University Hospital Tuebingen
Department of General Pediatrics, Pediatric Hematology and Oncology (113923)
Specialized in: general pediatrics, pediatric hematology, oncology
About the Department of General Pediatrics, Pediatric Hematology and Oncology at University Hospital Tuebingen
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of General Pediatrics, Pediatric Hematology and Oncology at the University Hospital Tuebingen ranks among the top German departments specializing in the treatment of diabetes mellitus!
The department offers an accurate diagnostics and effective treatment of general pediatric disorders, malignant pathologies and blood disorders. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Rupert Handgretinger. He is known as one of the world's leading specialists in stem cell transplantation in children suffering from leukemia.
The department is an international leader in stem cell transplantation in the case of leukemia, particularly in haploidentical transplantation, in which the parents can act as donors. In addition, the department specializes in the treatment of diabetes mellitus in childhood and adolescence, allergies and asthma, cystic fibrosis and rheumatism, as well as organ transplantations in children.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of cancers
- Chemotherapy (intravenous injection and intake of pills)
- Radiation therapy
- Surgical treatment
- Stem cell transplantation
- Diagnostics and treatment of hematological diseases
- Anemias (thalassemia, sickle cell anemia, globular anemia, etc.)
- Blood coagulation disorders (for example, idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura)
- HIV infection
- Bowel transplantation in short bowel syndrome
- Liver transplantation
- Kidney transplantation in kidney failure
- Diagnostics and treatment of kidney diseases
- Dialysis in children
- Chronic hemodialysis (between the ages of 0 and 18 years)
- Apheresis procedure, including leukapheresis
- Chronic peritoneal dialysis (between the ages of 0 and 18 years)
- Extracorporeal photopheresis in children
- Functional diagnostics of the kidneys, including 24-hour blood pressure monitoring and kidney biopsy
- Acute kidney failure
- Plasmapheresis and immunoadsorption
- Chronic kidney failure
- Congenital or acquired glomerulopathies and tubulopathies
- Polycystic kidney disease
- Congenital anomalies of the urinary tract
- Nephrotic syndrome
- Autoimmune kidney diseases (systemic lupus erythematosus, Wegener's granulomatosis, vasculitides)
- Genetic and syndromal kidney diseases
- Dialysis in children
- Diagnostics and treatment of allergies and bronchial asthma
- Food allergies
- Insect venom allergy (hyposensibilization)
- Atopic dermatitis
- Chronic bronchitis
- Breathing and lung disorders
- Functional diagnosis of the lungs
- Diagnostics and treatment of diabetes mellitus
- Comprehensive counseling
- Age-appropriate diabetes mellitus training
- Nutrition counseling
- Psychosocial care
- Insulin pump therapy
- Continuous blood glucose measurement
- Diagnostics and treatment of hormonal disorders
- Growth disorders (short stature, gigantism)
- Puberty disorders (early or delayed puberty)
- Adrenal cortex diseases
- Disorders of sexual differentiation
- Thyroid diseases
- Hormonal disorders in newborns
- Secondary diseases after tumor therapy
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, liver
- Hepatic failure: diseases of the liver and biliary tract, care before and after liver transplantation
- Intestinal failure: severe and complex eating disorders, (tube feeding, care before and after intestinal transplantation)
- Chronic inflammatory bowel disease
- Celiac disease
- Congenital disorders and malformations of the gastrointestinal tract
- Pancreatic diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of cystic fibrosis
- Diagnostics and treatment of rheumatic diseases
- Juvenile idiopathic arthritis
- Uveitis (eye inflammation)
- Juvenile systemic lupus erythematosus
- Juvenile dermatomyositis
- Juvenile scleroderma
- Autoinflammatory diseases/periodic fever syndromes
- Chronic recurrent multifocal osteomyelitis
- Behcet's disease
- Autologous stem cell therapy in autoimmune diseases
- Arthralgia (joint pain)
- Diagnostics and treatment of other diseases in children and adolescents, other therapeutic techniques
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Rupert Handgretinger
- 2011 - present Full Professor and Chair, Center for Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, University Hospital Tuebingen.
- 2005 - present Medical Director, Department of General Pediatrics, Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, University Hospital Tuebingen.
- 2000 - 2005 Full Professor, Department of Pediatrics, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, TN, USA.
- 2000 - 2005 Full Faculty Member and Director, Division of Stem Cell Transplantation, Department of Hematology and Oncology, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN, USA.
- 1994 - 2000 Head Physician, Department of General Pediatrics, Division of Hematology and Oncology, University Hospital Tuebingen.
- 1989 - 2000 Director, Stem Cell Processing Laboratory, University Hospital Tuebingen.
- 1996 Habilitation in Pediatrics, University of Tuebingen.
- 1989 - 1994 Pediatric Residency, Center for Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, University Hospital Tuebingen.
- 1989 Doctoral thesis defense, University of Tuebingen.
Scholarships, Awards and Administrative Functions
- 2015 - present Member, German National Academy of Sciences Leopoldina.
- 2014 Research Award of the Robert Pfleger Foundation.
- 2011 State Research Award of the State of Baden-Württemberg.
- 1994 German Board of Pediatrics.
- Stem cell therapy.
- Growth hormones.
- Leukemia in infants.
- Diabetes and kidney diseases in children and adolescents.
- Cystic fibrosis.
- Organ transplantation in children.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Tübingen
Department of General Pediatrics, Pediatric Hematology and Oncology.
University Hospital Tuebingen:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.