University Hospital Heidelberg
Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery (26073)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric neurosurgery
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery at the University Hospital Heidelberg offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the central and peripheral nervous system. The medical institution occupies a leading position in this sector in Europe. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Andreas Unterberg.
The neurosurgeons of the department have at their disposal four high-tech operating rooms, in which more than 3,500 interventions are performed annually. Active clinical and experimental research activities, as well as close cooperation with national and international reputable research centers, promote the introduction of innovative treatment techniques that are available only in a few clinics in the world.
The exceptional technical equipment of the department, as well as well-coordinated interaction of a multidisciplinary team of doctors are a necessary prerequisite for performing the most safe and effective surgical interventions. The specialists of the department have a wealth of knowledge and experience in performing brain and spinal cord surgeries, deep brain stimulation and other stereotactic operations, as well as in providing intensive neurosurgical care, treating neurosurgical diseases in children of all age groups. When performing surgical treatment, the doctors use neuronavigation systems, neuromonitoring, intraoperative imaging to ensure the best possible accuracy and the absence of postoperative complications.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnosis and treatment of diseases, injuries of the brain and spinal cord
- Brain tumors
- Pituitary adenoma
- Acoustic neuroma
- Brain metastases from the tumors of other localization
- Skull base tumors
- Spinal tumors
- Metastasis of lung or breast cancer
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal malformations (for example, spina bifida)
- Brain tumors
- Functional neurosurgery
- Parkinson's disease
- Essential tremor
- Diagnostics and treatment of spinal diseases
- Herniated discs
- Spinal stenosis
- Vertebral displacement
- Diagnostics and treatment of cerebral aneurysms, vascular malformations
- Neurosurgical pain therapy
- Surgical pain therapy and peripheral nerve damage
- Surgical treatment of chronic headaches and facial pains
- Diagnostics and treatment of neurosurgical diseases in children
- Cerebral palsy
- Brain and skull malformations
- Skull malformations (craniosynostosis)
- Complicated malformations of the anterior part of the nasal cavity
- Arachnoid cyst
- Dandy-Walker malformation
- Malformations of the spinal cord and spine
- Tethered spinal cord syndrome
- Spina bifida
- Intrauterine neurosurgical intervention in spina bifida (fetal surgery)
- Oncological diseases of the central and peripheral nervous system in children
- Pilocytic astrocytoma
- Tumors developing during the first year of life
- Pituitary adenoma
- Brain stem glioma
- Germ cell tumors (for example, germinomas or teratomas)
- Other medical services
- 10.1974 - 03.1977 School of Medicine, Justus Liebig University Gießen, Germany.
- 04.1977 - 05.1981 School of Medicine, Ludwig-Maximilian University of Munich, Germany.
- 18.05.1981 Final examination, Ludwig-Maximilian University of Munich, and approbation, Munich, Germany.
- 07.1991 Board certification in Neurosurgery, Berlin, Germany.
- 06.1997 Board certification in Neurosurgical Intensive Care.
- 10.1982 Doctoral thesis: "The kallikrein-kinin-system as mediator of brain edema" (summa cum laude), Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 02.1988 PhD thesis: "Alterations of blood-brain-barrier function and cerebrovascular tone by mediators of the secondary brain damage", Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Germany.
- 12.1991 Professor of Neurosurgery, Free University of Berlin, Germany.
- 04.2003 Chairman and Professor of the Department of Neurosurgery, University of Heidelberg, Germany.
- 07.1981 - 04.1982 Research Fellow, German Research Foundation (DFG), Institute for Surgical Research, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Germany.
- 05.1982 - 10.1985 Research Fellow, Institute for Surgical Research, Hospital Grosshadern, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Germany (Director: Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h.c. W. Brendel).
- 11.1985 - 12.1986 Research Fellow, German Research Foundation (Un 56/1-1), Department of Neurosurgery, Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, USA (Directors: Prof. Young, Prof. Marmarou).
- 01.1987 - 05.1990 Resident, Department of Neurosurgery, Hospital Grosshadern, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Germany (Director: Prof. Dr. F. Marguth).
- 05.1990 - 12.1991 Assistant Professor, Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Rudolf Virchow, Free University of Berlin, Germany (Director: Prof. Dr. W. R. Lanksch).
- 12.1991 - 03.2003 Professor of Neurosurgery, Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Rudolf Virchow, Humboldt University of Berlin, Germany.
- 10.1995 - 03.2003 Vice Head, Department of Neurosurgery, Charité.
- Since 04.2003 and up to now, Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery, University Hospital Heidelberg, Germany.
- Secondary brain damage following trauma and ischemia.
- Therapeutic studies of brain edema.
- Cerebral blood flow, metabolism and MR-spectroscopy following experimental head injury.
- Monitoring of intracranial pressure, cerebral perfusion pressure and cerebral oxygenation following severe head injury.
- Therapeutic studies in severe head injury.
- Microdialysis following subarachnoid hemorrhage and head injury.
- Intraoperative imaging.
- Vascular neurosurgery.
- Pituitary surgery.
- Skull base surgery.
- Neurosurgical intensive care.
Awards and Honors
- 09.1982 Travel Award of the European Society for Microcirculation.
- 09.1983 E.K. Frey Award of the German Society of Internal Intensive Care.
- 05.1987 Poster Award, American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS).
- 09.1988 Upjohn Award for Neurosurgical Research, European Association of Neurosurgical Societies (EANS).
- 01.1995 Member of the International Expert Group "Guidelines in the Management of Severe Head Injury".
- 07.1995 Investigator Award, International Neurotrauma Society.
Memberships and Activities in Scientific and Professional Societies
- President of the German Society of Neurosurgery.
- Member of the Executive Board, German Interdisciplinary Association for Intensive and Emergency Care.
- Elected President of the German Society of Neurological Intensive Care.
- Euroacademia Multidisciplinaria Neurotraumatologica.
- Member of the Executive Committee, European Brain Injury Consortium.
- International Society for Brain Edema.
- International Neurotrauma Society.
Photo: (с) depositphotos
Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery.
University Hospital Heidelberg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.