University Hospital Muenster
Department of Cardiology (113899)
Specialized in: cardiology
About the department
The Department of Cardiology is part of the Center for Heart and Vascular Medicine at the University Hospital Muenster (UHM). The patients with all diseases of the heart, circulatory and vascular system are treated here. The range of treatments covers diagnostic and therapeutic methods of cardiology and angiology, including interventional catheter treatment options for heart and vessels. The chief physician of the Department is Prof. Dr. med. Holger Reinecke.
The Department of Cardiology focuses on interventional catheterization on heart (PCI) and peripheral vessels (PTA); diagnosis and treatment of congenital heart diseases in adults, acquired diseases of the heart valves and all forms of arrhythmias (electrophysiological diagnosis, catheter ablation, pacemaker and defibrillator implantation). The Department has three-dimensional display systems and electrophysiological measuring systems for catheter ablation in case of arrhythmias.
Another important focus is the treatment of heart failure in case of both acute and chronic failure of the heart pumping function. In addition to an optimized medication, there is offered electrostimulation as well as the use of the cardiopulmonary bypass and heart transplant, including a preparation and follow-up program that is realized in a close cooperation with the Department of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery at the University Hospital Muenster.
According to the Focus magazine rating of 2017, the Department of Cardiology at the University Hospital Muenster ranks among the top German departments specializing in the treatment of cardiovascular diseases!
Since this field is quite complicated, the Department of Cardiology under the direction of Prof. Dr. med. Johannes Waltenberger unites different departments, sections and institutes under the same roof:
- Department of Cardiology: It covers the whole field of coronary artery diseases and heart failure (except the resynchronization therapy) and heart transplant. This also includes catheter diagnosis and treatment, internal interventional medicine, non-invasive imaging, ECG Unit, counseling on cardiology and emergency medical care.
- Department of Congenital (EMAH) and Acquired Heart Defects: It provides diagnosis and treatment of congenital heart diseases, acquired valvular heart diseases, rare structural heart diseases, including interventional treatment of heart valve diseases.
- Section of Rhythmology: It provides diagnosis and treatment of cardiac arrhythmia, including electrophysiology and electrosurgery (pacemaker / defibrillator placement / resynchronization therapy).
- Section of Angiology: It provides diagnosis and treatment of angiological diseases.
- Institute of Genetics of Heart Diseases: It provides diagnosis of genetic causes for heart diseases in the family, especially cardiac arrhythmia.
Since February 2018, Head of the Department of Cardiology I (Coronary Heart Disease, Heart Failure and Angiology), University Hospital Münster
- Board certification in Internal Medicine
- Priorities: Angiology, Cardiology
- Other qualifications: Intensive-Care Medicine
- Arterial circulatory disorders
- Venous diseases
- Vascular inflammations
- Peripheral arterial occlusive disease and critical limb ischemia
- "Heart, Vessels and Kidney"
- German Society of Angiology - Society of Vascular Medicine (DGA)
- German Society of Cardiology - Cardiovascular Research (DGK)
- German Interdisciplinary Association for Intensive and Emergency Medicine (DIVI)
- German Society of Internal Medicine (DGIM)
Department of Cardiology.
University Hospital Muenster:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home