University Hospital Heidelberg
Department of Cardiology, Angiology and Pulmonology (26081)
Hugo Albert Katus
Specialized in: cardiology, angiology, pulmonology
About the Department of Cardiology, Angiology and Pulmonology at University Hospital Heidelberg
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Cardiology, Angiology and Pulmonology at the University Hospital Heidelberg is included in the ranking of the best German departments specializing in the treatment of cardiovascular diseases!
The department offers the accurate diagnostics and effective treatment of diseases of the heart, blood vessels, lung and respiratory tract. The department has 132 beds. A large team of more than 500 employees takes care of the patients’ health. All of them have excellent qualifications and make every effort to provide first-class treatment to each patient. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Hugo Albert Katus.
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
Cardiology (including interventional procedures)
- Diagnostics and treatment of coronary heart disease
- Coronary angiography
- Balloon dilatation
- Rotablation and restoration of coronary vascular patency
- Measurement of fractional flow reserve
- Intravascular ultrasound
- Diagnostics and treatment of heart valve diseases
- Aortic valve diseases
- Transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI)
- Mitral valve diseases
- Cardioband implantation
- Interventions to replace worn, surgically fixed bioprostheses
- Balloon valvuloplasty for mitral stenosis
- Pulmonary valve diseases
- Artificial valve implantation
- Aortic valve diseases
- Interventions in structural heart diseases
- Catheter procedures to eliminate occlusion of the left atrial appendage
- Catheter procedures to close a persistent oval window
- Catheter procedures to close atrial septal defect
- Diagnosis and treatment of heart rhythm disturbances (cardiac arrhythmias)
- Pacemaker implantation
- Defibrillator implantation
- Cardiac resynchronization therapy
- Event recorder implantation
- Diagnostics and treatment of cardiomyopathy
- Diagnostics and treatment of heart failure
- Diagnostics and treatment of carditis
- Diagnostics and treatment of muscular dystrophy affecting the myocardium
- Immunoadsorption (therapy using protein A) in chronic myocardial insufficiency (dilated cardiomyopathy)
- Diagnostics and treatment of cardiac malignant neoplasms
- Diagnostics and treatment of cardiac amyloidosis
- Non-invasive imaging
- Cardiac CT
- Cardiac MRI
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic methods
- Interventional angiology
- Peripheral vascular diseases
- Balloon angioplasty
- Renal denervation
- Renal artery stenosis
- Peripheral vascular diseases
- Interventional phlebology
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Chronic venous obstruction
- Chronic venous insufficiency
- Diagnostics and treatment of blood clotting disorders
- Hemorrhagic diathesis
- Diagnostics and treatment of angiologic problems in diabetes foot (within the framework of the specialized center)
- Other medical services
- Diagnostics and treatment of obstructive respiratory diseases (asthma, COPD, pulmonary emphysema)
- Diagnostics and treatment of interstitial lung diseases, sarcoidosis
- Diagnostics and treatment of pleural diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of infectious lung diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of pulmonary vascular diseases, pulmonary hypertension
- Diagnostics and treatment of sleep-related respiratory disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of neoplasms in the lung and other thoracic organs
- Differential diagnostics of respiratory distress of unknown origin
- Other medical services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Hugo Albert Katus
- 1970 - 1976 Study of Human Medicine at the University of Heidelberg.
- 1976 Doctoral dissertation, University of Heidelberg.
- 1978 - 1980 Research Activities, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA (Scholarship of the German Research Foundation).
- 1988 Habilitation, University of Heidelberg (Supervisor: Prof. Dr. W. Kübler). Subject: "Diagnostics and determination of the severity of acute myocardial infarction using monoclonal antibodies."
- 1977 - 1978 Assistant Physician, Department of Internal Medicine III, University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 1978 - 1980 Scholarship of the German Research Foundation, Harvard Medical School, Boston.
- 1980 - 1986 Research Fellow, Department of Internal Medicine III, University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 1986 Senior Physician, Department of Internal Medicine III, University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 1987 Medical Specialist in Internal Medicine.
- 1987 Habilitation in Internal Medicine.
- 1988 Medical Specialist in Cardiology.
- 1996 - 2002 C4 Professor in Internal Medicine, University Hospital Lübeck, as well as the Head of the Department of Cardiology, Angiology, Pulmonology, Hemostaseology, Psychosomatics.
- Since 2002, C4 Professor and Head of the Department of Cardiology, Angiology and Pulmonology at the University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 2002 - 2008 Representative of the network of Centers for Cardiovascular Pathology within the National Genome Research Network.
- Since 2002, President of the Academy of Cardiology.
- Since 2004, Publisher of the Clinical Research in Cardiology (the official scientific journal of the German Society of Cardiology).
- Since 2005, Representative of the Coordination Center of the Departments of Internal Therapy at the Heidelberg University Hospital.
- 2008 - 2010 Representative of the National Network of Genome Research Centers.
- Since 2011, Representative of the German Center for Cardiomyopathy Heidelberg/Mannheim.
- 2012 - 2013 Representative of the National Network of Genome Research Centers.
- 2013 Chairman of the Annual Conference of the German Society of Cardiology.
- 2015 - 2017 Elected President of the German Society of Cardiology.
- Since 2017, President of the German Society of Cardiology.
Scientific Interests in Cardiovascular Medicine
- 1973 - 1976 Experimental Electrophysiology.
- 1976 - 1978 Clinical Hemodynamics (blood pressure measurement, determination of myocardial contraction indicators).
- 1978 Biochemistry, Immunology, Clinical Chemistry (new methods for the diagnostics of cardiomyocyte necrosis, markers of myocardial damage).
- 1985 - 1991 Biochemistry, Physiology, muscle contraction (demyelinated fibers, isoform expression of myofibrillar proteins).
- 1991 Molecular Biology, Molecular and Clinical Genetics (causes of familial dilated cardiomyopathy, transfer of somatic genes, transgenic animal models).
Important Contribution in Cardiovascular Medicine
- 2001 Foundation of the Academy of the German Society of Cardiology.
- 2004 Foundation of the first Chest Pain Unit in Germany.
- 2012 Foundation of the first in Germany Advance Heart Failure Unit.
- 1995 Innovation Award in German Economy (Troponin T).
- 1997 Arthur Weber Award of the German Society of Cardiology.
- 1999 Franz Loogen Award of the Essen Society for the Study of the Cardiovascular System.
- 2006 Award for Outstanding Contribution to Clinical Chemistry of the American Society of Clinical Chemistry.
- 2009 Innovation Award, BioRegion, Germany.
- 2011 Paul Morawicz Prize of the German Society of Cardiology.
- 2012 European Inventor Award, nomination: "Troponin blood test for the diagnostics of myocardial infarction."
- 2014 Scientist in Thomson Reuters Science Report.
- Troponin T, embryonic stem cell differentiation, S100A1 therapy.
Membership in Professional Societies
- Since 1988, German Society for the Research of Cardiovascular Diseases.
- Since 1988, American Heart Association, Fundamental Science.
- 1989 International Heart Research Society.
- Since 1992, German Society for General Therapy.
- Since 1998, Member of the European Society of Cardiology.
- Since 2011, Member of the American College of Cardiology.
- Since 2013, Member of the American Heart Association.
- Over 1340 original articles.
- Over 42 chapters in books.
- Over 33 patents.
Photo: (с) depositphotos
Department of Cardiology, Angiology and Pulmonology.
University Hospital Heidelberg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.