University Hospital Muenster
Department of General and Tumor Orthopedics (113881)
Specialized in: general and tumor orthopedics
The Department of General and Tumor Orthopedics at the University Hospital Muenster is Univ.-Prof. Dr. med. Georg Gosheger, specialist in orthopedics, traumatology and special orthopedic surgery. Moreover, Univ.-Prof. Dr. med. Georg Gosheger has a special qualification in tumor endoprosthetics.
The Department of General and Tumor Orthopedics at the University Hospital Muenster ranks among the largest university hospitals of Germany. Here is provided conservative and surgical treatment of diseases of the musculoskeletal system on both outpatient and inpatient basis. The Department under the direction of Prof. Dr. med. Georg Gosheger is one of the largest centers for the treatment of bone and soft tissue tumors, therefore, patients with these diseases come here from far off.
The Department of General and Tumor Orthopedics at the University Hospital Muenster consists of a variety of units and sections, which comprise the following focuses: spine orthopedics, endoprosthetics and sports orthopedics /arthroscopy/shoulder surgery, pediatric orthopedics, reconstructive surgery for deformities and foot surgery.
An intensive clinical and theoretical research activity of the Department of General and Tumor Orthopedics contributes to the development (even patenting) of the innovative prosthetic systems in the Department. For the patients of the University Hospital Muenster it means less surgery, less risk and a higher quality of life. Thus, the Department of General and Tumor Orthopedics under the direction of Univ.-Prof. Dr. med. Georg Gosheger has a worldwide excellent reputation in tumor orthopedics.
The main focuses of the Department of Tumor Orthopedics, Revision Surgery and Technical Orthopedics are:
- Resection of malignancies of the whole bony skeleton
- Tumor endoprosthetics
- Biological reconstruction method
- Treatment of bone metastases
- Treatment of soft tissue malignancies
- Treatment of benign tumors of bones and soft tissues
- Amputation surgery and operations to improve the quality of the residual limb
- Diabetic foot treatment
- Treatment of Charcot foot (neuroosteoarthropathy)
- Counseling and prescription of orthopedic aids (prostheses, orthoses, orthopedic footwear)
The main focuses of spine orthopedics:
- All diseases related to wear and tear of the cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine
- Surgery to correct spine curvatures (scoliosis)
- Reconstruction surgery, e.g. in case of Bekhterev’s disease
- Surgical treatment of spine tumors (primary and metastasizing growths)
- Surgical treatment of spine inflammations (spondilodiscitis)
- Surgical treatment of vertebral fractures
- Muenster, Germany