University Hospital Muenster
Department of Pediatric and Neonatal Surgery (289955)
Specialized in: pediatric and neonatal surgery
About the department
The Department of Pediatric and Neonatal Surgery at the University Hospital Muenster offers the full range of surgical interventions in children of all ages. The department specializes in the surgical treatment of premature babies, correction of congenital malformations, surgery of solid tumors in children, treatment of diseases and malformations of the urinary tract, genitals, etc. In addition, special attention is paid to pediatric traumatology, treatment of thoracic deformities, removal of hemangiomas and vascular malformations. The department is a certified Level I Perinatal Center. The department is headed by a leading pediatric surgeon, Dr. med. Volker Müller.
In addition to the full range of general pediatric surgery (for example, treatment of appendicitis, inguinal and umbilical hernia, intestinal invagination, chronic constipation, etc.), the department's specialists carry out operations to remove solid tumors in all organs (for example, kidneys, liver). Moreover, the department installs catheters for a long-term venous access, which are necessary for chemotherapy. To ensure the highest quality of treatment for children with oncological diseases, there is maintained active collaboration with the specialists in pediatric hematology and oncology. The surgical treatment is the primary therapeutic option in the treatment of such solid tumors as nephroblastoma (Wilms' tumor), neuroblastoma, hepatoblastoma and rhabdomyosarcoma.
The department is also recognized as an interregional Surgery Center for Preterm and Newborn Babies. As a rule, many congenital pathologies can be detected in utero using ultrasound diagnostics. In such cases, the patient is often indicated the surgical treatment, for example, in order to restore esophageal patency. The advanced experience of the department's physicians and the very latest medical innovations contribute to the optimal treatment outcomes and the best possible safety of the patients.
Other important focuses of the department's work are the treatment of vascular anomalies and hemangiomas, pathologies of the urinary tract and male reproductive organs (pediatric urology), correction of thoracic developmental defects, etc. The spectrum of medical services is complemented by pediatric traumatology, which specialists have expert competence and the very latest therapeutic methods.
The diagnostic and therapeutic range of the department includes:
- General pediatric surgery
- Cecal inflammation (appendicitis)
- Inguinal hernia
- Umbilical hernia
- Intestinal invagination
- Chronic constipation
- Surgery for preterm and newborn babies
- Esophageal atresia
- Small intestinal atresia
- Anal atresia
- Congenital diaphragmatic hernia
- Hirschsprung's disease
- Intestinal obstruction due to meconium ileus
- Necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC)
- Vascular malformations and hemangiomas
- Vascular malformations
- Lymphatic malformations
- Venous malformations
- Arteriovenous malformations
- Capillary malformations
- Pediatric urology
- Ureteric stenosis
- Stenosis of the ureteral opening
- Vesicoureteral reflux (VUR)
- Urethral valves
- Bladder exstrophy
- Undescended testicle
- Acute testicular diseases
- Cancer surgery
- Malignant rhabdomyoma
- Thoracic deformities
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic options
Education and Professional Experience
- 1998 - 1999 3rd State Examination in Medicine, Municipal Hospitals Oldenburg (former Academic Teaching Hospital of the University of Gottingen).
- 1993 - 1998 2nd State Examination in Medicine, Philipps University Marburg.
- 1999 - 2001 Intern, Department of Pediatric and Neonatal Surgery at the University Hospital Muenster.
- 2001 - 2007 Assistant Physician, Department of Pediatric and Neonatal Surgery at the University Hospital Muenster.
- 2007 - 2008 Medical Specialist, Department of Pediatric and Neonatal Surgery at the University Hospital Muenster.
- 2008 - 2013 Senior Physician, Department of Pediatric and Neonatal Surgery at the University Hospital Muenster.
- Since 10.2013 Head of the Department of Pediatric and Neonatal Surgery at the University Hospital Muenster; Consultant Pediatric Surgeon.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Münster
Department of Pediatric and Neonatal Surgery.
University Hospital Muenster:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.