University Hospital Heidelberg
Department of Pediatric Cardiology and Congenital Heart Diseases (26085)
Specialized in: pediatric cardiology, congenital heart diseases
About the department
The Department of Pediatric Cardiology, Congenital Heart Diseases at the University Hospital Heidelberg offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment of all forms of congenital and acquired heart defects in newborns, young children and adolescents. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Matthias Gorenflo.
Special attention is paid to the treatment of congenital cardiovascular diseases with the help of catheterization procedures (interventional cardiology), pediatric intensive care, as well as outpatient care for patients with congenital heart defects as part of comprehensive consultations. In addition, the tasks of the department’s physicians include interdisciplinary care for adults with congenital heart defects. The department has an in-house state-of-the-art Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory, as well as the necessary medical equipment for the diagnostics of fetal cardiac abnormalities in the womb.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of congenital heart diseases
- Ventricular septal defect
- Atrial septal defect
- Patent ductus arteriosus
- Pulmonary valve stenosis
- Coarctation of the aorta
- Aortic stenosis
- Tetralogy of Fallot
- Atrioventricular septal defect
- Transposition of large vessels
- Left heart hypoplastic syndrome
- Pulmonary atresia with / without ventricular septal defect
- Tricuspid atresia
- Double-inlet left ventricle
- Double outlet right ventricle
- Persistent truncus arteriosus
- Hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy
- Supravalvular aortic stenosis (Williams-Beuren syndrome)
- Functional diagnostics
- Tilt test
- Stress ECG (on a treadmill or exercise bike)
- 12-channel digital ECG
- Processing of high-resolution signals and digital information storing
- Diagnostics and treatment of tracheal malformations
- Tracheal stenosis
- Combined malformations of group A and B
- Imaging diagnostics and planning of the surgical treatment (cardiac CT, MRI)
- Catheterization procedures
- Catheter diagnostics in congenital and acquired heart defects in children and adolescents
- Catheter diagnostics for congenital heart defects in young adults
- Interventional therapeutic interventions
- Interventional closure of the patent ductus arteriosus
- Interventional closure of atrial and interventricular septal defects
- Interventional occlusion of abnormal vascular pathways (collaterals)
- Heart valve dilatation
- Vascular dilatation
- Stent implantation in the pulmonary artery, aorta
- Hybrid interventions
- Hybrid palliation of one ventricle (hybrid stage I) in patients with left heart hypoplastic syndrome
- Intraoperative pulmonary catheterization with balloon dilatation and stent placement
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO)
- Implantation of mechanical heart support systems (Berlin Heart®)
- Heart transplantation
- Other medical services
- Appointed as a W3 Professor of Pediatric Cardiology, Heidelberg University.
- 2002 Habilitation, University of Heidelberg. Subject: "The system of lung endothelin and its value in pulmonary hypertension in children."
- 1985 Doctoral dissertation, University of Freiburg (Breisgau). Subject: "The use of new suture materials in comparison with the two methods of suturing in the formation of anastomosis of the small intestine in a pig."
- 1985 ECFMG certificate.
- 1979 - 1985 Study of Medicine at the University of Freiburg (Breisgau).
- Since 09/2010, Head of the Department of Pediatric Cardiology, Congenital Heart Diseases at the University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 2008 - 2010 Consulting Physician, Department of Pediatric Cardiology, University Center Leuven, Belgium.
- 2003 - 2008 Leading Senior Physician, Department of Pediatric Cardiology, University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 2000 - 2003 Senior Physician, Pediatric Cardiology Department, University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 1995 - 2000 Medical Specialist, Department of Pediatric Cardiology, University hospital Heidelberg.
- 1995 Research Fellow, Department of Congenital Heart Diseases, German Heart Center, Berlin.
- 1994 - 1995 Research Fellow, Scholarship of the German Research Foundation (DFG), Institute of Children's Health, Hospital for Sick Children, London (UK), Department of Vascular Biology.
- 1988 - 1994 Research Assistant, Department of Pediatrics, Free University of Berlin.
- 1987 - 1988 Assistant Physician, Department of Internal Cardiology and Intensive Care, Karlsruhe Municipal Hospital.
- 1986 - 1987 Research fellow at the Medical Center for Pathology at the University of Marburg.
- Pulmonary hypertension.
- Catheter interventional procedures.
- Treatment of adults with congenital heart defects.
- Pulmonary hypertension.
- Right ventricle remodeling.
- Interventional cardiology.
- 1995 Medical Specialist in Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine.
- 1998 Pediatric intensive are.
- 2000 Pediatric cardiology.
- 2006 Neonatology.
- 2008 Adults with congenital heart disease (EMAH).
Authorization for Advanced Training
- Pediatric cardiology.
- Intensive care.
- German Society of Pediatric Cardiology (DGPK).
- German Society of Cardiology (DGK).
- German Society of Neonatology and Pediatric Intensive Medicine (GNPI).
- European Association of Pediatric Cardiology and Congenital Malformations (AEPC).
Positions and Responsibilities
- Member of the Medical Faculty of the University of Heidelberg.
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the German Heart Research Foundation.
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the German Society of Pediatric Cardiology.
- Member of the Working Group "Interventional Cardiology" of the the German Society of Pediatric Cardiology.
- Member of the Working Group 25 "Pulmonary hypertension" of the German Society of Cardiology.
- Chairman of the Working Group "Genetics, basic research and hereditary muscle diseases" AEPC (2011-2014).
Photo: (с) depositphotos
Department of Pediatric Cardiology and Congenital Heart Diseases.
University Hospital Heidelberg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.