University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich
Department of Gynecology, Mammology, Obstetrics and Perinatal Medicine (288)
Specialized in: gynecology, mammalogy, obstetrics, perinatal medicine
About the department
According to the Focus magazine of 2017, the Department of Gynecology, Mammology, Obstetrics and Perinatal Medicine at the University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich was included in the rating of the top German departments specializing in breast cancer treatment!
As the center of advanced medicine, the department offers the full range of services in these fields, providing patients with optimal treatment based on the latest scientific achievements and innovative technologies. The scope of the department's tasks includes the diagnosis and treatment of all gynecological diseases, breast pathologies, as well as the management of pregnancy, childbirth, postpartum care for the mother and baby, elimination of fertility problems. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Marion Kiechle.
The department has state-of-the-art equipment for invasive and non-invasive diagnostics, three operating rooms equipped with the latest technology, especially in the field of minimally invasive and robotic surgery, as well as special devices for microsurgery and fetal surgery. A competent medical team, consisting of 18 senior physicians, 25 assistant physicians and medical specialists, obstetricians and specially trained nursing staff, annually provides its services to 5,000 inpatients and 14,000 outpatients.
In addition, the department is equipped with four birth rooms, in which about 2,000 babies are born every year. Each room has a special atmosphere created with the help of specially controlled lighting, music and aromas. Pregnant women can choose the position for delivery themselves, including water birth. The department has a team of nurses, obstetricians and at least one senior physician and two assistant physicians working round the clock. In the immediate vicinity of the delivery rooms is the ultramodern operating room, in which all necessary obstetric operations are performed, including fetal surgery. The Intensive Care Unit for premature babies is also nearby, so doctors are able to provide patients with comprehensive medical care of the highest quality.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer: ultrasound, mammography, biopsy with the use of minimally invasive techniques
- Second opinion in the diagnosis of breast cancer, cancer of the female genitalia
- Genetic counseling and diagnosis for the detection of cancer risk
- Plastic reconstructive surgery after operations to treat breast cancer
- Other services
- Gynecologic endocrinology
- Hormonal therapy
- Irregular menstruation
- Eating disorders
- Other conditions and techniques
- Treatment of breast cancer and other cancers of the female genital organs, for example, ovarian cancer, uterine and cervical cancer, vulvar and vaginal tumors
- Surgical treatment of gynecologic cancers
- Drug therapy for oncological diseases
- Endocrine therapy
- Antibody therapy
- Other types of therapy
- Monitoring of patients with cancer or suspected cancer
- Surgical gynecology (also minimally invasive interventions)
- Urogynecology (diagnosis, medication and surgical treatment)
- Treatment of patients with emergency clinical conditions due to repeated bleeding, bleeding disorders, septic complications, etc.
Obstetrics and Perinatal Medicine
- Management of high-risk pregnancy and care for premature babies (within the interdisciplinary Mother and Child Center)
- Prenatal diagnostics
- High-resolution ultrasound imaging
- Doppler scanning
- Chorionic villus sampling
Umbilical cord puncture
- Biochemical tests
- Other diagnostic methods
- Fetal surgery (one of the few medical institutions in Germany specializing in this kind of surgery)
- Pain management during childbirth
- Intravenous administration of analgesics
- Regional anesthesia (for example, epidural, spinal or pudendal anesthesia)
- Other methods of pain management
- Caesarean section (according to the sparing Misgav Ladach method)
- Obstetric turn
- Premature childbirth prevention (surgical and non-surgical methods)
- Other medical services
Prof. Marion Kiechle is the Head of the Department of Gynecology, Mammology, Obstetrics and Perinatal Medicine at the University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich. In 1986, she was admitted to medical practice, and in 1987 she defended her doctoral thesis in Freiburg. This was followed by the scholarship from the German Research Foundation (1987-1989). At the same time, the doctor worked for one year at the Biomed Cancer Center, Research Center in the USA. After working as Research Fellow and receiving Professorship at the University of Freiburg in 1995, Dr. Kiechle moved to Kiel, where she became Senior Physician in the Department of Gynecology at the University Hospital Kiel (1996 - 2000). Since October 2000, Prof. Kiechle has been Head of the Department of Gynecology, Mammology, Obstetrics and Perinatal Medicine at the University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich. In addition, Prof. Kiechle is the Board Member of the German Society of Gynecology and Obstetrics (DGGG) and holds the position of Extraordinary Professor at the University of Kiel. From March to November 2018, Prof. Kiechle worked as Minister of Science and Arts in the Federal State of Bavaria.
Research activities of Dr. Kiechle are focused on Gynecologic Oncology, with particular emphasis on hereditary cancers in women and the determination of individual purposes for cancer therapy. Clinical examinations are also devoted to the diagnostics, therapy and prevention of gynecologic cancers.
In addition, Prof. Marion Kiechle received many awards and honors, including the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany (2007), the Schmidt-Mathiessen Award of the Working Group on Gynecologic Oncology of the German Society for Gynecology and Obstetrics (1998). In 2002, she was appointed as Deputy Сhairwoman of the Central Ethics Committee for Stem Cell Research under the German Federal Government, and in 2001 she was appointed as Сhairwoman of the Bioethics Commission of the Federal State of Bavaria.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Klinikum rechts der Isar der Technischen Universität München
Department of Gynecology, Mammology, Obstetrics and Perinatal Medicine.
University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.