University Hospital Muenster
Department of Pediatric Rheumatology and Immunology (289951)
Specialized in: pediatric rheumatology, immunology
About the department
The Department of Pediatric Rheumatology and Immunology at the University Hospital Muenster offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment for young patients with impaired immune system function. The department has a special competence in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, autoimmune diseases and immunodeficiency conditions. The department is recognized as the European Reference Centre for Rare Immunodeficiencies, Autoinflammatory and Autoimmune Diseases. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Dirk Föll.
The experienced specialists take care of the health of young patients. They have in their arsenal many modern and effective treatment methods. The department also has excellent laboratory equipment for immunological and cellular biological examinations. The department's medical team is involved in several large research projects, and therefore has access to the very latest developments in its area of specialization.
The treatment of children and adolescents with rheumatic or immunological diseases is mainly provided on an outpatient basis. However, hospitalization may be required in the case of severe pathology course or development of complications. As a medical facility of maximum care, the department has excellent options for both outpatient and inpatient medical care. The high quality of treatment provided in the department confirms the prestigious Ausgezeihnet. FÜR KINDER certification.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of rheumatic diseases
- Juvenile idiopathic arthritis
- Collagenoses (for example, systemic lupus erythematosus)
- Inflammatory lesions of the muscle tissue (for example, juvenile dermatomyositis)
- Vasculitides (inflammatory vascular diseases)
- Diagnostics and treatment of immunodeficiency conditions
- Congenital immunodeficiencies (primary)
- Acquired immunodeficiencies
- Diseases caused by immune dysregulation
- Diagnostics and treatment of autoimmune inflammatory diseases
- Familial Mediterranean fever
- Tumor necrosis factor receptor-associated periodic syndrome
- Cryopyrin-associated periodic syndromes
- Diagnostics and treatment of other diseases
- 04.1998 PhD thesis defense, Faculty of Medicine, University of Göttingen. Subject: "Research on the neurophysiological diagnostics in radiculopathy of the lumbosacral spine".
- 05.2006 Habilitation and Venia Legendi in Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, University of Muenster.
- 10.2008 Appointed an Extraordinary Professor at the University of Muenster.
- 06.2011 W3 Professor (lifelong), University of Muenster.
- 10.2012 Head of the Department of Pediatric Rheumatology and Immunology at the University Hospital Muenster.
- 10.1990 - 06.1997 Study of Medicine at the University of Göttingen (at the same time internships in the United States, New Zealand and Switzerland).
- 09.1992 Preliminary Medical Examination.
- 08.1993 1st State Examination.
- 1995 - 1996 Fritz ter Meer Foundation Scholarship, Leverkusen.
- 03.1996 2nd State Examination.
- 1996 - 1997 Education Grant, Hoechst AG, Frankfurt am Main.
- 05.1997 3rd State Examination.
- 09.1995 1st part of the United States Medical Licensing Examination.
- 03.1996 2nd part of the United States Medical Licensing Examination.
- 12.1998 ECFMG US Examination, Clinical Skills Assessment.
- 01.1999 ECFMG Certification.
- 01.2003 - 04.2003 Research Internship, Department of Immunology and Cell Biology, Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, USA.
- 11 - 12.2005 Internship at the University of California, San Diego, Children's Hospital, Pediatric Gastroenterology, San Diego, USA.
- 01.07.1997 - 14.10.1997 Intern, Department of Pediatric Pulmonology and Allergology, University Hospital Freiburg.
- 15.10.1997 - 14.02.1999 Intern, Department of Pediatrics, Nord Heidberg Hospital, Hamburg.
- 15.02.1999 - 31.12.2005 Assistant Physician, Department of Pediatrics, University Hospital Muenster.
- 10.2005 Board certification in Pediatrics.
- 01.2006 Additional qualification in Pediatric Rheumatology.
- 03.2006 Additional qualification in Pediatric Infectology.
- 08.2007 Additional qualification in Pediatric Gastroenterology.
- 01.01.2006 - 31.05.2011 Senior Physician, Department of Pediatrics, University Hospital Muenster.
- 09.2008 - 12.2009 Acting Head of the Department of General Pediatrics (responsible for research activities and training of medical students).
- Since 06.2011 W3 Professor in Innate Immune Responses, University of Muenster.
- Since 10.2012 Head of the Department of Pediatric Rheumatology and Immunology at the University Hospital Muenster.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Münster
Department of Pediatric Rheumatology and Immunology.
University Hospital Muenster:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.