University Hospital Heidelberg
Department of General Pediatrics, Pediatric Neurology, Metabolic Disorders, Gastroenterology and Nephrology (26084)
Georg Friedrich Hoffmann
Specialized in: general pediatrics, pediatric neurology, metabolic disorders, gastroenterology, nephrology
About the department
The Department of General Pediatrics, Pediatric Neurology, Metabolic Disorders, Gastroenterology and Nephrology at the University Hospital Heidelberg offers the full range of services in these medical fields. The department has an excellent infrastructure and modern technical equipment that allows for the timely detection of the smallest violations in the children's body and their effective elimination. The highly qualified interdisciplinary team of doctors takes care of the health of young patients. It provides not only first-class treatment, but also a friendly, attentive attitude towards each child. The department is headed by Prof. h.c. Dr. med. Georg Friedrich Hoffmann. He is a world-renowned specialist with long clinical experience and unique knowledge in pediatrics.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of general pediatric diseases (general pediatrics)
- Infectious diseases
- Growth, development disorders
- Stomach ache
- Pain in the muscles and joints
- Inflammatory processes in the lymph nodes and neoplasm of unknown origin
- Fever of unknown origin
- Skin diseases
- Tropical diseases
- Rheumatic diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of metabolic disorders, including screening of newborns (within the specialized center)
- Amino acid metabolic disorders (for example, maple syrup disease, tyrosinemia)
- Aciduria (glutaric aciduria type I, methylmalonic aciduria, propionic aciduria)
- Carbohydrate metabolic disorders (glycogenosis, galactosemia, hereditary fructose intolerance)
- Disorders of fatty acid oxidation
- Respiratory chain defects and related disorders
- Cholesterol biosynthesis disorders (for example, Smith-Lemli-Opitz syndrome)
- Protein biosynthesis disorders
- Lysosomal storage diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of neurological diseases
- Developmental disorders
- Behavioral disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the endocrine glands, hormonal disorders and diabetes in children
- Diagnostics and treatment of gastrointestinal diseases
- Chronic inflammatory bowel disease
- Short bowel syndrome/intestinal failure
- Liver and pancreatic diseases
- Eating disorders
- Celiac disease
- Diagnostics and treatment of kidney diseases in children
- Acute and chronic kidney failure
- Renal replacement therapy (dialysis or kidney transplantation)
- All modern dialysis procedures (for example, extracorporeal hemodialysis, peritoneal dialysis)
- Care for children and adolescents before and after kidney transplantation
- Psychosocial care for patients and their families
- Other medical services
- 1976 - 1984 Study of Medicine at the universities of Göttingen (Germany) and Birmingham (United Kingdom).
- 1984 Doctorate with honors, University of Göttingen.
- 1984 - 1986 Postdoctoral Fellow, Division of Biochemical Genetics, Department of Pediatrics, University of California, San Diego, USA (Ph.D. L. Sweetman and Ph.D. V.L. Nayhan).
- 1984 - 1991 Clinical training in Pediatrics, Children's Hospital at the University of California, San Diego, USA, as well as in Göttingen and Heidelberg.
- 1992 - 1994 Group Leader, Head of the Section for Metabolic Disorders, Department of Pediatrics at the University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 1994 - 1999 Professor of General Pediatrics, Philip University of Marburg, as well as the Head of the Department of Pediatric Neurology and Metabolic Disorders.
- Since 1999, Professor of General Pediatrics and Chief Physician of the Department of General Pediatrics, Pediatric Neurology, Metabolic Disorders, Gastroenterology and Nephrology at the University Hospital Heidelberg.
Awards and Honors
- 1986 Noel Rein Award of the Society for the Study of Congenital Metabolic Disorders.
- 1994 Award of the Society for the Study of Congenital Metabolic Disorders.
- 2000 Science 4 Life Award.
- Development of screening strategies in patients with cystic fibrosis.
- Pathophysiology and treatment of metabolic disorders.
- Rare hereditary diseases.
Department of General Pediatrics, Pediatric Neurology, Metabolic Disorders, Gastroenterology and Nephrology.
University Hospital Heidelberg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.