Conservative treatment of ulcerative colitis with endoscopic method (program ID: 179109)
University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich
Roland SchmidSpecialized in: gastroenterology, hepatology, endocrinology, infectology
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Endocrinology and Infectology
The program includes:
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- review of medical records
- physical examination
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- biochemical analysis of blood
- inflammation indicators
- indicators blood coagulation
- abdominal ultrasound
- colonoscopy, sigmoidoscopy with biopsy
- conservative treatment with:
- anti-inflammatory agents such as 5-ASA
- systemic corticosteroids
- topical corticosteroids
- symptomatic treatment
- control examinations
- cost of essential medicines and materials
- nursing services
- full hospital accommodation
- explanation of future recommendations
- Medical records
- Colonoscopy (if available)
You may also book:
About the department
The Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Endocrinology and Infectology at the University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich offers prevention, diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, liver, endocrine glands and infectious pathologies. The department's specialists have unique experience in the treatment of malignant diseases of the digestive system. In addition, the department's gastroenterologists successfully perform the full range of modern endoscopic procedures for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes. The department is annually visited by about 15,000 outpatients and more than 5,000 inpatients. The patients' health is in the safe hands of a large medical team consisting of 60 specialized doctors and more than 190 nursing and administrative staff. The specialists of the medical facility strive to provide each patient with the most effective treatment using the very latest and the most reliable therapeutic methods. The Head Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Roland Schmid.
The department's gastroenterologists carry out comprehensive diagnostics and treatment of benign and malignant gastrointestinal pathologies. As a rule, the patients with diseases of this spectrum receive medical care on an outpatient basis. The most common benign pathologies treated in the department include gastritis, gastroesophageal reflux disease, eosinophilic esophagitis, intestinal and esophageal motility disorders, celiac disease and others. At the same time, doctors pay due attention to the patients with suspected cancer of the digestive system. The specialists in this field conduct the full range of diagnostic tests to confirm or exclude cancer diagnosis, prescribe drug therapy for malignant tumors, and also carry out control examinations to assess the results of the therapeutic measures performed. Doctors cooperate closely with oncologists, radiation therapists, surgeons, thereby guaranteeing patients comprehensive medical care.
An equally important area of work of the department's doctors is the diagnostics and treatment of liver diseases. The focus of doctors specializing in these pathologies is on the patients with chronic viral and inflammatory liver diseases, metabolic and autoimmune pathologies of the liver and biliary tract, as well as cirrhosis. In most cases, drug therapy is indicated to such patients. It is prescribed based on the specific clinical case.
The department is quite often visited by patients with endocrine disorders: pathologies of the thyroid and parathyroid glands, adrenal glands, pituitary gland and hypothalamus, testicles and ovaries. In addition, the team of the department's doctors specializes in the treatment of diabetes mellitus (types 1 and 2, gestational diabetes mellitus), hyperlipidemia, bone metabolism disorders and neuroendocrine tumors. The specialists of the medical facility carry out drug therapy of the above mentioned pathologies, and if necessary, endocrine surgeons are involved in the therapeutic process. The patients with diabetes mellitus receive pharmacotherapy with hypoglycemic drugs, insulin therapy, including with the use of an insulin pump.
The range of services provided in the department is complemented by therapy for infectious diseases, including HIV, sexually transmitted diseases, echinococcosis, hepatitis B and C, tropical infections, and other infectious diseases. The department conducts all laboratory tests required for making an accurate diagnosis, after which doctors prescribe the optimal course of treatment.
The department's main clinical focuses include:
- Gastroenterology: diagnostics, conservative therapy and prevention of gastrointestinal diseases, including oncopathology
- Hepatology: diagnostics and treatment of chronic viral hepatitis, metabolic and autoimmune diseases of the liver and biliary tract, cirrhosis
- Endocrinology: diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the pituitary gland, adrenal glands, thyroid gland, parathyroid glands, gonads (ovaries and testicles), as well as lipid metabolism disorders, bone metabolism disorders, rare neuroendocrine tumors, type 1 and 2 diabetes mellitus, gestational diabetes mellitus, pancreatic diseases, metabolic syndrome
- Infectology: diagnostics and treatment of patients with diseases caused by bacterial and viral infections, parasitic agents, fungi, HIV infection and other immune dysfunctions
- Internal intensive care: focuses on the treatment of multiple organ dysfunction syndrome, especially in gastroenterology, hepatology and infectious diseases (sepsis)
- Other medical services
University Education and Professional Career
- Since 2002 C4 Professor and Head of the Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Endocrinology and Infectology at the University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich.
- 1997 - 2002 Managing Senior Physician, Department of Internal Medicine I, University Hospital Ulm.
- 1993 - 1997 Assistant Physician, Department of Internal Medicine I, University Hospital Ulm.
- 1986 - 1989 Research Fellow, Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Endocrinology and Infectology at the University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich.
- 2001 Extraordinary Professorship
- 2000 University Lecturer, Department of Internal Medicine I.
- 1996 Board certification in Internal Medicine.
- 1995 PD, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ulm.
- 1995 Habilitation in Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ulm. Subject: "Purification, cloning and characterization of the transcription NF-KB factor".
- 1987 Doctorate, University of Ulm. Subject: "The influence of glucose, insulin and opiates on the neuroendocrine regulation of the stomach" (with honors).
- 1979 - 1985 Study of Medicine at the University of Ulm.
Awards and Honors
- 2008 Heinz Maier-Leibnitz Medal, Technical University of Munich.
- 2005 Editorial Board, World Journal of Gastroenterology.
- 2004 Editorial Board, DIGESTION.
- 2002 Council of the International Association of Pancreatology.
- 2002 Editorial Board, Gastroenterology.
- 2001 Merckle Research Award, University of Ulm.
- 1998 Ludwig Heilmeyer Medal (silver), German Society for Advancement in Internal Medicine, Cologne.
- 1986 Wolf Boas Prize, German Society for Digestive and Metabolic Diseases, Salzburg.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- German Society of Internal Medicine.
- German Society for Advances in Internal Medicine.
- German Society of Gastroenterology, Digestive and Metabolic Diseases.
- Bavarian State Medical Association.
- German Cancer Society.
- German Society for Immunology.
- Working Group on Gastroenterology.
- German Pancreatic Club.
- Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.
- European Pancreatic Club.
- International Association of Pancreatology.
- American Gastroenterological Association.
- American Society of Clinical Oncology.
- American Association for Cancer Research.
- American Pancreatic Association.
- American College of Physicians.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Klinikum rechts der Isar der Technischen Universität München
Accommodation in hospital
- Program [Description]
Conservative treatment of ulcerative colitis with endoscopic method
- Hospital: University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich
There are 93 ulcerative colitis treatment hospitals on Booking Health websiteShow all clinics