University Hospital Muenster
Department of Clinical and Surgical Andrology (113885)
Specialized in: clinical and surgical andrology
About the department
The chief physician of the Department of Clinical and Surgical Andrology, Prof. Dr. med. Sabine Kliesch, is a specialist in urology, andrology and tumor medication. Mrs. Prof. Dr. med. Sabine Kliesch is a member of the board of directors of the leading professional associations (e.g. the German Society of Urology).
The Department of Clinical and Surgical Andrology is part of the Center for Reproductive Medicine and Andrology at the University Hospital Muenster. Andrology deals with the treatment and research of disorders of the reproductive capacity and hormone production in men.
The Department specializes in male infertility, delayed sexual development, aging changes in men, production and effects of testosterone, erectile dysfunction and male contraception.
In cooperation with the Department of Gynecology at the University Hospital Muenster the Department under the direction of Prof. Dr. med. Sabine Kliesch treats couples with infertility within the university Fertility Center Münster (UniKiM).
The Department under the direction of Prof. Dr. med. Sabine Kliesch has all modern diagnostic and therapeutic opportunities in the field of andrology, including surgical treatment of disorders of the reproductive function and erectile dysfunction.
Both internal and external quality control of the German Society of Andrology (QuaDeGA) was initiated already in early 2001. The specialists of the Department carry out regular interlaboratory tests for the German Society of Andrology. The laboratories from Germany, Australia and Switzerland are involved in these tests on a voluntary basis (up to now). Since September 2011, the Department of Clinical and Surgical Andrology at the University Hospital Muenster has been recognized to be an organization of the Federal Medical Association (BÄK) for BÄK interlaboratory tests in ejaculate diagnosis.
The Department of Clinical and Surgical Andrology under the direction of Prof. Dr. med. Sabine Kliesch offers the following medical services:
- Diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the reproductive function
- Disorders of natural fertilization
- Disorders of sperm cell production and maturation
- Varicocele (varicose veins in the testicles)
- Maldeszensus testis (undescended testicle)
- Genital infections
- Spermatocele (epidydimal cyst)
- Diagnosis and treatment of testicular diseases
- Maldeszensus testis (undescended testicle)
- Testicular tumors
- Klinefelter syndrome
- Sperm cryopreservation for fertility preservation
- Testicular intraepithelial neoplasia
- Diagnosis and treatment of hormonal disorders
- Testosterone deficiency (hypogonadism)
- Age-related hypogonadism
- Delayed puberty (Pubertas tarda)
- Gynecomastia (breast development in men)
- Underactive pituitary gland and hypothalamus
- Androgen insensitivity syndrome
- Diagnosis and treatment of erectile dysfunction
- Erectile dysfunction
- Curvature of the penis
- Secondary erectile dysfunction after surgery (e.g. radical removal of the prostate (prostatectomy))
- Diagnosis and treatment of disorders of sexual preference
- Diagnosis and treatment of aging men
- Diagnosis and treatment of delayed puberty
- Diagnosis and treatment in the field of in vitro fertilization (reproduction)
- Surgical andrology
- Reproductive function restoration
- Microsurgical operations
- Testicular sperm extraction
- Epidydimal sperm aspiration
- Inguinal orchidectomy (removal of the testicles)
- Varicocele ligation
- Treatment of curvature in case of penile induration (e.g. Nesbit operation)
- Implantation of testicular prostheses
- Corpus cavernosum prosthesis
- 1984 – 1991 Study of Human Medicine, University of Muenster.
- 1991 3rd State Examination.
- 1991 Approbation to work as medical intern.
- 1993 Approbation to work as medical doctor.
- 1991 – 1994 Research Associate at the Institute of Reproductive Medicine, University of Muenster, WHO Collaborating Center for the Study of Human Fertility.
- From 2001 Research Associate at the Department of Urology (Head: Univ.-Prof. Dr. L. Hertle).
- 2006 – 2008 Senior Physician of the Department of Urology, Leading Senior Physician of the Department of Urology, University Hospital Muenster.
- Since 2008, Head of the Department of Clinical and Surgical Oncology, University Hospital Muenster.
- 1997 Clinical Andrologist of the European Academy of Andrology (EAA) (Salzburg).
- 2000 Board certification in Urology (Medical Chamber Westfalen Lippe, Muenster).
- 2006 Additional qualification for Andrology (Medical Chamber Westfalen Lippe, Muenster).
- 1991 Graduation to Doctor of Medicine (Magna cum laude) at the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Muenster. Thesis: "The influence of LH and/or FSH on spermatogenesis and morphology of Leydig and Sertoli cells after hypophysectomy in the Djungarian hamster, Phodopus sungorus pallas".
- 2001 Habilitation with the Thesis "Studies on disorders of spermatogenesis in men" and Venia Legendi for the field of Urology at the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Muenster
- 2006 Appointment as Visiting Professor by the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Münster.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- 1990 – 2003 Society of Medical Education (1992 – 1996 Secretary).
- Since 1996, Association of Medical Education in Europe.
- Since 1991 – 2002, German Society of Endocrinology.
- Since 1993, German Society of Andrology.
- Since 1994, European Academy of Andrology.
- Since 1995, German Society of Urology (DGU).
- 1996 –2004 Task force Operative Techniques, Section Microsurgery of the German Society of Urology.
- 1996 – 1998 Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer.
- Since 1996, German Cancer Society (DKG) and Task Force "Urological Oncology" of the DKG.
- Since 1997 Working group on Testicular Tumors of the Task force "Urological Oncology" of the German Cancer Society and Member of the interdisciplinary "German Testicular Cancer Study Group".
- Since 2001, Member of the European Association for Urology.
- Since 2001, Editor of the communications of the German Society of Urology.
- 2001 – 2004 Member of the Task force "The aging man" of the German Society of Urology.
- Since 2001, Member of the Task force "Andrology" of the German Society of Urology.
- Since 2005 Board Member of the German Society of Andrology (DGA) (Media Officer).
- Ad hoc review activities for the journals Human Reproduction, Urology, Andrologia and Reproductive Medicine and Endocrinology.
- 2006 Reviewer for the German Research Foundation.
- Since 2005, Member of the Advisory Board of the journal Der Urologe.
- Regulation of testicular function.
- Cryopreservation of ejaculate in adolescents and adults with oncological diseases.
- Characterization of spermatogenesis changes in infertile men and patients with testicular tumors.
- Evaluation of prognostic factors for the fertility of testicular sperm in assisted fertilization.
- Sexuality, fertility and endocrinology in testicular tumor patients after completion of oncological therapy.
- Diagnosis and therapy of hypogonadism in men.
- Diagnosis and treatment of erectile dysfunction (primary and secondary erectile dysfunction, Peyronie's disease).
Awards and Prizes
- 1993 Advancement Award of the Association of Sponsors of German Science.
- 1995 Paul-Mellin-Prize of the North Rhine-Westphalia Society of Urology.
- 1997 Best Poster Presentation at the Congress of American Urological Association (AUA).
- 2002 Maximilian Nitze Prize of the German Society of Urology.
- 2003 Nomination as "Recruitment and Documentation Center Muenster" for clinical trials by the Working Association "Urological Oncology" (AUO) of the German Cancer Society (DKG).
Department of Clinical and Surgical Andrology.
University Hospital Muenster:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home