University Hospital Tuebingen
Department of Oncology, Hematology, Clinical Immunology, Rheumatology and Pulmonology (561993)
Specialized in: oncology, hematology, clinical immunology, rheumatology, pulmonology
About the department
The Department of Oncology, Hematology, Clinical Immunology, Rheumatology and Pulmonology at the University Hospital Tuebingen offers the full range of medical services in these fields. The department specializes in the treatment of lung, stomach and rectal cancer, sarcomas, therapy of malignant blood diseases using autologous and allogeneic stem cell transplantation, etc. In addition, in the field of autoimmune and rheumatological diseases, the department is one of the leading centers in Germany. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Lothar Kanz.
The cancer patients are offered the full range of systemic therapy, as well as other methods of treatment. In particular, the department specializes in bronchogenic lung cancer, metastatic colorectal cancer, advanced gastric cancer, sarcomas, etc. In the field of hematology, special focus is on the treatment of multiple myeloma, myelodysplastic syndrome, all types of leukemia, lymphomas, allogeneic and autologous bone marrow transplantation. Each patient receives an individual treatment program corresponding to the relevant international standards and protocols.
In the field of pulmonology, the department offers the treatment of all diseases of the lungs and respiratory tract. Particular attention is paid to the diagnostics/treatment of bronchogenic lung cancer. The Laboratory for Functional Diagnostics has all modern methods for the assessment of complaints associated with the respiratory system. For example, to assess lung function, the doctors use spirometry and the whole-body plethysmography, interventional bronchoscopy, etc. For the therapeutic purposes, bronchoscopy is used in respiratory tract occlusion due to the tumors and foreign bodies, pulmonary emphysema, etc.
In addition, the department has exceptional expertise in the field of immunological, rheumatological and autoimmune diseases. The department ranks among the leading European centers for the treatment of progressive systemic scleroderma. The department is proud to be the only center in Germany, which offers autologous stem cell transplantation for the treatment of this disease.
The diagnostic and therapeutic range of the department includes the following options:
- Multiple myeloma
- Lung cancer
- Stomach and colon cancer
- Myelodysplastic syndrome
- All types of leukemia
- Malignant lymphomas
- Allogeneic stem cell transplantation, haploid stem cell transplantation
- Diagnostics and treatment of rheumatological diseases (for example, autologous stem cell transplantation in scleroderma, etc.)
- Diagnostics and treatment of benign and malignant diseases of the lungs and respiratory tract (non-invasive ventilation, bronchoscopic lung biopsy, etc.)
- Diagnostics and treatment of other diseases in the areas of specialization
- 1972 - 1978 Study of Medicine at the University of Freiburg.
- 1978 Thesis defense on the subject: "Subcellular localization of prostaglandin synthase".
- Internship in the Department of Internal Medicine at the University Hospital Freiburg.
- 1985 - 1987 Specialization in Hematology/Oncology.
- 1987 Doctoral thesis defense on the subject: "Human megakaryocyte progenitor cells".
- 1994 Invitation to the position of (C4) Professor of Internal Medicine at the University of Hannover, then to the position of (C4) Professor of Internal Medicine at the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Tuebingen.
- Since 1995, Medical Director of the Department of Oncology, Hematology, Clinical Immunology, Rheumatology and Pulmonology at the University Hospital Tuebingen.
Awards and Prizes
- Goedecke Research Award of the University Hospital Tuebingen.
- 1996 European Scientific Prize in Hematology.
Department of Oncology, Hematology, Clinical Immunology, Rheumatology and Pulmonology.
University Hospital Tuebingen:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.