University Hospital Muenster
Department of General Internal Medicine, Nephrology, Hypertensiology and Rheumatology (113791)
Specialized in: general internal medicine, nephrology, hypertensiology, rheumatology
About the department
The Department of General Internal Medicine, Nephrology, Hypertensiology and Rheumatology at the University Hospital Muenster offers the full range of diagnostic and therapeutic services for the patients with kidney diseases, arterial hypertension and rheumatic pathologies. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Hermann-Joseph Pavenstädt.
The department has in its arsenal all the modern types of renal replacement therapy. In collaboration with the Department of General and Abdominal Surgery, it provides a comprehensive care for patients before and after kidney transplantation. With an annual number of more than 100 kidney transplantations, the department ranks among the most successful and experienced medical facilities in this field. The department treats more than 2,000 inpatients, 8,000 outpatients, as well as 13,500 patients with emergency medical conditions annually.
The department's priority is the provision of the diagnostics and treatment of the highest quality in a friendly atmosphere for each patient. The team of the department's doctors works in accordance with the international scientifically confirmed achievements and the very latest recommendations. In addition, an important role is given to a good emotional mood of patients.
The department’s clinical focuses include:
- Diagnostics and treatment of general diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of acquired types of immunodeficiency (HIV infection, AIDS and HIV-related diseases)
- Prevention, diagnostics and treatment of hypertension
- Diagnostics and treatment of Fabry disease
- Diagnostics and treatment of lipid metabolism disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of all kidney diseases (for example, glomerulonephritis, diabetic nephropathy)
- All types of renal replacement therapy
- Peritoneal dialysis (continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis, automated peritoneal dialysis using a cycler (APD, IPD, NIPD, TPD))
- MARS therapy
- Patient care before and after kidney transplantation
- Diagnostics and treatment of rheumatic diseases (for example, rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, systemic lupus erythematosus, Wegener's granulomatosis)
- Diagnostics and treatment of emergency medical conditions
- Other medical services
- 1979 - 1986 Study of Medicine at the Universities of Regensburg and Freiburg, interrupted by alternative service in the St. Augustin nursing home for the elderly.
- 1988 Thesis subject: "Investigation of intracellular antigens in lymphocyte and macrophage subpopulations of bronchoalveolar lavage".
- 01.02.1987 - 31.03.1987 Research Associate at the University Hospital Freiburg, Department of Internal Medicine IV (Head: Prof. Dr. med. P. Schollmeyer).
- 01.04.1987 - 30.06.1989 Research Associate at the Institute of Physiology in Freiburg (Head: Prof. Dr. med. R. Greger).
- 01.07.1989 - 31.07.1995 Assistant Physician in the Department of Internal Medicine IV at the University Hospital Freiburg.
- 09.1994 Habilitation in Internal Medicine. Subject "On the regulation of ion channels on glomerular mesangial and epithelial cells".
- 07.1994 Board certification Internal Medicine.
- 08.1995 Appointment as Senior Physician (C2).
- 09.1996 Subspecialization in Nephrology.
- 09.2000 Franz Volhard Prize.
- 12.2000 Invitation to the position of C3 Professor of Nephrology and Molecular Biology at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 05.2001 C3 Professor of Internal Medicine at the University Hospital Freiburg, Department of Nephrology and Internal Medicine (Head: Prof. Dr. G. Walz).
- Since 08.2003 C4 Professor, Head of the Department of General Internal Medicine, Nephrology, Hypertensiology and Rheumatology at the University Hospital Muenster.
- 03.2007 Deputy Medical Director of the University Hospital Muenster.
- 05.2008 Board Member of the University Hospital Muenster.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Münster
Department of General Internal Medicine, Nephrology, Hypertensiology and Rheumatology.
University Hospital Muenster:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.