University Hospital Tuebingen
Department of Endocrinology, Diabetology, Angiology and Nephrology (561999)
Specialized in: endocrinology, diabetology, angiology, nephrology
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Endocrinology, Diabetology, Angiology and Nephrology at the University Hospital Tuebingen ranks among the top German departments specializing in the treatment of diabetes mellitus!
The department offers the full range of accurate diagnostics and optimal treatment of diabetes mellitus, diseases of the endocrine organs, kidneys, as well as pathologies of arteries and veins. The department's doctors have in their arsenal the very latest diagnostic methods, traditional and innovative therapeutic options. In addition, the department's specialists pay due attention to the exhaustive consultations and individual, careful medical care of each patient. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Dr.h.c. Hans-Ulrich Häring.
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
- Diabetology (certification of the German Diabetes Association for the treatment of type 1 and 2 diabetes mellitus)
- Comprehensive express diagnostics of patients with diabetes mellitus
- Continuous blood glucose measurement and follow-up correction of treatment in diabetes mellitus
- Differential diagnostics of diabetes mellitus (including genetic testing)
- Screening of all components of metabolic syndrome
- Screening in diabetes-related complications (micro- and macrovascular complications in diabetes mellitus)
- All types of glucose-lowering therapy (diet, exercise, drug therapy with pills, all types of insulin therapy)
- Combination therapy
- Insulin pump therapy, including sensory insulin pumps
- Diet therapy and lifestyle modification for the prevention of the development of pathology
- Treatment of diabetes-related complications
- Laboratory examinations, in particular hormone diagnostics
- Endocrine function tests
- Examination of metabolic processes
- Genetic examinations
- Ultrasound diagnostics
- Doppler and duplex scanning
- Needle biopsy
- Scintigraphy (in collaboration with the Department of Nuclear Medicine)
- Radiological examinations (X-ray, CT, MRI, in collaboration with the Department of Radiology)
- Treatment of endocrine diseases
- Treatment of lipid metabolism disorders and other metabolic disorders
- Interdisciplinary obesity treatment
- Nephrology (diagnostics and treatment of kidney diseases, arterial hypertension)
- Peritoneal dialysis
- Kidney biopsy
- Diagnostic capabilities
- Color duplex sonography
- Bidirectional doppler ultrasound
- Acral pulse oscillography
- Treadmill ergometer
- Capillary microscopy
- Reflex light rheovasography (diagnostics of venous function)
- Transcutaneous partial pressure measurement of oxygen (TcPO2)
- Digital photoplethysmography
- Digital subtraction angiography
- MR angiography
- CT angiography
- 24-hour blood pressure monitoring
- Intima-media thickness determination
- Diagnostics and treatment of the following vascular diseases
- Peripheral vascular occlusive disease
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Varicose veins and chronic venous insufficiency
- Raynaud's phenomenon
- Thromboangiitis obliterans (Buerger’s disease)
- Vascular malformations
- Diabetic foot syndrome
- Extracranial cerebral artery stenosis
- Secondary arterial hypertension (renal artery stenosis)
- Mesenteric artery stenosis
- Thrombophilia screening (in collaboration with the Department of Hematology)
- Diagnostic capabilities
- Other medical services
- Since 1996, Head of the Department of Endocrinology, Diabetology, Angiology and Nephrology at the University Hospital Tuebingen.
- Since 1998, Senior Physician, Department of Internal Medicine III, Munich-Schwabing Hospital and Diabetes Research Institute.
- 1987 Habilitation and appointment as PD of Internal Medicine, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 1983 Assistant, Department of Internal Medicine III, Munich-Schwabing Hospital, Diabetes Research Group.
- 1982 - 1983 Fellow of the German Research Foundation, Joslin Diabetes Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, United States.
- 1977 - 1980 Assistant at the Diabetes Research Institute, Department of Internal Medicine III, Munich-Schwabing Hospital.
- 1977 Doctoral thesis defense at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 1976 - 1977 Assistant Physician, Munich-Schwabing Hospital, as well as the Maimonides Medical Center, Brooklyn, New York, USA.
- 1969 - 1975 Study of Medicine in Freiburg and Munich.
Positions in Scientific Societies and Organizations
- 2002 - 2006 Dean in Charge of Research, University of Tuebingen.
- Board Member of the German Diabetes Research Center (DZD).
Awards and Honorary Memberships
- 2016 Mering Gold Medal of the German Diabetes Center (DDZ).
- 2015 Claude Bernard Prize.
- Since 2013, Member of the National Academy of Sciences Leopoldina.
- 2011 Hellmut Mehnert Prize (in collaboration with Errol Morrison).
- 2010 Dr.h.c. of the University of Athens.
- 2008 Paul Langerhans Medal of the German Diabetes Association.
- 1989 Oskar Minkowski Prize of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes.
- 1987 Ferdinand Bertram Prize of the German Diabetes Association.
- 1978 German Diabetes Association Award for the Doctoral Thesis.
Main Focuses of the Research Activities
- Pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes mellitus.
- Risk factors for diabetes mellitus.
- Prevention of diabetes mellitus.
- Gene-environment interaction.
- Molecular biology in metabolic disorders.
Department of Endocrinology, Diabetology, Angiology and Nephrology.
University Hospital Tuebingen:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home