University Hospital Heidelberg
Department of Obstetrics, Adult and Pediatric Gynecology (26074)
Specialized in: obstetrics, adult and pediatric gynecology
About the Department of Obstetrics, Adult and Pediatric Gynecology at University Hospital Heidelberg
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Obstetrics, Adult and Pediatric Gynecology at the University Hospital Heidelberg ranks among the top departments in Germany specializing in obstetrics and breast cancer treatment!
The department offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the female genital organs, as well as provides first-class obstetric services, prenatal diagnostics and comprehensive management of pregnancy, including high-risk pregnancy. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Christof Sohn.
As part of the National Cancer Center (NCT), the department ensures an individualized, interdisciplinary treatment of female oncopathology. The department offers all advanced conservative and surgical treatment methods that guarantee the optimal result of therapy. In addition, the gynecologists of the department have extensive experience in the treatment of common gynecological diseases, for example, urinary tract infections, urinary incontinence, and inflammatory processes in the female genital organs. All the therapeutic measures carried out by the doctors of the department meet the highest international standards.
In the field of obstetrics, there is offered prenatal diagnostics, care and counseling of expectant mothers during pregnancy, delivery and postnatal care for both mother and child. A specialized medical team, consisting of obstetricians, an anesthesiologist, pediatricians and nursing staff, works 24 hours a day to make sure that the childbirth is painless and as safe as possible. The doctors have four modern, spacious delivery rooms, equipped with everything necessary for childbirth, for example, special chairs for childbirth, baths for water childbirth.
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
- Diagnostics and treatment of cancers of the female genital organs
- Cervical cancer
- Uterine cancer
- Endometrial cancer
- Ovarian cancer
- Cancer of the vagina and external genitals
- Precancerous conditions (dysplasia)
- Special forms of oncopathology (for example, trophoblastic diseases, germinal tumors)
- Organ-preservation surgery
- Laparoscopic tumor removal methods
- Minimally invasive interventions
- Intra- and postoperative radiotherapy (in collaboration with the Department of Radiation Oncology)
- Drug therapy (chemotherapy, hormone therapy, antibody therapy, modern targeted therapy for tumors)
- Clinical trials
- Diagnostics and treatment of breast diseases, in particular, breast cancer
- Diagnostics and treatment of uterine fibroids
- Conservative drug therapy
- Hormone therapy
- Prescription of drugs
- Naturopathy methods
- Surgical treatment
- Hysteroscopic removal of uterine fibroids
- Laparoscopic removal of uterine fibroids
- Removal of the uterus (hysterectomy)
- Interventional radiation therapy
- Uterine artery embolization
- HIFU therapy
- Conservative drug therapy
- General gynecology
- Aesthetic interventions
- Labia reduction
- Hymen restoration
- Pelvic floor reconstruction
- Vaginal plastic surgery
- Outpatient interventions
- Laser surgery
- Cervical conization
- Tissue sampling (biopsy)
- Diagnostics and treatment of dysplasia
- Endoscopic interventions
- Pelvic organ prolapse
- Urinary incontinence
- Aesthetic interventions
- Pediatric gynecology
- Genital inflammation
- Disorders of sexual development
- Malformations of the genital organs in girls
- Genital trauma
- Help in case of sexual abuse
- Contraception counseling
- Emergency gynecological medical care
- Prenatal medicine and ultrasound diagnostics
- Ultrasound screening
- Measurement of the thickness of the collar space using fetal echocardiography
- Screening to detect preeclampsia
- Target diagnostics to identify fetal malformations
- Doppler scan
- Echocardiography of the fetus in the 1st and 2nd trimester
- Invasive diagnostics and therapy, non-invasive prenatal testing
- Childbirth and postpartum care both for mother and baby
- Courses for expectant mothers (for example, preparation for childbirth, preparation for infant care, etc.)
- Other medical services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Christof Sohn
Education and Professional Career
- 1980 - 1986 Study of Medicine at the University of Ulm, admission to medical practice and defense of a doctoral dissertation on the topic: "The effect of gravity on the venous system of the lower extremity – a prospective study" (summa cum laude).
- 1986 - 1987 Assistant Physician, Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Regional Hospital Albstadt (Prof. Dr. G. Geier).
- 1987 - 1989 Research Fellow, University Hospital Aachen (Prof. Dr. H. Jung).
- 1989 - 1990 Research Fellow, Department of Angiology, University Hospital Essen (Prof. Dr. G. Rudofsky).
- 1991 - 1997 Research Fellow, Department of Gynecology, University Hospital Heidelberg (Prof. Dr. med. Dr.h.c. G. Bastert).
- January 1993 Medical Specialist Exam, Gynecology and Obstetrics.
- May 1993 Habilitation.
- May 1993 Appointed as a Senior Physician at the Department of Gynecology at the University Hospital Heidelberg.
- October 1993 Head of the Section of Prenatal and Gynecological Ultrasound Diagnostics, Department of Gynecology, University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 1997 Optional advanced training in the field of Special Obstetrics and Perinatal Medicine, as well as in Special Surgical Gynecology.
- September 1997 Invitation to the position of C3 Professor in the Department of Gynecology at the University Hospital Frankfurt am Main. He headed the Section of Obstetrics and Perinatal Medicine at the Department of Gynecology at the University Hospital Frankfurt am Main.
- May 01, 2000 Appointment to the position of C4 Professor, Department of Gynecology at the Hannover Medical School. Head of the Department of Obstetrics, Prenatal Medicine and General Gynecology at the Hanover Medical School (Oststadtklinikum).
- 2002 Managing Director of the Gynecology Center at the Hannover Medical School.
- Since November 2004, Head of the Department of Obstetrics, Adult and Pediatric Gynecology at the University Hospital Heidelberg.
- May 1992 Scientific Award of the Society of Gynecology and Obstetrics of the Middle Rhine.
- May 1992 Scientific Award of the Society of Gynecology and Obstetrics of Lower Rhine-Westphalia.
- October 1992
- October 1992 Encouraging Award of the German Society for Ultrasound in Medicine (DEGUM).
- May 27, 1993 Habilitation in the Gynecology and Obstetrics. Subject: "Development of 3D Ultrasound Technologies", University of Heidelberg.
- July 1993 Venia Legendi.
- 1993 Member of the Scientific Advisory Board "Imaging".
- 1995 Award of Master, Encouraging Society Audiovisual Communication und des Medienreport Verlags GmbH, for the video film "The Origin of Human Life".
- 1996 Member of the Board of Trustees of the Academy of Medical Education in
- 1997 Member of the Editorial Board of Surgical Endoscopy.
- 1997 Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Gynecological Practice.
- 1999 Educational Prize of the German Professional Association of Gynecologists.
- 2000 Innovation Award of the German Professional Association of Gynecologists.
- 2001 Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Membership in Scientific Societies
- Member of the German Society for Ultrasound in Medicine (DEGUM).
- Member of the German Society of Gynecology and Obstetrics (DGGG).
- Member of the German Society of Perinatal Medicine.
- Member of the International Society of Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology (ISUOG).
- Member of the Board of Trustees of the Swiss Academy of Medical Education.
Photo: (с) depositphotos
Department of Obstetrics, Adult and Pediatric Gynecology.
University Hospital Heidelberg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.