University Hospital Heidelberg
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolic Disorders (26080)
Peter Paul Nawroth
Specialized in: endocrinology, metabolic disorders
About the Department of Endocrinology and Metabolic Disorders at University Hospital Heidelberg
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Endocrinology and Metabolic Disorders at the University Hospital Heidelberg ranks among the top German departments specializing in the treatment of diabetes mellitus!
The department offers the full range of services in the diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the endocrine glands, metabolic disorders. Of particular interest is the treatment of diabetes mellitus, obesity, osteoporosis and thyroid pathologies. All doctors of the department have in-depth expert knowledge, vast experience, and also have at their disposal all the modern methods allowing them to ensure a positive treatment outcome. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h.c. Peter Paul Nawroth.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of type 1 and 2 diabetes mellitus, rare forms of diabetes mellitus, gestational diabetes mellitus
- Individual and group training of diabetes patients for a new way of life
- Insulin pump therapy and training of patients how to use the insulin pumps by themselves
- Special diagnostics of nerve lesion due to the diabetes mellitus (including autonomic neuropathy)
- Consultations on nutrition in diabetes mellitus
- Diagnostics and treatment of diabetic foot
- Prevention of cardiovascular diseases
- Interdisciplinary consultation on obesity
- Diagnostics and therapy of lipid metabolism disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of hormone-induced arterial hypertension
- Diagnostics and treatment of endocrine pathology
- Thyroid and parathyroid diseases
- Thyroid cancer
- Autonomous adenoma
- Primary, secondary, or tertiary hyperparathyroidism
- Diagnostics and treatment of adrenal gland diseases
- Adrenal adenoma
- Cushing's disease
- Conn's syndrome
- Adrenal cancer
- Endocrine diseases caused by tumors (for example, adrenal and pituitary tumors)
- Diagnostics and treatment of hypoglycemia and insulinoma
- Growth disorders caused by hormonal disorders
- Metabolic disorders which can lead to hypogonadism and erection problems
- Infertility due to the hormonal disorders
- Metabolic disorders due to obesity and diabetes mellitus
- Hypertrichosis in women
- Thyroid and parathyroid diseases
- Nutritional advice and diet therapy in short bowel syndrome
- Diagnostics and treatment of neuroendocrine tumors
- Diagnostics and treatment of osteoporosis (bisphosphonate therapy)
- Other medical services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h.c. Peter Paul Nawroth
Scientific and Professional Career
- Since 2007, Deputy Head of the Presidium at the University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 2008 Start of work at the Diabetes Center, University Hospital Heidelberg.
- Since 2006, Head of the Department of Endocrinology and Metabolic Disorders, University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 2001 C4 Professor and Head of the Department of Endocrinology and Metabolic Disorders, University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 1999 - 2001 C3 Professor and Head of the Section of Vascular Surgery in the Department of Internal Medicine IV, University Hospital Tuebingen.
- 1997 Co-Founder of the Wilex Biotechnology.
- 1996 Professor of the Schilling Foundation.
- 1996 Advanced training in Endocrinology and Diabetology at the German Diabetes Society.
- 1995 Advanced training in Angiology.
- 1992 Habilitation in Internal Medicine.
- 1992 Senior Physician.
- 1991 Medical Specialist in Internal Medicine.
- 1987 - 1991 Professional training in Internal Medicine (Endocrinology, Metabolic Disorders, Section of Nephrology), University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 1985 - 1987 Postgraduate Internship, Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation, USA.
- 1982 - 1985 Postgraduate Internship, Columbia University, New York, USA.
- 1980 - 1981 Research Fellow in the Department of Internal Medicine (Gastroenterology), University Hospital Tuebingen.
- 1980 Doctoral thesis defense, University of Hamburg.
- 1974 - 1980 Study of Medicine at the University of Hamburg.
Positions in Scientific Societies and Committees
- 2011 - 2014 Board Member of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD).
- Since 2009, Scientific Advisory Board, German Center for Diabetes Research, Duesseldorf.
- 2006 - 2010 Board Member of the Medical Faculty at the University of Heidelberg.
- 2005 - 2007 Chairman of the German Diabetes Society.
- 2005 - 2006 Advisory Board of the Southwest German Society of Internal Medicine.
- Since 2005, Editor of Experimental and Clinical Endocrinology & Diabetes.
- Since 2004, Responsible for the centralization of laboratory trials at the University Hospital Heidelberg.
- Since 2001, Head of the Organizing Committee on Geriatrics.
Awards and Honorary Memberships
- 2010 Honorary Doctoral Degree at Riga Stradins University, Latvia.
- Since 2005, Member of the National Academy of Sciences Leopoldina.
- 1993 Heisenberg Scholarship of the German Research Foundation (DFG).
Photo: (с) depositphotos
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolic Disorders.
University Hospital Heidelberg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.