University Hospital Heidelberg
Department of Pediatric Oncology, Hematology, Immunology and Pulmonology (26086)
Specialized in: pediatric oncology, hematology, immunology, pulmonology
About the department
The Department of Pediatric Oncology, Hematology, Immunology and Pulmonology at the University Hospital Heidelberg offers the full range of services in these fields and specializes in the treatment of children and adolescents with cancers, diseases of the blood and immune system, as well as pathologies of the lungs, respiratory tract. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Andreas Kulozik.
The department ranks among the largest medical institutions of this kind in Germany, which offers all the modern therapeutic capabilities in these fields. The department's doctors have over 25 years of experience in bone marrow transplantation. An important focus of the department is the treatment of benign blood disorders, including anemia, blood clotting disorders, and immunodeficiencies.
In the field of oncology, the department provides the high-quality treatment, as well as the first-class follow-up care and psychological support. The treatment of young patients is carried out in close cooperation with the Departments of Pediatric Neurosurgery, Pediatric Neuroradiology, Radiation Therapy, Neuropediatrics, Pediatric Neuro-Oncology. Each clinical case is considered as part of regular tumor boards, after which an optimal treatment strategy is developed in accordance with the requirements of the Society for Pediatric Oncology and Hematology.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of brain tumors
- Differential diagnostics and treatment of anemia in childhood (special focus on thalassemia)
- Diagnostics and treatment of blood clotting disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of immunodeficiencies
- Ion radiotherapy (within a specialized center)
- Diagnostics and treatment of osteosarcoma
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the lungs, respiratory tract
- Congenital and acquired lung diseases (for example, chronic cough, bronchitis, bronchiolitis obliterans, primary dyskinesia, bronchiectasis, pulmonary fibrosis)
- Cystic fibrosis
- Bronchial asthma
- Allergies (for example, allergies to pollen, insect venom, drugs, urticaria, acute allergic reactions)
- Eczema / atopic eczema
- Infections (for example, infections with immunodeficiency and tuberculosis)
- Vaccination issues
- Other medical services
- 1978 - 1984 Study of Human Medicine at the Universities of Muenster and Glasgow.
- 1984 Admission to medical practice.
- 1985 Doctoral thesis defense (Doctor of Medicine) at the University of Muenster.
- 1987 Doctor of Philosophy, Department of Molecular Hematology (MRC), University of Oxford, UK.
- 1987 - 1993 Advanced training in Pediatrics, Department of Pediatrics at the University Hospital Ulm.
- 1993 Habilitation and Venia Legendi in Pediatrics.
- 1994 - 1996 Senior Physician, Department of Pediatrics, Charite University Hospital, Berlin.
- 1996 - 2001 University Professor, Pediatrics, Charite University Hospital, Berlin, as well as the Deputy Head in the Department of General Pediatrics.
- Since 12.2001 Head of the Department of Pediatric Oncology, Hematology, Immunology and Pulmonology at the University Hospital Heidelberg.
- Since 02.2002, Co-Director of the Molecular Medicine Partnership Unit (MMPU).
- Medical Specialist in Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine.
- Specialization in Pediatric Hematology and Oncology.
- Pediatric Intensive Care.
- Pediatric Pulmonology.
Scientific Awards and Honors
- 1987 Young Investigator Prize of the British Society for Hematology.
- 1993 Adalbert Czerny Prize of the German Society of Pediatrics.
- 1994 Merckle Research Prize, University of Ulm.
- 2005 Elected Member of the European Molecular Biology Organization (EMBO), University of Ulm.
- 2007 Manfred Lautenschläger Research Prize.
- 2011 Elected Member of the German National Academy of Sciences Leopoldina.
Photo: (с) depositphotos
Department of Pediatric Oncology, Hematology, Immunology and Pulmonology.
University Hospital Heidelberg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.