University Hospital Heidelberg
Department of Nephrology (266451)
Specialized in: nephrology
About the department
The Department of Nephrology at the University Hospital Heidelberg offers the full range of modern diagnostics and effective treatment of all kidney diseases. The department's highly qualified medical team, which has 180 employees, provides its services to about 1,700 inpatients and 8,000 outpatients annually. In collaboration with the Department of General, Abdominal and Transplant Surgery, more than 2,000 kidney transplantations have been performed during long clinical practice. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Martin Zeier.
Thanks to the outstanding results in kidney transplantation, treatment of acute kidney failure, diabetic nephropathy and hypertension, the department has won leading positions both at the national and international levels.
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
- Comprehensive ultrasound diagnostics
- Laboratory tests (special focus on differentiated urine test)
- 24-hour blood pressure monitoring
- Ultrasound-guided kidney biopsy
- Diagnostics and treatment of primary arterial hypertension (pathology associated with genetic predisposition)
- Diagnostics and treatment of all forms of secondary arterial hypertension
- Renoparenchymatous hypertension
- Renal artery stenosis
- And other rare forms of the disease
- Diagnostics and treatment of chronic and acute kidney failure
- Peritoneal dialysis
- Blood plasma cascade filtration
- Low-density lipoprotein apheresis
- Bilirubin apheresis
- Apheresis with the use of Prometheus®
- Immunoadsorption (for example, on Globaffin, Therasorb, Glycorex sorbents)
- Kidney transplantation
- Psychological support
- Other medical services
- 1978 - 1979 Study of Mathematics and Physics at the Heidelberg University.
- 1979 - 1985 Study of Human Medicine, Heidelberg University.
- 1985 Admission to medical practice, Heidelberg.
- 1986 Doctoral thesis defense, Heidelberg University.
- 1991 Medical Specialist in Internal Medicine.
- 1992 Habilitation, Heidelberg University.
- 1993 Specialization in Nephrology.
- 1999 Extraordinary Professor, Heidelberg University.
- 1985 - 1993 Assistant Physician, Department of Nephrology, University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 1993 - 1999 Nephrology Private Practice, Dialysis Center Wiesloch.
- 2000 - 2004 Leading Senior Physician, Department of Nephrology, University Hospital Heidelberg.
- Since 2004, Head of the Department of Nephrology at the University Hospital Heidelberg.
- Arterial hypertension.
- Acute kidney failure.
- Kidney transplantation.
- Acute kidney failure due to the viral infections.
- Kidney transplantation.
Photo: (с) depositphotos
Department of Nephrology.
University Hospital Heidelberg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.