University Hospital Muenster
Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, General Pediatrics (113793)
Specialized in: pediatric and adolescent medicine, general pediatrics
About the department
The Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, General Pediatrics at the University Hospital Muenster deals with the treatment of children and adolescents of all age groups and with all diseases. To meet various requirements depending on diseases and age, the Department has a variety of units and outpatient clinics. For providing child health care, there is maintained an active cooperation with various fields within general pediatrics and with other departments of the University Hospital Münster. The Department is headed by Univ.-Prof. Dr. Heymut Omran, pediatrician with a special qualification in pediatric pulmonology, endocrinology, diabetology and neuropediatrics.
The University Hospital Muenster is distinguished due to the fact that all necessary disciplines needed for an optimal treatment of such small patients are under one roof and closely cooperate. Specifically, these include pediatric surgery, pediatric cardiac surgery, pediatric neurosurgery, pediatric urology, human genetics, dental and maxillofacial surgery, otolaryngology). An interdisciplinary pediatric intensive care unit of the Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine at the University Hospital Münster provides medical care to all patients in the Intensive Care Unit of the Center for Pediatric Medicine.
The main treatment focuses of the Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine under the direction of Univ.-Prof. Dr. Heymut Omran at the University Hospital Muenster are:
- Rare diseases
- Congenital metabolic disorders
- Cystic fibrosis
- Pediatric intensive care medicine
- Pediatric nephrology
- Pediatric pneumonology
- Pediatric gastroenterology
- Pediatric endocrinology and diabetology
- Neuromuscular diseases
- Social pediatrics
Qualifications and Training
- 1986 University-entrance diploma "Adalbert-Stifter-Gymnasium", Castrop-Rauxel
- 1986 – 1987 Alternative service at German Red Cross
- 1987 – 1994 Study of Human Medicine at the Albert Ludwig University of Freiburg
Scholarships and Medical Training Abroad
- Since 1988, Member of the German Scholarship Foundation (scholar of Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes)
- 1990 – 1991 Medical training at the University of Manchester, England, UK
- 1993 – 1994 Scholarship of the state of Baden-Württemberg for the University of Massachusetts, USA
- 1994 – 1996 Internship at the University Children's Hospital Freiburg
- 1996 – 2001 Research Fellow at the University Children's Hospital Freiburg
- 02/2001 Medical Specialist in Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine
- 02/2002 Senior Physician at the Center for Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, Freiburg
- 12/2002 Faculty member (Venia legendi, Habilitation), University of Freiburg. Thesis title: "Adolescent nephronophthisis with and without Leber congenital amaurosis"
- 12/2004 Assistant Medical Director of the Department of Pediatric Neurology and Muscle disorders, University Children’s Hospital
- 05/2006 Professor of Pediatrics, University of Freiburg
- 2007 Appointment as Adjunct Professor for the Department of Pediatrics, University of North Carolina, USA
- 2010 Appointment as Chief Medical Director (W3 Professor) of the Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine – General Pediatrics, University Hospital Muenster
Clinical Postgraduate Education
- 2006 Pediatric Neurology
- 2008 Children's Endocrinology and Diabetology
- 2009 Children´s Pneumology
Memberships in Scientific Organisations
- American Society for Human Genetics (ASHG)
- German Society of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine (DGKJ)
- German Society for Clinical Neurophysiology and Functional Imaging (DGKN)
- German Society for Neuro-Pediatrics (GNP)
- Working Association for Pediatric Nephrology (GPN)
- European Kidney Research Association (EKRA)
- International Pediatric Nephrology Association (IPNA)
- Member of the German Academy of Sciences Leopoldina
- 1999 Else Kröner Fresenius Award
- 2001 Award of the European Renal Association for "Mapping of the human adolescent nephronophthisis gene locus and demonstration of synteny to the pcy mouse model"
- 2002 Friedrich-Linneweh-Award
- Young Investigator Award of the European Society of Human Genetics for "Mutations in DNAH5 cause primary ciliary dyskinesia and randomization of left-right asymmetry"
- 2004 Frank Majewski Award
- 2006 Manes Kartagener Award
- 2007 Johannes Wenner Award
- 2015 Eva Luise Köhler Award
Expert Review Activities
- Selected journals: Nature Genetics; Nature; Science; Nature Medicine; Nature Cell Biology; Neuron; American Journal of Human Genetics; Annals of Neurology; American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine; Journal of Cell Biology; Proceedings of the National Academy of Science
- Advisor in: Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (Germany); INSERM (France), Telethon (Italy), Uitzicht (Netherlands), Wellcome Trust (UK)
- Expert advisor of the Human Genome Nomenclature Committee (HGNC)
Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, General Pediatrics.
University Hospital Muenster:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home