University Hospital Muenster
Department of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery (113905)
Specialized in: vascular and endovascular surgery
About the Department of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery at University Hospital Muenster
The Department of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery at the University Hospital Muenster offers the full range of services in these fields and is one of the largest medical institutions of this kind in Europe. A distinguishing feature of the department is the unique competence in the treatment of especially severe and rare vascular diseases. The department has a modern outpatient operating room, as well as a hybrid operating room, in which the patients are provided with the most effective and sparing treatment, if possible. Depending on the complexity of the surgery, the surgical treatment is carried out either on an inpatient or outpatient basis. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Alexander Oberhuber.
The department's specialists provide treatment to 6,000 outpatients and more than 3,500 inpatients annually. More than 3,500 operations are performed here, as well as about 10,000 imaging examinations per year. The most sparing treatment method is selected for each patient.
The department's physicians are also actively involved in the development of new surgical treatment methods. As early as in 1996, the endoluminal catheter techniques were introduced into the department’s service range, which helped to optimize the treatment of patients with vascular diseases. Surgery and catheter intervention perfectly complement and combine with each other. Thus, the department's surgeons often manage to replace extensive intervention with minimally invasive ones. However, in some cases, the best treatment option is classical surgery.
The department specializes in the treatment of the following vascular pathologies:
- Carotid stenosis
- Aortic aneurysms
- Iliac artery aneurysms
- Popliteal artery aneurysms
- Rare types of aneurysms
- Peripheral artery occlusion (circulatory disorders)
- Venous diseases
- Varicose veins
- Inflammatory venous diseases
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Tumor diseases with vascular lesion (interdisciplinary therapy)
- Injuries with vascular lesions (interdisciplinary therapy)
- Formation of vascular access for dialysis, chemotherapy, etc. (interdisciplinary)
- Other diseases
Diagnostic and therapeutic range of the department includes:
- Diagnostic examinations
- Doppler ultrasound
- Magnetic resonance imaging
- Examination of blood rheological properties and venous occlusion plethysmography
- Colour duplex sonography
- Treadmill ergometry
- CT and MRI angiography
- Digital subtraction angiography
- Therapeutic methods
- Bypass surgery
- Implantation of interponates (vascular lintels)
- Correction in vascular transposition
- Balloon dilatation in stenoses
- Stent implantation
- Implantation of prostheses, stent grafts
- Hybrid interventions
- Creation of a shunt between the right and left femoral artery in combination with percutaneous transluminal angioplasty/iliac artery stenting (extensive operations on the abdominal aorta may be avoided)
- Thromboendarterectomy of the femoral artery in combination with percutaneous transluminal angioplasty/iliac artery stenting (complex bypass surgery may be avoided)
- Treatment of bilateral vascular occlusion during a single operation
- Hybrid Interventions in acute vascular occlusions
- And other hybrid interventions
- Other methods of diagnostics and treatment for vascular diseases
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Alexander Oberhuber
- 07.09.2010 Professional certification in Vascular Surgery.
- 2007 - 2010 Assistant Physician in the Department of Thoracic and Vascular Surgery at the University Hospital Ulm, Surgery Center.
- 2006 - 2007 Assistant Physician, Department of Vascular Surgery, Thüringen-Kliniken Georgius Agricola GmbH (Prof. Hutschenre), training for a Medical Specialist in Vascular Surgery in accordance with the new regulations of continuing education.
- 2004 - 2005 Professional Training in accordance with the new regulations of continuing education, Thüringen-Kliniken Georgius Agricola GmbH (University Hospital Jena), Department of Abdominal Surgery, Department of Vascular Surgery, Department of Emergency Medical Care, Intensive Care and Anesthesiology.
- December 2003 State Examination, Bologna (Italy), admission to medical practice in Italy.
- 2003 Intern, Sterzing Hospital, Italy.
- January 2003 Doctoral thesis defense. Subject: "Study of the effect of the antiproliferative drug rapamycin and phosphodiesterase cyclic nucleotides on neointimal hyperplasia in venous shunting on an animal mouse model", Department of Cardiac Surgery, University of Innsbruck (Austria), Prof. Bonatti.
- 1997 - 2003 Study of Human Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Innsbruck (Austria).
- Since 2007 Experimental researches: study of ischemic perfusion on animal models, MRI examination of carotid artery plaques; clinical examinations: endovascular therapy of aortic abnormalities, injuries of the thoracic organs.
- 2004 - 2007 Development of a retrospective examination in the Department of Vascular Surgery at the Thüringen Kliniken Georgius Agricola gGmbH Saalfeld.
- 2003 Intern of the Sterzing Hospital, publication and preparation of a retrospective clinical examination.
- 2001 - 2003 Research work in the Department of Cardiac Surgery:
- Participation in the creation of a Research Group and creation of an international animal model.
- Study and safe introduction of the microsurgical animal model.
- Development of vascular biological organ model.
- Participation in the planning and determination of the experimental strategy.
- Special histological methods, such as paraffin and frozen blocks, processing tissue samples, histochemical and immunohistochemical staining, as well as monitoring and assessment of the results.
- Approaches to the treatment of neointimal hyperplasia using various techniques for gene transfection (safety level 2).
- Processing of genetically modified organisms in a laboratory with a safety level 2.
- Participation in the planning and construction of a new cardiac surgery laboratory in Innsbruck.
- 2006 Certified Medical Specialist in Sclerotherapy (Austrian Society of Phlebology and Dermatological Angiology).
- 2006 Theoretical bases of the specialty, radiation protection in emergency radiography and intraoperative angiography.
- 2006 Basic and advanced course on duplex ultrasonography of peripheral and extracranial brain vessels.
- 2006 Theoretical bases of the specialty, rescue service in Germany.
- 2005 Basic surgery examination (foederatio medicorum chirurgicorum helvetica).
- 2002 In-depth study of anatomy.
- 2002 Optional training in Plastic Surgery.
- 2002 Specialized course on animal experimentation with Prof. Dietrich (qualification of Animal Research Director, Austria).
- 1997 - 2003 Internship in Brunei, Bolzano, Matera (I), Innsbruck (A).
- 2009 Aortenpreis Award of the German Society of Vascular Surgery.
- 2009 Rene van Dongen Poster Prize of the German Society of Vascular Surgery.
- 2008 Research Scholarship of the Society for Vascular Surgery (Dr. F. Simon Working Group).
- Hans and Blanca Moser Foundation Scholarship for support in the training of Medical Specialists in the treatment of cancer and heart diseases.
Membership in Professional Societies
- Since 2009 European Society for Vascular Surgery (ESVS).
- Since 2008 German Society of Vascular Surgery (DGG).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Münster
Department of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery.
University Hospital Muenster:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.