Diagnosis and conservative treatment of shingles (program ID: 102553)
University Hospital Heidelberg
Alexander EnkSpecialized in: adult and pediatric dermatology
Department of Adult and Pediatric Dermatology
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- review of medical records
- physical examination
- dermatological skin examination
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- biochemical analysis of blood
- inflammation indicators (CRP, ESR)
- herpes simplex virus (HSV)
- Immunoassay for antibody analysis (Ig G, Ig M) to herpes zoster
- differential diagnosis of other diseases of the skin
- consultation of related specialists
- symptomatic specific treatment
- the cost of essential medicines and materials
- nursing services
- control examinations
- full hospital accommodation
- developing of further guidance
You may also book
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Dermatology at the University Hospital Heidelberg offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment of skin diseases, including extremely complex and rare clinical cases in this field. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Alexander Enk.
The department became the first in Germany, which was certified in accordance with the standards of the German Cancer Society, and today occupies a leading position in the treatment of skin cancer both at the national and international level. The priority task of the specialists of the department is to provide patients with the interdisciplinary, individualized medical care.
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
- Diagnostics and treatment of malignant skin diseases
- Malignant melanoma
- Squamous cell carcinoma and basal cell skin cancer
- Skin lymphomas (for example, fungal granuloma)
- Merkel-cell carcinoma
- Angiosarcomas and other rare skin tumors
- Removal of primary tumors, including sentinel node biopsy (both on an inpatient and outpatient basis)
- Targeted therapy (for example, BRAF inhibitor therapy)
- Radiation therapy (in collaboration with the Department of Radiation Oncology)
- Photodynamic therapy
- Very latest methods of therapy within the framework of clinical trials
- Diagnostics and treatment of infectious skin diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of autoimmune skin diseases
- Progressive systemic scleroderma
- Chronic discoid lupus erythematosus
- Systemic lupus erythematosus
- Bullous diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of allergic skin reactions in adults and children
- Insect venom allergy (for example, due to the bite of a wasp, a bee)
- Allergic respiratory diseases (for example, rhinitis, asthma)
- Allergy to drugs
- Photoallergic reactions
- Intolerance to analgesics, local anesthetics
- Contact allergies (for example, to cream, perfume)
- Allergic reactions due to the professional activities (for example, hand eczema, allergic contact dermatitis)
- Atopic eczema
- Chronic urticaria
- Diagnostics and treatment of itching
- Diagnostics and treatment of urticaria
- Diagnostics and treatment of venous diseases (for example, varicose veins)
- Diagnostics and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of psoriasis in adults and children
- Innovative therapeutic procedures
- Phototherapy methods
- Diagnostics and treatment of chronic wounds
- Leg ulcers
- Wounds in diabetes mellitus
- Wounds due to injury
- Wounds in vasculitis
- Decongestants and compression therapy (for example, lymphatic drainage, hardware compression, compression bandages, special stockings for ulcer treatment)
- Vacuum therapy
- Surgical wound healing
- Minimally invasive phlebological procedures (sclerotherapy, endoluminal sclerotherapy)
- Innovative procedures within the framework of clinical trials
- Skin grafting
- Laser aesthetic procedures
- Tattoo removal
- Hair removal on the face and body
- Spider vein removal
- Treatment of excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis)
- Scar revision
- Other skin diseases and treatment methods
Education and Professional Career
- 1982 - 1988 Study of Human Medicine at the Westphalian Wilhelm University of Muenster.
- 1984 - 1988 Doctoral thesis, Department of Dermatology of the University of Muenster.
- 1990 - 1992 Post Doc, Department of Dermatology, National Institutes of Health.
- 1994 - 1997 Assistant Professor, Department of Dermatology, University of Mainz.
- 1995 Habilitation, Department of Dermatology, University of Mainz.
- 1997 Associate Professor and Vice Chairman, Department of Dermatology, University of Mainz.
- 2004 Full Professor and Chairman of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Dermatology at the University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 2002 Appointed as a Full Professor and Chairman of the Department of Dermatology and Venereology, Philipps University Marburg.
- 2003 Appointed as a Full Professor and Chairman of the Department of Dermatology and Venereology, University Hospital Essen.
- 2004 Appointed as a Full Professor and Chairman of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Dermatology, University Hospital Heidelberg.
Photo: (с) depositphotos