University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Endocrinology, Diabetology and Infectology (292)
Roland M. Schmid
Specialized in: gastroenterology, endocrinology
The Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Endocrinology, Diabetology and Infectology at the University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich offers the full range of services in these medical fields. The specialists of the department have a unique experience in treatment of liver, bile duct and pancreatic diseases, cancers, as well as in the field of complex endoscopic interventions. The department has long traditions in conducting patient-oriented clinical trials, and therefore successfully integrates modern scientific advances into everyday clinical practice. If desired, patients can participate in clinical trials benefiting from the use of the innovative therapeutic procedures. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Roland M. Schmid.
The department treats more than 5,000 inpatients and about 15,000 outpatients every year. In the field of diagnostics, various modern endoscopic and sonographic (ultrasound) examinations are offered here, as well as all relevant gastroenterological and endocrinological functional studies.
The research activities focus on fundamental research on the molecular basis of the pathogenesis of diseases of the gastrointestinal organs. Particular attention is paid to the study of cancer development, acute and chronic inflammatory diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
- General gastroenterology: diagnosis, conservative therapy and prevention of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract
- Gastrointestinal oncology: diagnosis, treatment and follow-up of patients with gastrointestinal cancers
- Hepatology: diagnosis and treatment of chronic viral hepatitis, metabolic and autoimmune disorders of the liver and bile ducts, cirrhosis
- Endocrinology: diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the pituitary gland, adrenal glands, thyroid, parathyroid glands, gonads (ovaries and testes), as well as lipid metabolism disorders, metabolic bone disorders, rare neuroendocrine tumors
- Diabetology: diagnosis and treatment of diabetes mellitus, gestational diabetes, pancreatic diseases, metabolic syndrome
- Infectology: diagnosis and treatment of patients with diseases caused by bacterial, viral and parasitic agents, fungi, HIV infection and other immune system dysfunctions
- Internal intensive care: the focus is on the treatment of multiple organ failure, especially in the fields of gastroenterology, hepatology and infectious diseases (sepsis)
- Munich, Germany