University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich
Department of Human Genetics (458684)
Specialized in: human genetics
About the department
The Department of Human Genetics at the University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich offers the full range of services in this medical field. The department specializes in studying the human genome, identifying changes in genes and applying the results obtained in the provision of medical care. Particular attention is paid to the molecular diagnostics of genetically caused rare diseases. In addition, the scope of the department's tasks includes comprehensive counseling on all issues of human genetics. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Thomas Meitinger.
The medical team of the department consists of ten doctors and more than twenty research fellows. In addition to conventional clinical studies, the department examines the molecular and cellular causes of various rare diseases. Also, the department has several research groups, which carry out successful scientific work to identify the causes of various diseases and study possible methods of treating these pathologies.
The department provides more than 600 consultations on human genetics and about 2,000 molecular genetic and cytogenetic studies every year. The diagnosis in the Laboratory for Cytogenetics and Molecular Genetics is based on the sampling and study of blood samples, tissues, amniotic fluid, chorionic villi, cord blood, fibroblasts and other nuclear chromosomal material.
The service range of the department includes:
- Genetic counseling
- Genetic family counseling (prenatal genetic diagnosis)
- Individual counseling (allows to identify risk factors for the development of a certain disease and start early therapy)
- Amniocentesis (specific amniotic fluid testing)
- Chorionic villus sampling
- Creation of a genealogical tree covering the last three generations
- Other medical services
- 1973 - 1981 Study of Biology at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 1978 - 1982 Study of Medicine at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 1981 Diploma in Biology.
- 1981 Research Fellow, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Physiological Chemistry.
- 1982 Final year student, University of Johannesburg, Baragwanath Hospital.
- 1983 Doctor of Medicine.
- 1993 Board Certification for Medical Genetics.
Academic Positions and Appointments
- Since 2000, Full Professor (C4), Technical University of Munich.
- Head of the Department of Human Genetics, University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich.
- Head of the Institute of Human Genetics, Helmholtz Zentrum Munich.
- 1988 - 2000 Head of the Laboratory for Molecular Genetics, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Department of Medical Genetics (J. Murken).
- 1985 - 1988 Research Fellow of the German Research Foundation, Laboratory for Genetics, University of Oxford (J. Edwards).
- 1984 - 1985 Assistant Physician, Department of Pediatric Surgery, Karlsruhe (W. Maier).
Research Project Coordination
- Since 2008, Coordinator of SysMBo Project (Biology Systems of Metabotypes).
- Since 2009, Coordinator of mitoNET Project (German Network for Mitochondrial Disorders).
Membership in Editorial Boards
- 1988 - 2002 Scientific Programme Committee, European Society of Human Genetics.
- 1999 - 2004 Scientific Board, Telethon Foundation, Italy.
- 1999 - 2004 Scientific Coordination Committee, German Human Genome Project (DHGP).
- 1999 - 2009 Scientific Board, Max Delbrück Centre Berlin.
- 2003 - 2007 Scientific Board, Institute of Genetic Medicine, Bolzano (EURAC).
- Since 2008, Scientific Board, European Genetics Foundation, Bologna.
Awards and Honors
- 1985 - 1988 Scholarship of the German Research Foundation (DFG).
- 1995 Retinitis Pigmentosa, Award of the Pro Retina Deutschland e. V.
Department of Human Genetics.
University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home