University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich
Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Neuroradiology (590763)
Specialized in: diagnostic and interventional neuroradiology
About the department
The Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Neuroradiology at the University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich offers all the options of imaging diagnostics and minimally invasive treatment of diseases of the brain and spinal cord. One of the priority focuses is the detection and treatment of neurovascular pathologies such as acute stroke, cerebral aneurysm, vascular malformations/arteriovenous malformations. Medical care is provided around the clock. The department has advanced technological base, which, in combination with the high competence of doctors, forms a solid basis for the first-class medical service. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Claus Zimmer.
Diagnostic neuroradiology deals with the detection of all diseases of the brain and spine using modern imaging techniques (MRI, CT, angiography, etc.). Also, the doctors can examine the functional activities of the brain using cutting-edge diagnostic equipment. Neuroradiological diagnostics allows for the detection of such pathologies as stroke, cerebral hemorrhage, inflammatory brain diseases (for example, multiple sclerosis), dizziness, headaches, brain tumors, head injuries, motor disorders (for example, Parkinson's disease), dementia, spinal diseases (for example, spinal disc herniation) and many others.
The therapeutic spectrum covers catheter-assisted minimally invasive treatment of cerebrovascular diseases, brain and spinal tumors. The treatment is carried out in close cooperation with experts from related fields, for example, neurologists, neurosurgeons, ophthalmologists, otolaryngologists, maxillofacial surgeons, etc. Any therapeutic procedure is carefully planned based on the results of diagnostics and individual clinical indications.
The diagnostic and therapeutic spectrum of the department includes:
- Diagnostic services
- Computed tomography (CT)
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Digital subtraction angiography
- Functional imaging of the brain
- MR spectroscopy
- MRI/CT perfusion imaging
- Diffusion tensor magnetic resonance imaging
- MR angiography
- Dental MRI
- Therapeutic services
- Treatment of acute stroke, including stroke prevention
- Embolization of intracranial aneurysms using platinum spirals, bioactive implants and stents
- Treatment of intracranial and spinal arteriovenous malformations, dural arteriovenous fistulas
- Therapeutic and preoperative tumor embolization
- Embolization of craniofacial hemangiomas in the head and neck
- Pain therapy in spinal pains
- Facet joint block
- Periradicular therapy
- Other medical services
Education and Professional Career
- 1980 - 1986 Study of Human Medicine at the Ruhr-University Bochum and at the Free University of Berlin.
- 1987 Admission to medical practice.
- 1988 Doctoral thesis defense.
- 1987 - 1991 Training in Neuropathology, Steglitz Hospital, Free University of Berlin.
- 1991 - 1994 Training in Neuroradiology, Justus Liebig University Giessen.
- 1994 - 1996 Research Fellow, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts (Massachusetts General Hospital).
- 1996 - 1999 Training in Neurology and Radiology, Charite University Hospital Berlin.
- 1999 Board сertification in Diagnostic Radiology, Senior Physician and Deputy Head of the Department of Neuroradiology, Charite University Hospital Berlin.
- 2000 Specialization in Neuroradiology.
- 2001 Habilitation in Neuroradiology, Humboldt University Berlin (Charite).
- 2002 - 2003 Acting Head of the Department of Neuroradiology at the Charite University Hospital Berlin.
- 2003 - 2005 Invitation to the position of Professor of Neuroradiology and Head of the Department of Neuroradiology at the University Hospital Leipzig.
- 2005 Invitation to the position of Professor of Neuroradiology in Charite (refusal).
- Since 01.08.2005 Invitation to the position of Professor of Neuroradiology at the Technical University of Munich and Head of the Department of Neuroradiology at the University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich.
- Since 2008 Master in Neuroradiology (European level).
- 1996, 2005 Kurt Decker Prize of the German Society of Neuroradiology.
- 2005 Springer Prize of the European Society of Neuroradiology (in collaboration with A. Förschler).
- 2003 Scientific Prize of the University of Leipzig for Outstanding Scientific Achievements in Medicine and Biological Sciences.
Membership in Professional Societies
- German Society for Neuropathology.
- Radiological Society of North America.
- German Neuroscience Society.
- German Society of Neuroradiology.
- Association for Neuro-Oncology of the German Cancer Society.
- World Molecular Imaging Society.
- German Radiological Society.
- European Society of Neuroradiology.
Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Neuroradiology.
University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home