University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich
Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology (290)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric otolaryngology
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology at the University Hospital Recht der Isar Munich offers the full range of services in this medical field. Tha main clinical focuses of the department include the diagnosis and treatment of hearing impairment, cochlear implantation, salivary gland and thyroid surgery, treatment of diseases of the oral cavity, pharynx and larynx. In addition, the department has an Ambulatory for Phoniatrics and Hearing Disorders in Children, as well as the Sleep Laboratory. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Barbara Wollenberg.
To provide comprehensive treatment, the department has at its disposal 50 beds, four modern operating rooms and a Sleep Laboratory. It serves more than 3,000 inpatients and 28,000 outpatients every year. The experienced team of doctors of the department has a deep knowledge in its specialization and professionally copes even with the most severe clinical cases. Also, the specialists of the department are engaged in active research activities aimed at optimizing diagnostic and treatment methods in the field of hearing loss, voice, swallowing, sleep disorders, head and neck surgery.
The range of medical services of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of head and neck tumors
- Nose and paranasal sinus malignancies
- Ear malignancies
- Facial malignancies
- Salivary gland malignancies
- Malignancies of the oral cavity and lips
- Throat malignancies
- Laryngeal malignancies
- Endoscopic endonasal and open surgery of the nose and paranasal sinuses
- All surgical interventions for the treatment of salivary gland tumors
- Laser surgery and open partial laryngeal resection
- Total laryngeal resection (laryngectomy)
- Tumor removal with access through the throat (median and lateral pharyngotomy)
- Radiofrequency surgery
- Tumor removal by temporary splitting of the lower jaw
- Reconstructive surgery (flap surgery)
- Interdisciplinary treatment in collaboration with the specialists in ophthalmology, maxillofacial surgery and neurosurgery
- Diagnostics and treatment of hearing loss in adults and children
- Cochlear implantation
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the nose and paranasal sinuses
- Nasal congestion
- Chronic sinusitis with and without polyps
- Complications of acute sinusitis with lesion of the orbit and/or brain
- Lacrimal duct stenosis
- Inverted papilloma
- Benign tumors (osteoma, cyst)
- Paranasal sinus malignancies
- Nasal septum straightening
- Nasal concha reduction
- Endoscopic endonasal surgery of the paranasal sinuses
- Computer-assisted surgery of the paranasal sinuses
- Interventions on the nasolacrimal duct
- Open surgical intervention
- Combined operations with the participation of specialists in ophthalmology and neurosurgery
- Salivary gland surgery
- Benign and malignant tumors of the salivary glands
- Infectious diseases of large and small salivary glands
- Salivary gland stones (sialolithiasis)
- Cystic diseases of the salivary glands
- Autoimmune diseases (Sjögren syndrome, sarcoidosis, IgG4-associated disease)
- Minimally invasive salivary gland endoscopy
- Surgical removal of salivary gland stones
- Intraoperative facial nerve monitoring
- All methods of salivary gland removal (submandibulectomy, enucleation, extracapsular dissection, lateral/total/radical parotidectomy)
- Facial nerve reconstruction using transplantation of nerve endings, dynamic and static plastic surgery
- Thyroid surgery
- Diagnostics and treatment of sleep disorders (within the inhouse Sleep Laboratory)
- Diagnostics and treatment of voice disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of swallowing disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of allergic reactions
- Sneezing attacks
- Runny nose
- Swelling and itching of the lips and oral mucosa
- Diagnostics and treatment of angioedema
- Intravenous therapy with C1 inhibitor concentrates (Berinert P®)
- Subcutaneous administration of bradykinin receptor antagonist Icatibant (Firazyr®)
- Diagnostics and treatment of balance disorders
- Special trainings for the improvement vestibular apparatus functioning (on an outpatient and inpatient basis)
- Infusion therapy
- Tympanostomy tube installation
- Intratympanic cortisone injection
- Intratympanic gentamicin injection
- Intratympanic labyrinth anesthesia
- Plastic and aesthetic surgery
- Congenital and acquired nasal defects
- Protruding ears
- Defects in the head and neck after tumor removal or accidents
- Functional rhinoplasty (septorhinoplasty)
- Reconstruction of defects using flap surgery (local and rotation flaps)
- Reconstruction of defects using free tissue grafts
- Reconstruction in facial paralysis (for example, nerve transplantation, dynamic and static plastic surgery)
- Eyelid surgery and wrinkle treatment
- Other medical services
Higher Education and Professional Career
- Since 2003 C4 Professor of Otolaryngology, University Medical Center Schleswig-Holstein, Campus Lübeck.
- 2001 - 2003 Heisenberg Scholarship of the German Research Foundation, Helmholtz Centre.
- 1999 Habilitation, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 1990 Doctoral thesis defense, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 1989 - 2000 Physician in the Department of Otolaryngology, Grosshadern Hospital at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 1982 - 1988 Study of Human Medicine, Saarland University and Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
Memberships in Professional Societies and Organizations
- Since 2017 Deputy President of the German Society of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, Head and Neck Surgery.
- 2014 Member of the Research Perspectives Committee of the German Research Foundation (DFG).
- 2013 Board Member of the German Research Foundation (DFG), Representative in Surgery.
- 2013 Council Member of the Clinical Research Questions of the German Research Foundation (DFG).
- 2009 - 2014 Expert at the German Research Foundation (DFG) for the German Society of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, Head and Neck Surgery.
- 2006 -2014 Member of the Advisory Board and Scientific Committee of the Leibniz Research Institute, Borstel.
- 2003 - 2011 Deputy Dean of the Faculty of Medicine, University of Lübeck.
- Development of immunological treatment methods.
- Signal transduction via Toll-like receptors in tumors.
- Apoptosis and release of cytokines by tumors, tumor stem cells.
Awards and Honorary Memberships
- Since 2015 Member of the German National Academy of Sciences Leopoldina.
- 2004 Georg Heberer Prize for Research in Oncology, Munich.
- 2001 Monika Kutzner Prize for Research in Oncology of the Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences.
- 1999 Anton von Troeltsch Prize of the German Society of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, Head and Neck Surgery.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Klinikum rechts der Isar der Technischen Universität München
Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology.
University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.