University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich
Department of Neurology (114021)
Specialized in: neurology
About the department
The Department of Neurology at the University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich offers the full range of services in this medical field. The department specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of all diseases of the central and peripheral nervous system, for example, stroke, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's disease. To provide comprehensive, individual medical care, the department has a modern Diagnostic Unit, a special Outpatient Clinic, a Stroke Unit with the latest technical equipment and an interdisciplinary Intensive Care Unit. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Bernhard Hemmer.
The department treats about 3,500 inpatients and several thousand outpatients every year. A medical team consisting of 50 competent doctors takes care of their well-being. The modern medical institution combines the highest level of medical knowledge, advanced technical equipment and a pleasant, friendly atmosphere.
The service range of the department includes the diagnosis and treatment of the following diseases:
- Inflammatory diseases of the nervous system
- Autoimmune inflammatory diseases (special focus is on the treatment of multiple sclerosis)
- Guillain-Barre Syndrome
- Myasthenia gravis
- Infectious diseases of the nervous system, including neuroborreliosis
- Other pathologies
- Motor disorders and neurodegenerative diseases
- Hypo- and hyperkinetic motor disorders (for example, Parkinson's disease)
- Restless legs syndrome
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
- Huntington's chorea
- Other diseases
- Neurovascular diseases
- Stroke (cerebral infarction or cerebral hemorrhage)
- Cerebral vein thrombosis
- Inflammatory processes in the vessels
- Cerebral vascular stenosis due to atherosclerosis
- Other diseases
- Neuro-oncological diseases
- Primary brain tumors (for example, gliomas, CNS lymphomas)
- Metastases of other primary tumors
- Diagnosis and treatment of other neurological diseases
The main research focuses of the department:
- Clinical neuroimmunology
- Experimental neuroimmunology
- Pain and somatosensorics
- Diseases of the cerebrovascular system
- Working group on the study of diagnostic and therapeutic methods for pain
- International neurology/neuroinfectology
- Translational neurodegeneration
- Other focuses
- 1984 - 1991 Medical School, University of Freiburg.
- 1992 Doctorate.
- 1991 - 1994 Resident at the Department of Neurology, University of Freiburg.
- 1995 - 1998 Research Fellow at the NINDS, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, USA.
- 1998 - 2001 Resident at the Department of Neurology, University of Marburg.
- 2001 - 2003 Assistant at the Department of Neurology, University of Marburg.
- 2004 - 2007 Associate Professor and Vice Chair of the Department of Neurology, University of Duesseldorf.
- Since 2007 Professor (W3) and Head of the Department of Neurology at the University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich, TU of Munich.
- Since 2010 Vice Dean of the Medical School, TU of Munich
- Since 2007 Primary investigator of several multiple sclerosis treatment trials (in particular, Alemtuzumab, BG12, Atacicept).
- Since 2008 Member of the Executive Advisory Board of the German MS Society.
- Since 2009 Advisory Board Member of several phase II and III trials (in particular, Interferon-beta1b, Siponimod, Daclizumab, Ocrelizumab).
- Since 2009 Scientific Board Member of the German Multiple Sclerosis competence network, Co-Speaker (2009-2012), Speaker (2012-2016), Secretary (Since 2016).
- Since 2012 Scientific Board Member, Munich Cluster of Systems Neurology.
- Since 2012 Member of the Executive Committee of the European congress for the treatment and research in multiple sclerosis (Treasurer (2012 - 2016), Vice President (Since 2016)).
- Since 2017 Executive Board Member, EU Consortium MultipleMS.
Membership in Editorial Boards and Societies
- Since 2009 Advisory Board Member of the Archives of Neurology, Experimental Neurology, Multiple sclerosis Journal.
Awards and Honors
- 1995 - 1997 Scholarship of the German Research Foundation (Postdoctoral Fellowship).
- 1997 - 1998 Fogarty Scholarship, National Institutes of Health, USA.
- 1998 Langheinrich Award.
- 2000 Heisenberg Award of the German research Foundation.
- 2000 Heinrich Pette Award of the German Neurological Society.
- 2013 Sobek Research Prize.
Department of Neurology.
University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical coordinator will contact you within 24 hours and answer all questions that might interest you.
you will receive a reply shortly Home