Open endarterectomy or angioplasty of lower extremity arterial disease diabetes foot syndrome (program ID: 178137)
University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich
Hans-Henning EcksteinSpecialized in: adult and pediatric vascular, endovascular surgery
Department of Adult and Pediatric Vascular, Endovascular Surgery
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- physical examination
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- biochemical analysis of blood
- Lipid metabolism (HDL/LDL, cholesterol,
triglycerides Lip(a), homocysteine)
- blood coagulation analysis (aPTT, PT, INR)
- inflammation indicators (CRP, ESR)
- metabolic status (uric acid, total glucose, HbA1c)
- cardiovascular disease risk markers
- kidney function test (creatinine, urea)
- doppler/ duplex receptacles of lower extremities
- angio-MRI from aorta and of lower extremities
- duplex peripheral arteries
- preoperative care
- open endarterectomy or angeoplasty
- daily wound care
- blood transfusions (if needed)
- symptomatic treatment
- control examinations
- the cost of essential medicines and materials
- nursing services
- full hospital accommodation
- developing of further guidance
- Medical records
- X-ray examination (if available)
You may also book
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Vascular, Endovascular Surgery at the University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich offers the full range of classical and endovascular surgical interventions on the blood vessels. The department specializes in the treatment of patients with acute and chronic diseases of the arteries and veins, circulation disorders in the extremities, pathological changes in the carotid arteries, venous diseases and other pathologies. The patients' health is in the safe hands of a competent team of doctors and nursing staff. Surgeries and interventional procedures on the blood vessels are performed in well-equipped operating rooms that meet current hygiene and safety requirements. The department has 38 beds. The department's medical team annually admits more than 1,400 inpatients and about 7,000 outpatients. The department has been carrying out successful clinical activities for over 25 years and during this time has gained a reputation of one of the best medical facilities of this kind in Germany. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Hans-Henning Eckstein.
To improve the effectiveness of treatment, the department has been operating an ultramodern hybrid operating room since 2012, in which open and endovascular interventions are performed with the use of a high-resolution angiography system and under the guidance of other imaging devices. This is especially important when performing endovascular operations for the treatment of aortic diseases, coronary artery bypass grafting and primary endovascular interventions. The treatment is provided in accordance with national and international guidelines.
The department's vascular surgeons often perform abdominal aortic aneurysms. As a rule, the disease is asymptomatic at the early stages. With the progression and the absence of timely treatment, aortic rupture often occurs, which can be fatal. In some cases, the department's doctors recommend not to take any therapeutic measures, but to undergo regular diagnostic examinations in order to monitor the condition of the aneurysm. If the patient still needs a surgical intervention, then the most effective type of surgery is determined based on his medical history and general health condition, namely open or endovascular one. In the first case, laparotomy is required, which entails serious surgical risks. When performing the endovascular intervention, surgeons make only two small skin incisions in the groin, thereby significantly reducing the load on the heart, and postoperative recovery becomes faster.
Another common diagnosis in the department's clinical practice is carotid artery stenosis. In the case of this pathology, the patient also has no symptoms, therefore, it is most often diagnosed by chance, during the diagnostics for other reasons. An ultrasound scan is sufficient to confirm the diagnosis. The pathology several times increases the risk of stroke, which can lead to disability or death. The department's specialists offer two treatment options for carotid artery stenosis – carotid endarterectomy and stent implantation. Both operations can be performed using minimally invasive techniques, which is of great benefit to patients. The doctor determines the optimal type of surgical intervention based on the stage of the pathology and the patient's general health condition.
The department provides effective treatment of occlusive peripheral arterial disease and varicose veins, as well as performs procedures for dialysis access formation. Preference is always given to operations using endovascular and hybrid surgical techniques. Open surgery is the last-line treatment.
The department's range of medical services includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of abdominal aortic aneurysm
- Diagnostics and treatment of carotid artery stenosis
- Diagnostics and treatment of occlusive peripheral arterial disease
- Diagnostics and treatment of arterial embolism, thrombosis
- Diagnostics and treatment of varicose veins
- Diagnostics and treatment of deep vein thrombosis of the lower extremities and pelvis
- Diagnostics and treatment of blood circulation disorders in the kidneys and intestines
- Diagnostics and treatment of vascular diseases and vascular malformations in children
- Diagnostics and treatment of vascular compression syndromes
- Formation of shunts in patients requiring dialysis
- Other medical services
University Education and Professional Career
- 1980 - 1985 Study of Medicine at the Ruprecht Karl University of Heidelberg.
- 1986 Doctoral thesis defense at the Ruprecht Karl University of Heidelberg.
- 1993 Board certification in Surgery.
- 1995 Specialization in Vascular Surgery.
- 1996 Senior Physician, Section of Vascular Surgery, Department of Surgery at the University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 1997 Qualification of the European Board for Vascular Surgery.
- 1998 Habilitation in Surgery, Ruprecht Karl University of Heidelberg.
- 1999 Theoretical foundations in Phlebology.
- 1999 - 2003 Head of the Department of Vascular Surgery at the Ludwigsburg Hospital.
- 2004 Representative of the Vascular Surgery Center at the University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich.
- 2005 Appointed to the Ethics Committee of the Faculty of Medicine of the Technical University of Munich.
- Since 2006 Member of the Commission for Guidelines of the German Neurological Society (DGN), Managing Editor of Vascular Surgery – Journal of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery.
- Since 2009 Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Vascular, Endovascular Surgery at the University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich.
Prizes, Awards and Honors
- 1997 Research Scholarship of the German Society of Vascular Surgery.
- 1999 Alexis Carell Prize of the German Society of Vascular Surgery.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- German Society for Vascular Surgery and Vascular Medicine.
- German Society of Surgery.
- German Society of Angiology.
- German Society of Phlebology.
- German Society of Ultrasound in Medicine.
- European Board of Vascular Surgery.
- European Society for Vascular Surgery.
- Austrian Society for Vascular Surgery (Honorary Member).
- Swiss Society for Vascular Diseases (Honorary Member).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Klinikum rechts der Isar der Technischen Universität München
Accommodation in hospital
- Program [Description]
Open endarterectomy or angioplasty of lower extremity arterial disease diabetes foot syndrome
- Hospital: University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich
There are 69 diabetic foot treatment hospitals on Booking Health websiteShow all clinics