Diagnosis of mediastinal tumor (program ID: 102641)
University Hospital Heidelberg
Hauke WinterSpecialized in: adult and pediatric thoracic surgery
Department of Adult and Pediatric Thoracic Surgery
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- review of medical records
- physical examination
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- inflammation indicators (CRP, ESR)
- indicators of blood coagulation
- tumor markers
- blood gas analysis
- chest x-ray
- electrocardiogram (ECG)
- echocardiography (ECHO)
- high-resolution computed tomography (HRCT)
- pulmonary function test
- biopsy of tumor with histological examination (on indication 2500 €)
- nursing services
- consultation of related specialists
- consultation of the chief physician and all leading experts
- development of individual treatment plan
- written statement
You may also book
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Adult and Pediatric Thoracic Surgery at the University Hospital Heidelberg ranks among the top German departments in the treatment of lung cancer!
The department offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the thoracic organs. The department is among the largest and oldest medical facilities of this kind in Europe. The doctors of the department mostly have to deal with diseases, such as lung cancer, lung metastases, pleural mesothelioma, sarcoma, myasthenia gravis, pulmonary emphysema, and thoracic defects. For the achievements in the field of lung cancer treatment, the department received a certificate from the German Cancer Society. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Hauke Winter.
More than 2,300 surgical interventions of varying severity are performed here annually. The operations are performed using the very latest technologies available in this field, for example, video-assisted thoracic surgery, thoracotomy, laser surgery, robotic interventions using the innovative DaVinci robotic system. In the diagnostics of oncopathology of the thoracic organs, each clinical case is considered at regular interdisciplinary boards. The doctors cooperatively develop the optimal treatment strategy.
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
- Diagnostics and treatment of lung cancer
- Surgical treatment (bilobectomy, pneumonectomy)
- Radiation therapy
- Radiofrequency thermal ablation
- Diagnostics and treatment of lung metastases
- Minimally invasive video-assisted thoracoscopy
- Laser interventions
- Radiofrequency ablation
- Diagnostics and treatment of pleural effusion (exudative pleurisy)
- Diagnostics and treatment of pleural empyema
- Diagnostics and treatment of pleural mesothelioma
- Multimodal therapy
- Radiation therapy
- Correction of thoracic wall deformities in children (Nuss procedure)
- Pectus excavatum
- Pectus carinatum
- Diagnostics and treatment of tracheal diseases (for example, tracheal stenosis)
- Laser treatments
- Resection of the affected segment
- Diagnostics and treatment of pulmonary emphysema
- Diagnostics and treatment of thymus gland
- Diagnostics and treatment of myasthenia
- Other medical services
- 8/2107 Chief Physician of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Thoracic Surgery, University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 2011 - 2017 Head of the Surgical Section, lung transplantation.
- 2008 - 2017 Leading Senior Physician of the Center for Thoracic Surgery Munich, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Grosshadern Hospital.
- 2008 - 2017 Deputy Head of the Department of Thoracic Oncology.
- 2007 Senior Physician, Department of Surgery, Grosshadern Hospital.
- 2007 Specialization in Thoracic Surgery.
- 2005 Acting Head Physician in the Department of Thoracic Surgery, Grosshadern Hospital.
- 2005 Additional qualification in Emergency Medicine.
- 2004 Medical Specialist in Surgery.
- 1997 - 1999 Research Fellow, E.A. Chiles Research Institute, W. Franz Cancer Center, Portland, Oregon, USA (Prof. Bernard A. Fox), Oncoimmunology.
- 1991 - 1997 Assistant Physician, Department of Surgery, Grosshadern Hospital, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 1985 - 1990 Study of Human Medicine, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 1983 - 1985 Study of Human Medicine, University of Giessen.
- 2015 Appointed as a Visiting Professor at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 09/2009 Venia docendi in Surgery, Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich.
- 2006 University didactic training course, Munich-Harvard Alliance for Medical Education.
- 04/2004 Habilitation in Surgery, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich. Subject: "Researches of the mechanisms of action of tumor-specific T-cells".
- 1997 Doctoral thesis defense, Department of Endocrinology, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich. Subject: "The effect of transforming growth factor beta (TGF-β) on the growth and function of isolated pig thyroid follicles".
Memberships in Professional Societies
- German Society of Thoracic Surgery (DGT).
- German Society of Surgery (DGC).
- Society for Immunotherapy of Cancer (SITC).
Honors and Awards
- 1998 Earle A. Chiles Research Prize, Chiles Foundation.
- 2007 Georg Heberer Award.
- 2007 Poster Award of the German Society of Thoracic Surgery.
- 2011 Glasgow City Prize of the European Society for Organ Transplantation.
Accommodation in hospital
- Program [Description]
Diagnosis of mediastinal tumor
- Hospital: University Hospital Heidelberg
- access_time Duration:
There are 55 mediastinal tumor diagnostic hospitals on Booking Health websiteShow all clinics