University Hospital Muenster
Breast Center (113893)
Specialized in: mammology
The Breast Center Muenster is a cooperative university center, which provides interdisciplinary diagnosis in early stages, treatment and care of both male and female patients. There is offered a complex and professional medical care of patients with observance of their autonomy. The Breast Center Muenster provides the entire current spectrum of modern medical services. The chief physician of the Center is Dr. med. Joke Tio, a leading breast surgeon.
The Breast Center Muenster in collaboration with numerous providers of medical services and cooperating partners offers not only comprehensive inpatient treatment, but also outpatient medical care. On July 31, 2005, the Breast Center Münster became a recognized center of a federal state of North Rhine-Westphalia and a member of the Disease-Management-Program.
The operations or frequent examinations in the underarm area are usually made by means of a sparing biopsy (tissue sampling) of the sentinel lymph node (sentinel lymph node biopsy). In most cases, it is possible to perform a breast preserving operation. For such women the University Hospital Muenster offers intraoperative radiation, through which a postoperative radiation period is considerably reduced.
Women with vague changes in their breast can have a consultation with a mammologist. Mammasonography (breast ultrasound) involves state-of-the-art matrix ultrasonic sensors with an excellent image quality. Such innovative technology as contrast agents and 3D sonography expand the range of breast diagnosis. Outpatient minimally invasive diagnostic procedures (needle biopsy, sonography-guided Mammotome®) ensure a rapid diagnosis and allow to avoid an unnecessary surgery in case of benign changes. For the development of individual treatment programs meeting all current recommendations, the University Hospital Muenster holds interdisciplinary conferences in cooperation with the diagnostic radiologists, gynecologists-oncologists, pathologists, therapists in radiation and nuclear medicine.
The range of medical services of the Breast Center under the direction of Dr. med. Joke Tio includes:
- Customized therapy
- Plastic surgery (breast reduction, augmentation, correction, gynecomastia)
- Conservative surgery
- Techniques for sentinel lymph node removal
- Intraoperative radiotherapy (IORT)
- Breast reconstruction (reconstruction surgery with removal can be made in a single session)
- Breast nipple reconstruction (by means of tattoo)
- Anti-hormonal therapy, antibody therapy, chemotherapy
- Innovative methods involving the use of promising substances within the clinical trials
- Radiation therapy within the conservative therapy (e.g. with a deep inspiration in case of a left-sided tumor localization to minimize side effects)
- Postoperative chest radiation therapy
- Extracranial stereotactic radiotherapy (ESRT) for solitary metastases of liver or lungs
- Selective internal radiation therapy (SIRT)
- Intra-arterial chemotherapy and electrochemotherapy
- Clinical social and rehabilitation counseling
- Behavioral and psycho-oncological therapy
University Hospital Muenster
- Muenster, Germany