University Hospital Tuebingen
Department of Cardiology (561996)
Meinrad Paul Gawaz
Specialized in: cardiology
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Cardiology at the University Hospital Tuebingen ranks among the top German departments specializing in the treatment of cardiovascular diseases!
The department offers a wide range of services for the diagnostics and treatment of heart diseases. The priorities of the clinical activities include the treatment of coronary heart disease, arrhythmias, cardiomyopathy and heart failure. The department's doctors also have advanced experience in the field of non-invasive imaging diagnostics of cardiac pathologies. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Meinrad Paul Gawaz.
The department operates a state-of-art Chest Pain Unit, which is certified in accordance with the standards of the German Society of Cardiology. The patients with life-threatening and emergency cardiac conditions receive a competent medical care here. The medical team of the unit possesses the special qualifications and skills for the provision of the most prompt and effective medical care.
It is necessary to note that the department has gained an excellent reputation in the treatment of aortic stenosis. Since 2008, it has performed more than 900 procedures for the treatment of this disease, and almost all of them were successful. The department is one of the few in Germany and around the world, which successfully treats aortic stenosis using sparing techniques and, as a rule, without general anesthesia, which guarantees the highest level of safety for a patient.
The service range of the department includes:
- Non-invasive imaging diagnostics of cardiac diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of aortic valve stenosis (a sparing method of transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI))
- Diagnostics and interventional treatment of mitral valve failure (MitraClip technique)
- Diagnostics and conservative treatment of heart failure
- Diagnostics and treatment of atrial fibrillation
- Drug therapy
- Radiofrequency ablation, cryoablation, Roboterarm system for particularly difficult cases
- Diagnostics and treatment of ventricular tachycardia
- Drug therapy
- Radiofrequency ablation
- Diagnostics and treatment of blood clotting disorders and thrombosis (including thrombosis of the coronary vessels)
- Diagnostics and treatment of other cardiac pathologies
- 1981 - 1987 Study of Medicine at the Universities of Bochum, Ulm, Munich, Cambridge (England) and Stanford (USA).
- 1988 - 1989 Research Fellow at the Institute of Physiology, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich (Prof. Dr. Martin Klingenberg).
- 1989 - 1991 Scholarship of the German Research Foundation at the University of Louisville (USA) and Scripps Research Institute (USA) (Dr. Mark Ginsberg).
- 1991 - 1993 Research Fellow in the Department of Internal Medicine I, Grosshadern Hospital at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich (Prof. Dr. G. Riecker).
- 1993 - 1997 Research Fellow in the Department of Internal Medicine I, University Hospital Rechts der Isar of the Technical University of Munich (Prof. Dr. A. Schömig).
- Since 1997, Senior Physician in the Department of Internal Medicine I, University Hospital Rechts der Isar, German Heart Center Munich, Technical University of Munich.
- 1995 Habilitation and Venia Legendi in Internal Medicine, Technical University of Munich.
- 1996 Specialization in Cardiology.
- 1999 Appointed as an Extraordinary Professor, Technical University of Munich.
- 2004 Alexander Schmidt Prize of the Society for Thrombosis and Hemostasis.
- 2004 Specialization in Angiology.
- Since 10.2004, Head of the Department of Cardiology at the University Hospital Tuebingen, as well as (C4) Full-time Professor of Internal Medicine/Cardiology, University of Tuebingen.
- German Society of Internal Medicine.
- German Society of Cardiology.
- German Society for Internal Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine.
- Society for Thrombosis and Haemostasis Research
- German Atherosclerosis Society.
- European Society of Cardiology.
- European Platelet Group.
- German Society of Angiology.
- International Society for Thrombosis and Hemostasis.
Main Research Focuses
- Inflammation and thrombosis mechanisms.
- Microcirculation in ischemia.
- Atherogenesis and atherosclerosis.
- Platelet function.
- Cell adhesion and regeneration.
- Platelet interaction with progenitor cells.
- Antithrombotic therapy in patients with high cardiovascular risk.
Department of Cardiology.
University Hospital Tuebingen:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home