head: Prof. Dr. A. Haverich).
- October 1997 Venia Legendi (Habilitation) in Surgery at the Hannover Medical School (Thesis: "Myocardial protection in hypertrophied rat hearts").
- January 1998 Habilitation Lecture at the Hannover Medical school (Title: "Changing concepts in the treatment of Marfan syndrome").
- February 1997 Board certification in Vascular Surgery, Land of Lower Saxony, Germany.
- May 1998 Board certification, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Land of Lower Saxony.
- July 2001 Deputy Chairmen of the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Hannover Medical School.
- June 2002 Professor of Surgery, Hannover Medical School.
- October 2006 and Present Professor and Head of the Department of Cardiac Surgery, University Hospital Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany.
- Complete arterial coronary revascularization.
- Minimally invasive
- reconstructive heart valve surgery.
- Aortic surgery.
- Heart transplantation.
Department of Cardiac Surgery.
University Hospital Heidelberg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.