University Hospital Muenster
Department of Ophthalmology (113891)
Specialized in: ophthalmology
About the department
The Department of Ophthalmology at the University Hospital Muenster offers treatment in all fields of conservative and surgical ophthalmology for both outpatients and inpatients. The head of the Department is Prof. Dr. med. Nicole Eter, specialist in ophthalmology. The team of experienced specialists offers an extensive program of ophthalmic surgical treatment with the use of the latest research techniques and therapeutic approaches.
In addition to the clinical activities, the Department of Ophthalmology at the University Hospital Muenster pays a considerable attention to the advanced training and retraining. The Department of Ophthalmology carries out clinical researches of such diseases as diabetic retinopathy and age-related macular degeneration, retinitis pigmentosa, retinopathy of prematurity, inflammations and viral corneal infections. There are also studied mechanisms of retinal dystrophy, early detection of glaucoma and intralamellar keratoplasty.
The Department of Ophthalmology at the University Hospital Muenster has its private eye bank for providing a high-quality donor cornea, if necessary. The eye bank was founded in 1995 due to the considerable financial contributions of Prof. Dr. Franz Josef Bender, former full professor of the Department of Cardiology at the University Hospital Münster. The eye bank of the university Department of Ophthalmology in Münster belongs to the oldest eye banks of Germany.
A professional team of doctors and medical staff under the direction of Prof. Dr. med. Nicole Eter treats various eye diseases. These include:
- Vision impairment (ametropia)
- Graft-versus-host disease (GvHD)
- Eyelid disorders
- Macular diseases (incl.)
- Age-related macular degeneration
- Fabry disease
- Retinal diseases
- Dry eye syndrome
- Diseases of the lachrymal passages
- Eye tumors
- Uveitis (inflammatory eye diseases)
The medical services of the Department of Ophthalmology at the University Hospital Muenster are:
- Diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the eyelids, lachrymal apparatus and orbit
- Diagnosis and treatment of eye muscle disorders, eye movement disorders as well as accommodation and refractive errors of the eye
- Diagnosis and treatment of strabological and neuro-ophthalmological diseases
- Diagnosis and treatment of choroid and retinal diseases
- Diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the vitreous body and globe
- Plastic surgery
- Diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the conjunctiva
- Diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the sclera, cornea, iris and ciliary body
- Diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the lens
- Diagnosis and treatment of eye and eye appendage tumors
- Diagnosis and treatment of glaucoma
- Diagnosis and treatment of the optic nerve and tract
- Diagnosis and treatment of visual impairments and blindness
- Ophthalmologic rehabilitation
- Selection of tools for vision correction
- Laser eye surgery
- 10/1988–11/1994 Study of Human Medicine at the University of Bonn.
- 07/1992 Study abroad: Charing Cross and Westminster Medical School, London, Department of Surgery (Prof. Dr. R. M. Greenhalgh.
- 10/1993–02/1994 Duke University, Durham NC, USA, Department of Surgery (Prof. Dr. David C. Sabiston).
- 11/1994 Third State Examination.
- 12/1994–06/1996 Postgraduate Training at the Department of Ophthalmology, University of Bonn (Prof. Dr. M. Spitznas).
- 06/1996 Full approbation.
- 06/1996–02/1999 Assistant Physician at the Department of Ophthalmology, University of Bonn (Prof. Dr. M. Spitznas).
- 02/1999 Board certification in Ophthalmology.
- From 04/1999 Senior Physician at the Department of Ophthalmology, University of Bonn (Prof. Dr. M. Spitznas).
- From 12/1999 Senior Staff Physician and budget responsibility
- 04/2002 – 12/2002 Leading Senior Physician and Deputy Head, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Bonn (Prof. Dr. M. Spitznas).
- 12/2002 – 10/2003 Provisional Head, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Bonn.
- 04/2002 – 12/2002 Leading Senior Physician and Deputy Head, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Bonn (Prof. Dr. F. G. Holz).
- Since 08/2010 Chairholder and Head of the Department of Ophthalmology at the University Hospital Muenster.
- 02/1995 Doctorate in medicine at the Medical Faculty of the University of Bonn (Note: very good). Thesis: "Immunoreactive inhibin concentrations in early childish testis, ovarian and adrenal tissue", Institute of Clinical Biochemistry, University of Bonn (Prof. Dr. med. D. Klingmüller).
- 10/2002 Habilitation at the Medical Faculty of the University of Bonn. Thesis: "Radiotherapy in the treatment of age-related macular degeneration".
- 11/2007 Extraordinary professorship for Ophthalmology, University of Bonn.
- 08/2010 W3 Professorship with a management function, University of Muenster.
Other Professional Qualifications:
- 11/1997 Qualification as Laser Safety Officer.
- 2001 DEGUM qualification for ultrasound examinations in ophthalmology 2001 Specialization in Laser Surgery in Ophthalmology.
- 2004 Fellow of the European Board of Ophthalmology (FEBO).
- 2004 Technical Knowledge in ocular interventions.
- 2008, 2015 GCP Certification (GCP course for investigators, German Society for Pharmaceutical Medicine (DGPharMed)).
- 2009 Basic course on Good Laboratory Practice (GLP).
- 2015 Advanced course on Medical Products Directive (MPG).
- 2011/2012 Member of the working group "National Strategy Process: Innovations in Medical Technology" of the Federal Ministry of Economics and Technology.
- Since 2012, Examiner of the Medical Chamber Westfalen-Lippe (WL).
- Since 2012, Training Officer of the Medical Chamber Westfalen-Lippe (WL).
- Since 2012, Elected Member of the Board of the Retinological Society.
- Since 2013, Expert on the scientific advisory board of the journal "Der Onkologe".
- Since 2014, Elected member of the Joint Board of the German Ophthalmological Society (DOG).
Awards and Promotions:
- 2001 Best Paper Award Winner, American Society for Retina Specialists.
- 2007 Joint Project Funding of the Bundesministerium für Bildung und Forschung (BMBF) (three years).
- 2008 Research Award of the German Ophthalmological Society.
- 2008 Secundo loco, W3 in Ophthalmology, University Hospital Marburg.
- 2010 Research grant of the German Research Foundation (DFG) in individual application (three years).
- 2010 Primo loco, W3 in Ophthalmology, University Hospital Muenster 2010 Focus List of Top Physicians (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015).
- 2011 Research grant (three years) of the Interdisciplinary Centre for Clinical Research (IZKF).
- 2013 Best Paper Award, Annual Conference of the DOG.
- 2014 Research grant of the IMF.
- Pathophysiology and therapy of age-related macular degeneration.
- High-resolution imaging in pigment epithelial detachments.
- In vivo molecular imaging of retinal structures.
- Antiangiogenesis research in animal models.
- Nanotechnology at the ocular fundus.
- Vitreoretinal surgery.
- Cataract surgery.
- Glaucoma surgery.
- Eyelid and lacrimal duct surgery.
- Eye muscle surgery.
- Laser therapy of the anterior and posterior eye segments.
- Diagnosis and therapy of the anterior and posterior eye segments.
Reviewer for scientific journals:
- Der Ophthalmologe (Editorial Board Member).
- Spektrum der Augenheilkunde (Editorial Board Member).
- Der Onkologe (Advisory Board Member).
- Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences.
- Graefe’s Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology.
- Acta Ophthalmologica.
- Klinische Monatsblätter für Augenheilkunde Ophthalmologica.
- Current Eye Research.
Department of Ophthalmology.
University Hospital Muenster:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home