University Hospital Muenster
Department of Dermatology and Venereology (113901)
Specialized in: dermatology, venereology
About the department
The Department of General Dermatology and Venereology at the University Hospital Muenster offers the full range of medical focuses in dermatology. The Department ranks among the largest clinics in Germany dealing with the treatment of congenital and acquired skin diseases. The Department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Thomas A. Luger.
A high level of specialization and an intensive cooperation of certain medical fields ensure a comprehensive patient care. The medical team under the direction of Prof. Dr. med. Thomas A. Luger provides medical care on both inpatient and outpatient basis as well as in the day hospital. In April 2010, the Department of Dermatology and Venereology at the University Hospital Muenster was certified by the German Cancer Society (DKG) as the Skin Cancer Center.
The main treatment focuses in Dermatology at the University Hospital Muenster:
- Skin Cancer Center with Photodermatology
- Center of Excellence for Chronic Pruritus (chronic dermatosis, prurigo)
- Vein Center of Excellence
- General dermatology
- Dermatosurgery / phlebosurgery
- Allergology and professional dermatology
- Autoimmune diseases
- Aesthetic dermatology
- Day hospital
- Outpatient treatment of wounds
The spectrum of medical services of the Department of Dermatology and Venereology at the University Hospital Muenster includes:
- Diagnosis and treatment of allergies, e.g. drug, food allergies; allergic and toxic contact eczema, atopic eczema, acute and chronic urticaria, angioedema and systemic mastocytosis.
- Diagnosis and treatment of autoimmune diseases and HIV-related diseases. This group also includes autoimmune dermatoses, musical diseases, such as scleroderma.
- Diagnosis and treatment of bullous dermatoses, such as pemphigus, pemphigoid, Duhring’s disease etc.
- Diagnosis and treatment of skin tumors: a wide range of methods to remove skin tumors or prevention of their manifestations (immune system support, e.g. interferon), chemotherapy (on both outpatient and inpatient basis), extracorporeal photopheresis (ECP), photodynamic therapy.
- Diagnosis and treatment of skin and subcutaneous layer infections, such as erysipelas, cellulitis, infections of the outer skin layer (e.g. herpes simplex, herpes zoster) and skin infections (skin lesions by mites, lice and other arthropods) etc.
- Diagnosis and treatment of diseases of skin appendages, especially diagnosis and treatment of alopecia areata (hair loss in round patches), androgenetic alopecia (caused by hormones / hereditary hair loss).
- Diagnosis and treatment of skin pigmentation disorders, such as Vitiligo (white spot disease)
- Diagnosis and treatment of papulosquamos disorders, psoriasis, herpes (nodular herpes) etc.
- Diagnosis and treatment of urticaria and skin redness (erythema)
- Diagnosis and treatment of other skin and subcutaneous layer diseases, especially diagnosis and treatment of chronic pruritus and prurigo; determination of thickness of skin nerve fibers in case of painful neuropathy, therapeutic recommendations for severe itching in case of dermatological diseases.
- 1985 – 1991 Studies in Medicine at the Universities of Münster and Zürich, Switzerland, Medical Faculties
- 1992 MD thesis, Department of Transfusion Medicine (Prof. N. Müller), University of Münster
- 2001 Habilitation for Dermatology and Venerology, Department of Dermatology (Prof. J. Knop), University Medical Center Mainz, JGU Mainz
- 1992 – 1993 Residency in Dermatology, Department of Dermatology (Prof. T. Luger), University of Münster
- 1993 – 1995 Research Fellow at the Institute for Experimental Dermatology (Profs. C. Sorg and E. Macher), University of Münster
- 1996 – 1997 Research Fellow at the Department of Dermatology, University of Mainz (Prof. J. Knop), supported by a Scholarship from the German Research Council (DFG)
- 1997 – 1999 Residency in Dermatology, JGU Mainz (Prof. J. Knop)
- 1999 Board certification in Dermatology, and of Allergology
- 2006 Board certification in Cancer Therapy
- 2002 Attending Physician, Department of Dermatology, JGU Mainz
- 2009 Chief Attending Physician, Department of Dermatology, JGU Mainz
- 2009 Professorship (W2) for Clinical and Molecular Dermatology, JGU Mainz
- Since August 2018, Head of the Department of Dermatology and Venereology of the University Hospital Muenster
Other Professional Activities
- 2006 – 2009 Member and president (2007 – 2008) of the Executive Board of the Working Association for Research in Dermatology
- 2012 Paul Langerhans Award of the ADF
- 2013 Oscar Gans Award of the German Society of Dermatology
- Since 2013, Member of the Executive Board of the European Society for Investigative Dermatology
Department of Dermatology and Venereology.
University Hospital Muenster:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home