University Hospital Heidelberg
Department of Neurology (26076)
Specialized in: neurology
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Neurology at the University Hospital Heidelberg is included in the ranking of the best German departments specializing in the treatment of multiple sclerosis!
The department offers the full range of services in the diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the central and peripheral nervous system. Patients are treated in close cooperation with the Departments of Neurosurgery and Neuroradiology, which allows for an interdisciplinary, integrated approach. The department treats more than 8,000 inpatients and 23,000 outpatients every year. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Wolfgang Wick.
The key areas of specialization include neuro-oncology (treatment of cancer of the nervous system), vascular neurology (treatment of stroke, including acute one), neuroimmunology (treatment of multiple sclerosis, neuromyelitis and other neuroimmunological diseases), as well as the most effective intensive care for the patients with neuropathology, in critical condition. Many patients of the department take part in clinical trials of new treatment methods and drugs, which often cause a positive trend in the treatment process.
The accurate diagnostics is ensured by the high-tech equipment of the department. The doctors of the department conduct ultrasound neurological studies, functional studies of muscles, nerves, spinal cord and brain (for example, electromyography, electroneurography, registration of evoked potentials, transcranial magnetic stimulation, tremor polygraph analysis electroencephalography for measuring electrical activities of various brain regions, cerebrospinal fluid testing, etc.).
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of motor disorders
- Parkinson's disease
- Atypical Parkinson's syndrome (multisystem atrophy, progressive supranuclear palsy, corticobasal degeneration)
- Gait abnormalities
- Tick disorders
- Hereditary spastic spinal paralysis
- Diagnostics and treatment of neuromuscular diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of stroke (also in the acute stage)
- Diagnostics and treatment of epilepsy
- Diagnostics and treatment of various forms of dementia
- Diagnostics and treatment of neuroimmunological diseases
- Multiple sclerosis
- Inflammatory processes of the optic nerve
- Autoimmune encephalitis
- Inflammatory neuropathies
- Rheumatologic systemic diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of neuro-oncological diseases
- Malignant brain tumors
- Malignant spinal cord tumors
- Diagnostics and treatment of chronic headaches (migraines, cluster headaches)
- Intensive care for critically ill neurological patients
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic services
- 06/89 - 09/90 Alternative civil service, Marienhospital Bonn.
- 10/90 - 08/93 Study of Medicine, University of Bonn.
- 09/93 - 06/94 Royal College of London, UK.
- 07/94 - 08/96 University of Bonn.
- 09/96 - 05/97 Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA.
- 06/97 - 11/97 University of Bonn.
- 11/97 Preliminary admission to medical practice.
- 05/98 Doctoral dissertation defense, Institute of Neuropathology (Prof. Dr. O.D. Wiestler), University of Bonn.
- 01/98 - 06/99 Intern, Department of Neurology, University of Tuebingen (Head: Prof. Dr. J. Dichgans).
- 07/99 - 12/01 Research Fellow, Department of Neurology, University of Tuebingen.
- 01/02 - 12/02 Research Fellow, Department of Psychiatry, University of Tuebingen (Head: Prof. Dr. G. Buchkremer).
- 04/03 Medical Specialist in Neurology.
- 07/03 Habilitation and Venia Legendi in Neurology.
- 08/03 - 10/08 Leader of the group of young specialists in the study of hematopoietic stem cells and glioma, Baden-Wuerttemberg.
- 08/04 - 12/06 Senior Physician, Department of Neurology.
- Since 10/2005, Coordination Committee for the Study of Brain Tumors EORTC.
- 04 - 12/06 Deputy Head of the Department of General Neurology, University Hospital Tuebingen.
- Since 01/07 and up to now, Head and Professor of the Department of Neurology at the University Hospital Heidelberg.
- Head of Neurology Section, German Cancer Research Center.
- 07/07 - 06/14 Board Member of the Working Group on Neuro-Oncology of the German Cancer Society (NOA).
- Since 09/2008, Board Member of the European Association of Neuro-Oncology.
- Since 06/2009, Representative of the Group for the Study of Brain Tumors, EORTC.
- Since 03/2009, Member of the Committee of Young Professionals of the German Cancer Organization (Deutsche Krebshilfe).
- Since 01/2010, Member of the Board of Directors of the National Cancer Center (NCT).
- 01/10 - 04/14 Member of the Executive Board of the European Cancer Organization (ECCO).
- Since 06/2014, Representative of the Working Group on Neuro-Oncology of the German Cancer Society (NOA).
- Since 10/2014, Head of the Department of Neurology at the University Hospital Heidelberg.
- Since 1998, Over 250 reviewed publications.
Awards and Honors
- 1991 - 1997 Fellow of the Student Foundation of the German People (Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes).
- 1996 Research Grant from the Beringer Ingelheim Foundation.
- 1997 Best Doctoral Dissertation at the Faculty of Medicine, University of Bonn.
- 2001 Award in Neurobiology, University of Tuebingen.
- 2003 Novartis Prize for Clinical Trials.
- 2005 Sibylle-Assmus Prize for achievements in the field of neuro-oncology.
- 2006 Pette Prize of the German Society of Neurology (DGN).
- 2009 Best Lecture by the World Federation of Neuro-Oncology, Japan.
Department of Neurology.
University Hospital Heidelberg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.