University Hospital Muenster
Department of Hematology, Hemostaseology, Oncology and Pneumology (Medical Department A) (113787)
Specialized in: hematology, hemostaseology, oncology, pneumology
About the department
The Medical Department A (Med A) at the University Hospital Muenster deals with the treatment of all kinds of cancer of various organs, including the hematopoietic system. The Department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Wolfgang E. Berdel. The main focuses of research, diagnosis and treatment are on leukemia and lymphomas, malignancies of the gastrointestinal tract, tumors of germ cells (e.g. testicles) and malignancies of bone and connective tissues.
The Department under the direction of Prof. Dr. med. Wolfgang E. Berdel is one of the largest centers in Germany specializing in the treatment of leukemias and lymphoms. Moreover, the Department includes the Stem Cell and Bone Marrow Transplant Center.
The range of therapeutic and diagnostic services also includes all diseases of lungs as well as blood clotting disorders (thromboses, predisposition to bleedings etc.). The Department of Hematology and Oncology at the University Hospital Muenster is the supra-regional Center of Competence in this field.
The Department offers patients the most advanced diagnostic and treatment methods and except that the Department maintains a close cooperation with other specialized Departments of the University Hospital Muenster within the Comprehensive Cancer Center Muenster. The participation in national and international researches gives an opportunity for patients to use the latest medical progress achievements.
The range of services of the Department of Hematology and Oncology at the University Hospital Muenster under the direction of Prof. Dr. med. Wolfgang E. Berdel includes:
- Diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic leukemia (blood cancer)
- Diagnosis and treatment of malignant lymphomas (lymph node cancer) including multiple myeloma
- Diagnosis and treatment of complex tumors
- Allogeneic bone marrow transplant / blood stem cell transplant (foreign or familial donor)
- Autologous bone marrow / blood stem cell transplant after a high-dose therapy
- Therapeutic intensive care (specific hematooncological, pulmonary patients)
- Diagnosis and treatment of pulmonary diseases (lung diseases)
- Special hemostaseology (coagulation disorders)
- 2002 – 2005 Assistant Physician at the Medical Clinic III (Hematology and Oncology), Hospital Großhadern, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich (Head: Professor Dr. W. Hiddemann)
- 2005 – 2009 Postdoctoral fellow at the Laboratory of Dr. Louis Staudt at the National Cancer Institute, Bethesda (USA)
- 2009 – 2014 Professor of "Molecular pathogenesis of malignant lymphomas" at the University Hospital Charité Berlin
- 2012 – 2013 Senior Physician of the Medical Clinic with a focus on Hematology, Oncology and Tumor Immunology at the University Hospital Charité Berlin (Campus Virchow Hospital, Head: Professor Dr. B. Dörken)
- 2013 – 2014 Leading Senior Physician of the Medical Clinic with a focus on Hematology, Oncology and Tumor Immunology at the University Hospital Charité Berlin (Campus Benjamin Franklin; Medical Director: Professor Dr. A. Pezzutto)
- 2014 – 08/2017 Head, Translational Oncology at the University of Muenster
- Since 08/2017 Head of the Medical Department A (Hematology, Hemostaseology, Oncology and Pneumology), University Hospital Muenster
Current Research Projects
- Investigation of the molecular pathogenesis of malignant lymphomas
- Identification of new oncogenes in malignant lymphomas
- Supervision of clinical studies, optimization of the therapy of haematological neoplasias
Department of Hematology, Hemostaseology, Oncology and Pneumology (Medical Department A).
University Hospital Muenster:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home